Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Which narcotics offer the best pain control and least side effects?

My question is which narcotic Methadone or Oxycodone offers the best pain control and has the fewest side effects?
8 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
My advice people on this board will take offense to this because many are trying to get over their addictions. There is an approriate forum where you can ask this. This is the addiction/substance abuse forum,

Thanks and kind regards
Alex
Helpful - 0
i believe methadone is a longer lasting med and oxycodone is for breakout or breakthru pain, ( works now for a short period ). the side effects as they pertain to this forum are physical dependancy or addiction to either drug,
Helpful - 0
Well with all the research I have been doing lately.... it is really rare that they will prescribe methadone for pain.  That was what it was orig made for back in the day but is mainly now used for opioid addiction treatment.  The reason is the half-life is so long in methadone that it is one of the most overdosed medications.  Least side-effects in my opionion are going to be your shorter half-life such as hydrocodone and oxycodone.  Now oxycodone does come in extended release that just makes it oxycontin.  All are addictive but with all the advice I have been getting about the methadone that is the most addictive and hardest to quit.   So you should be careful with any of those.  Your doctor will be able to find what is best for you and your pain situation.  Best of luck to you!
Helpful - 0
Hey Laura,please think of Methadone as a last resort drug. If you've read any
of the archives or rescent posts about Methadone,it's side effects on it and
off of it,you'll be advised by myself and most to never touch it,period.If there
was one drug out there,that I'd try to scare someone away from or off of,Methadone would be the one. As far as I'm aware,my pain management
Dr. prescribed me Methadone approx. 4 years ago,I've been also taking some
form of breakthru drug.The Methadone,for me,never helped my cronic pain
whatsoever.never got me high,just got me deathly sick when I quit it cold turkey 11 days ago.It could take up to a month for the withdrawls to finally
subside,so keep this in mind,when your Dr. mentions this drug to you as an
option. Good luck.
Helpful - 0
Hi Dave,  I feel the same about methadone as you do.  It never helped my pain, never gave me a feeling of euphoria, just keeps me from going into withdrawal from my opiate addiction and of course makes me so sick I want to die the few times I have run out early.  It took two times of that hell before I actually started taking my RX as prescribed, I knew I could not go through that again.  So, guess that was one good thing it did, make me take my meds as prescribed to avoid running out early, but then it never seems like I have enough, especially if I am in real pain because it takes so much now to alleviate even the most minimal pain.  To the original poster, listen to Dave, stay away from the methadone.

Love, Cindy
Helpful - 0
Thanks for the kind words Cindy. My wife told me that when I was in surgery
for my first hip replacement,that the Dr. had to give me Methadone to help
the pain meds work. I used to be a Coke and Alcohol addict before I had my
surgeries. I did go to a rehab and got completely clean of everything,but only
after 2 months had to get 2 hip replacements from the bone disease the drugs
gave me. The Dr. still treated me like a junkie,which was uncalled for,right?
Anyway,I guess he thought there was no other option for me,than to give me
Methadone.After the surgeries,the PM Dr. just prescribed me Methadone
also,where the surgeon left off. I didn't know anything at that time about Methadone,or I would have never let them give it to me. I just thought that the
Dr. knows best,and I'll take what they give me.I've only been on this forum for
a few days,but I'm really glad there are such nice people on here,willing to
help everyone,and I'll do the same,also. Thanks Cindy,and everyone for listening to my ramblings and I'll try to help anyone I can,also.God Bless.
Helpful - 0
198154 tn?1337787265
wait....what???
isnt this an addiction forum???
Helpful - 0
217599 tn?1202850952
I am a recovering methadone, norco and xanax addict.  the norco was much easier to kick than was the methadone.  norco is a much stronger form of vicodin.  less tylenol, more hydrocodone.  the methadone is extremely hard to kick.  it took me two weeks to taper off and now i am totally off for 9 days.  still having symptoms, though getting better every day.  i am only telling you  my experience cause i don't want anyone to have to go through what i have been through.  methadone should never be prescribed unless the person is terminal in my opinion.  anyway, hope that helps you decide.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.