Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Today day 13 my huge leap

today on day 13 as fathers day is coming up..
in 2002 right before christmas my dad died from drug related causes. he had sorrocis for many yrs along with hep c. every yr i said ..dad wont make another one. for yrs i watched him battle addicted and the pains that went with it. he filed for disabilty to get money to see dr's but was denied everytime and that set him back off to harder drugs. at age 50 he went from 5th's of liquor and pills to shooting up almost anything until his brother died of a massave heart attack at age 36. after the funeral my dad shot up one more time and blew a vien and called me and was worried and said he didnt want to die he wanted help. he checked hisself into a local rehab and only lasted a few days in there. i watched him die a little everyday and now here i am detoxing from the very thing that started his lifeless yrs.
my goal was to be able to go to the cemetery by fathers day and place those flowers there and say..i beat it. i think doing that will close alot of emotional bumps for me and today is the day i am taking my daughter with me to do this.
sorry this isnt an inspring or informative post or even has meaning but i felt the need to share this and the ways i am overcoming my addiction..the things that are behind me pushing to the goal. sometimes you have to see the bad to be able to see the good and i think just by admitting and asking for help everyone is 2 steps ahead of their addiction.

8 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I know it will be a tough day for you. Mother's day is always hard for me. You know he is with you and feels your love. We are so lucky to have had parents whom we love so and although they are no longer physically with us, they are watching over us and loving us. (((((((Tnbrown)))))  Peace to you always and you will never be alone.

Love,
Tim
Helpful - 0
I am so proud of you sweet lady!!! Day 13, wooooohoooooo!!!!
Helpful - 0
214607 tn?1287677559
There you are sweetie...I was looking for you.

Congrats on day 13...you are doing so well. I am proud of you.

I also lost both of my parents to drugs/alcohol...My mother when I was 11, Liver Cancer, and my father at age 18, overdose.

It has been a long road for me...only to lose my own husband from the same mistakes..You would think I would have learned.

I will be thinking of you this Fathers Day...It is so hard to not have a father. Even when my father was here, he wasn't a father...so sad...

Good luck sweetie...take care...

Lisa
Helpful - 0
I know there must be so many emotions you are dealing with today.  I think what you are doing today is a good choice.  Even if it doesn't completely close this chapter in your life - I am sure it will help with your healing process. I lost my father when I was 11.  I can understand how hard this is.  I will be praying for you!

Love, Shelby
Helpful - 0
209656 tn?1272297065
Hi there,

Good Job on day 13!!!

I hope you hang tight, through this time of year, with it being hard for you!

You'll be in my prayer's!

God Bless and Lots of Love to you!

Todd
Helpful - 0
Your post truly touched me.  I'm think your father would be very proud of you! You are doing this and trying to break this viscious cycle that he was unfortunately unable to do.  Now your child has someone to look up to and can see the strength and diligence in you!  I believe your father is with you in spirit and is really pulling for you to win this battle too! It is truly bittersweet but should be a great motivator for you to stay in recovery! Thank you so much for sharing that with us!

Peace,
Marcie:)
Helpful - 0
177036 tn?1192286635
Take heart that you are getting the job done that is so hard to do.... People die from this disease just like my dad did.... I don't want that for my children.  DAY 13 IS HUGE!!!
Helpful - 0
217599 tn?1202850952
day 13. wow. im on day 9.  i lost my dad this last year too.  really hard father's day for me.  i totally understand.  i am so proud of you for kicking the generational curse in your life.  you can do it totally, and never have to go through it again.  i know that is my determination.  we are stronger than we think.  and this forum helped me at the end.  i never found it till after i was clean, wish i had found it sooner, sure it would have helped me.  oh well, i can help others and make something positive come out of the mess, right?

Lucy
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.