Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Addicted to benzos - am taking so many - need advice please!!!

Hi all. I have been on ativan for years it seems. I can't get off of it am 36 now.  Stopped working and was just working on my withdrawl symptoms (and taking way too much, more than supposed  to). Popping like candy.  I just started klonipin instead thinking that would work better, it is not. I took 1 mg that I had and it seemed to help but now they are not working at all. bad batch of them? don't know.  I took like ten .5 mgs yesterday, i know bad. I feel like ****. I don't know what to do. Have always suffered from anxiety my whole life, but working with my therapist to deal with the triggers of my anxiety. Haven't been able to work much this week, but boss out of town so no one hopefully knows. Don't have much to do anyway. I am beyond hope about this already. I even drink with the benzos & my body does not react really.  I want off of these horrible pills already!!!!!!!!!!!!!    I am so sorry went on them in first place. My nurse practioner who prescribes me meds wanted to put me on Lyricia (a pain med) as a subsitution for the benzos, but I couldn't affford it (no insurance, I am a consultant/temp). Does anyone know about that drug? My dad says it is a class 5 controlled substance, my internist says it is not. I can't find much about it on internet for anxiety.  My dad was a pharmacist and just tells me to taper off the benzos, I have tried and works sometime, but I am under extreme stress right now as my contract at my job ends at end of June and I am so much better when I am working. Things also not going well with the boyfriend. I get really sick sometimes when I don't work. I have done really well at my job this past year and have a boyfriend for the past year as well (he thinks I have gone off the benzos as he does not want an "addict" as a gf or wife).  Anyone have any advice for me?   I know I have to start working out as that helps...cut out caffiene for the most part. What do I do???????????????????????????????????????????????? i am at my wits end. My brain is not functioning today after all the klonipin i took yestereday. Thanks!!!!!!
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
177036 tn?1192286635
Have you thought about going into a formal detox facility?
Helpful - 0
Benzo's are dangerous to just stop taking - I am surprised you Dad did not tell you that.  You will need to taper - but it is a slow process with Benzo's.  Please see a Doctor about this.

Shelby
Helpful - 0
I am going through WICKED Benzo withdrawal right now.  You NEED to see a dr.  You can not do this alone.  If you go off of benzos abruptly you will be at high risk for seizures.

I have been taking high doses of Valium, Xanax, Ativan, and Klonopin for 17 years.  I did go to rehab and detox but they took me off of Valium way to quickly.

Right now I am suffering from almost every benzo withdrawal symptom in the book.  I have sensitivity to light and sound, dizziness, ringing in my ears, uncoordination, and lots more.  My dr put me on a small dose of Valium to try to ease some of the withdrawal.

Best of luck to you.  Please get some help.  I would not want you to go through what I am going through.

Liz
Helpful - 0
No I do not want to go into a detox/rehab facility. I am on the most part a happy functioning part of this world.  I am doing better in my life actually then I have every been..job wise, directionwise, friends, socially etc. I have such great responsibility at work and just keep getting more although contract ending. I finally know what I want to do career wise and am awesome at it!!
I just go into these spirals where I take too much of the benzos, not all the time though. I don't find those type of facilities helpfull at all (was inpatient for my depression for a short period of time and it was horrible, made me worse.  These detox places - they just take you off the meds right, why can't I do that on my own. I am not I am working with my nurse pract. to get off the meds, not doing this on my own. My therapist does not have knowledge about this. My dad wants me to taper off, not just go off.  I may try that lyricia, working out, less sweets etc. I have too much going on anyway interviewing etc. to go into detox, maybe they have outpatient though that I can go to after work? Not sure about that though b/c no insurance and not much cash. Plus I don't really trust the mental health field, have had very bad experiences. I like my therapist and my nurse p. is ok but the pyschiatrists I have seen (except for one) & i have seen many have been out of their minds!!!  Sicker than me or anyone ele I know.
Helpful - 0
Welcome to the forum.....

If I may a couple thing about Benzo addicts......it is dangerous like alcoholics to detox without medical help, its dangerous......

There is a great book a true story called "I'm Dancing As Fast As I Can"

you can probably find it on Ebay used very cheap.....

For you I think it would be a great read.........
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.