Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

nosey insurance companies!

Well, I am sure you can all imagine what this post is about.  One of my biggest fears came true today when I went for my monthly appointment at the neurologist who prescribes my methadone and endocet.  He said he had gotten a letter from my insurance company stating that I was also getting hydrocodone from another local physician.  I thought I was going to faint and of course assumed that I was not going to be receiving my prescriptions today - think I was starting to go through withdrawal right there in the office at just the thought of the nightmarish days, nights, and weeks ahead.  Of course, I also know that it could be the best thing for me in the long run, I would have to be stupid to not know that.  Anyway, so I said, "well if it is a problem I will stop taking the hydrocodone" and he said "no, it isn't a problem but we might just need to do things in a different way".  I have no idea what he meant by that because the subject was dropped then and he went on to discuss my high blood pressure and need to lose weight, etc.  So, he ends up writing my two prescriptions like always which was a relief.  But the doctor who was prescribing the hydrocodone is a very old friend, I went to work for him when I was 19 and worked there many many years, we have had a very close relationship over the years, our kids grew up together and our families even vacationed together, he delivered all there of my children and has operated on me five times.  I do know without a doubt that he will no longer prescribe for me and I would be afraid to do it anyway, not wanting to take a chance on losing my methadone.  After all these years, I do have chronic pain and chronic headaches, it is going to be hard for me to do without the Lorcet in more ways than one.  I guess that is the least I can do though is cut out one of my pills, maybe it will lead to eventually getting off the other two.  I am going to try to look at this as a positive thing, right?  It was eventually bound to happen, don't even ask me why I filed my insurance on all of the meds anyway, one more stupid thing I have done in this lifetime.  Well, I just needed someone to vent to, it is not like there are a lot of people I can discuss this with!  I know so many people here are in the middle of withdrawal right now or either in recovery, and I am ashamed to even post knowing that I do not have the courage yet to do what you are doing.  Don't give up on me though and hope you don't mind if I keep coming here until the day comes that I do get up the courage.

Thanks so much for listening!

Love, Cindy
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
217599 tn?1202850952
i agree with dave, no cold turkeys, and slow taper.  you never said how long you have been on the methadone or how much, but that will have a lot to do with how long it takes to go through wd's.  like Dave, i stopped too quickly, cold turkey on the vicodin and xanaax and 20 mg's of methadone all at the same time.  tapered off of the rest of the methadone, under my dr's care.  maybe your old friend will help ou get off.  if he is a true friend he will be glad to.
Helpful - 0
Hi Cindy,you may not go through bad withdrawls from the Lorcet. Don't start
to worry just yet,I know it's easier said than done. I too,am on Methadone,or
was at least 10 days ago,but while on them,if I abruptly stopped the Oxy,
I only went through a mild hot sweat the next day,that was it. Don't get too
scared,you may also not have it too bad either. Just trying to give you some
encouragement and support.Just don't stop the Methadone cold turkey,like my stupid ass did,then as we all know,the ??it will hit the fan.Hang in there,
we are here for ya.
Helpful - 0
Welcome Cindy,

You know that you have a problem and that is the first step.  Coming here was very smart as well.

I would comment more but I am dead tired - I just wanted you to know that you are always welcome.

Hug,

Shelby
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.