Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

xanax mix?

ok this is a question i have...im taking 2 xanax a day now in 1/4's but i have only 3 left..can i take a 1/4th then melatonin and so on to kinda rotate or is that a bad mix?
or sleep aid? or should i just call and find me some more xanax's? lol sorry but im kicking hydro's and well i tried to kick them both but i need these to kick the other and then plan on working on them. i just felt it was too dangerous to kick those 2 meds at one time being what they are..
k any ideas would be great
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
yea i tried to talk to my dr yesterday and got shafted. Besides trust me this forum vs him..id get more n better advice here. He has no clue to me taking hydro's ..he knew from blood work i took a few ..for mowing..but i never said to him i was addicted..as no addict would i guess. so with him..im taking the subtle appraoch and just asking to taper my xanax since he had me on them for these 5 yrs. i asked him once before to taper me off and he said..now prolly isnt a good time( my mom just had surgery and i had to stay with her)
he has never wrote me pain meds because he knows my family and knows that i would been perfect for addiction..and he was right. i just never could admitt it til now. i did make it like 5 days without xanax n hydro's and yes your right the tole it ws taking on me was wayy to much. i was scatter minded and couldnt even watch tv or read more than a few words at a time.
as soon as i took my first one..my head cleared up and i was able to listen to ppl and it make sense. i was afraid that i was causing damage to my brain and so i did start them back. they dont really make me sleep ..my tolerance to them is way to strong but they do make it easier for me to try to sleep. so thats why i asked about mixing the mel with em..not taking them at the same. but using the mels to sleep. thanks for the advice =)
Helpful - 0
202347 tn?1189755825
It is very dangerous to stop taking the xanax without tapering and tapering slowly. Any benzodiazepine (ativan, valium, librium, xanax, etc.) should never be stopped cold turkey, withdrawals can cause convulsions, acute delirium, seizures, stroke, and can be fatal even in young and healthy people and your risk would be increased if you are also withdrawing from an opiate like hydrocodone. Melatonin should be fine to take with the xanax, your body makes melatonin on its own to help you sleep but can only be produced during the dark phase (techy way to say it only gets produced when you're in the dark :)  I've taken xanax a little over 3 years, I take a few melatonin pills every once in a while to sleep. You should always talk to your doctor first before you take anything new even if it is a natural supplement, every drug is just increasing chemicals your body already makes, just have to be sure they don't conflict with each other in certain amounts.

xoxo- D.
Helpful - 0
humm yea..well ive been taking the xanax for 5 yrs straight and right before i decided to kick it..i gave mine away..well a cpl days ago i was feeling the wd's from them and the hydro's totally dif game there folks. so i got 10 and have been tapering kinda. instead of 2 full ones i space them out during the day just to ease the anxiety and stress which helps with the cravings(i dont have any for hydro's now) but i was taking the mel before and they didnt help me at all.
i think ill either try to find somemore til saturday or see what happens again when im out. but i thought id ask to see if anyone took benzo's and something else also.
Helpful - 0
i've heard from many sources that the best bet is benzo's (valium, klonopin, etc.)  not only does it help sleep, but unlike many other sleep aides (ambien, lunesta, blah) it works on the anxiety that's going on, too. the others don't.

i would not recommend that tho, if you've ever had a prob with these types of drugs (benzo's.)  for me, i've always been able to take them or leave 'em.

last nite i took a klonopin and a 2 sonata (like ambien) and girlfriend SLEPT.

if you can get something like that, i'd give it a shot.

as for the melatonin, i'm not a doc, but i don't know why that would give any kind of bad reaction except for bad dreams! BUT - I AM NO DOCTOR!!! so take that with a grain of salt...

good luck, doll..

:)
mj
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
I would keep tapering the xanax a bit longer.. call a local pharm and see if you can take melatonin with it... I am not sure..
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.