Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

problem long-term codeine habit

Hi, this is my first post in this forum.
I don't really have a specific question but if I did, it would be "how can I quit using this stuff?", and to learn about that, I was just reading a number of comments and questions about codeine withdrawal, and actually it was somewhat comforting to read things from other people, things which I've experienced myself,because it gave me a sense of not being so alone with this codeine monkey.
I am 57 and a non-drinking "recovered" alcoholic. Alcohol was my big problem for many years but I quit it over a decade ago thanks to AA and a treatment center. However, I've kept taking codeine. As with many other people, it began "legitimately"  with a bad cough back in 1983, and a purchase of a codeine-containing cough syrup, which in this state is sold over the counter, but one has to sign for it and in fact, most pharmacies in this area are using a prescription-only policy.
     The two or three pharmacies that will sell it over the counter with a signature restrict its purchase, so that it is generally only possible for me to get two 4-oz bottles of the stuff a week, which is I think about 450 mg. codeine total per week, on average. I react very well to codeine and always have- I get some semi-euphoria, I geta pain-killing effect, and I am far more productive with codeine than without it. It doesn't make me nauseous or sleepy and never did even many years ago before I developed a tolerance and a habit. I still like the stuff, I have to admit; I just don't like the bondage to it and all the costs and driving and pretending that it seems is necessray to keep getting it.

So, I still like the feeling, of course. HOWEVER, if I go 3 days without it, on that third day I experience depression and fatigue and psychologically a lack of desire to do anything but stay in bed; I get irritable too. Usualy by the fourth or fifth day without it I can find a pharmacy to sell me another 4 ounces.

The particular pharmacist who is the one who is usually my best bet for buying it mpw insists (reasonably enough) that I limit the purchase to no more than one a week. Every time I get some, I think "I am going to quit this", but on the third or fourth day after that my body aches and all I can think of is how some codeine would make me feel relaxed, yet energetic, and pain-free.

I should add here that in the mid-1980's I had spinal surgery, and was prescribed tylenol with codeine, 30 mg per pill, for a few  months after the disc surgery, then the doc cut it off, but I continued to supply myself with codeine via buying the cough syrup.

So I don't have a real high-dose addiction, but definitely a "habit", or an addiction, and wish I didn't. I looked up this website to read about the withdrawal syndrome associated with codeine. I don't take enough of a dose to get the real horrors or sweats or shaking, I just get very depressed and lose all motivation when I don't take the stuff at least every three to five days. I'm glad it is not Tyleno#3, not because of the codeine but because I don't want to take acetomeniphen, expecially in the doses that #3 addicts have to take to get the needed codeine.

I DO have a chronic cough, and I DO have periodic pain in back or legs, but neither of those reasons explain why I've been taking this cough syrup containing codeine. The real reason is simply  that it makes me feel better, allows me to get up and go do things I need to do, has a physical and emotional traquilizing effect. But I don't want to tell the pharmacist that- even though he surely knows it. Its like a "don't ask, don't tell", situation: both the pharmacist and I quietly agree to the obvious fiction that I have a terrible cough that is bad enough to need narcotic cough medicine. But we both  know the truth, that I just have a codeine habit and that's the long and the short of it.

It's gotten to the point after all these years wher I can't easily envision a happy life without codeine. I feel that I would just be miserable without it, and not just for a few days but for a long time. Having that inner belief that "I can't quit" is very hard to overcome, but it might be the biggest factor keeping me habituated to the codeine. If I only believed I could live happily without it, it would make a big difference in the kind of efforts and commitment to quitting I could muster up. So I know I need to BELIEVE that it's possible. And I know is IS possible, with my logical mind, but my "emotional mind"- if there is such a thing- has me convinced that I'm just stuck and will probably use codeine until I die.  

Physically it seems to have no significant bad effects, except some minor constipation and appetite suppression; but having the feeling of being a slave to the stuff bothers me, and also it is embarassing to keep going into pharmacies that know darn well I am there to get codeine for its drug effect, not cough relief.

I'm really glad I'm not addicted to meth or crack or heroin or alcohol, since codeine is relatively benign compared to those drugs. but is's still a back-monkey and a financial drain I can't easily afford.

There, I've admitted it, that's a first step. I will continue to read the forum discussions about this problem, because it gives me hope as well as good advice, and also makes me realize that a lot of people have this problem, and that gives me some sense of a community of fellow sufferers. I know, from AA, that the fellowship/coommunity part of drug or alcohol recovery is so vitally important, and so am grateful that I can read here about the problems and solutions of other folks.

So I intent to keep coming back and reading here at this website and at others to continue to get info and advice and tips about this problem. Thanks to all who have written in thise forum pages about it. What you write may halp a stranger- like me, for example.

My other main problem is that I don't always know when to quit writing! So will end this post right here and then continue to read the experiences, etc. of others.
sincerely, "oldehippie"
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
1431273 tn?1283268820
i, too, have been an addict of this stuff for a long long time. almost 10 years. it started when i got in a car accident that didn't paralyze me but put me in a wheelchair for the rest of my life with severe pain. i've never snorted them or injected them, always taken them responsibly. the problem is that i'll take no more than 2 or 3 pills at a time, but i find myelf taking them so frequently i'm up to 20 pills or more a day of the 30mg oxycodones. eek. i am sooo physically and psycologically dependent on them it scares me. but the pain is so intense i hafta be on them. it's a viscious circle and i wish i could get off of them, but i can't because of the pain.

caryl anne.
Helpful - 0
Hi, I also struggle with the same thoughts that you have about giving up codeine.Would you like support with this? If so we can work together as the "Anti codeine buddies" smile, and get off this stuff.
Helpful - 0
177036 tn?1192286635
Sadly it's harder to get off of this stuff or at least takes more time to feel normal than other drugs.  I would suggest reading around... reducing your intake slowly if you can... tapering is probably the best way if you have the will power.  colonidine works well with the wd's
Helpful - 0
Sometimes I get so involved with my friends here I forget there are outsiders reading - and suffering.  I thought that there would be no way for me to survive without hydro or that I would ever be happy without it.  That is just NOT true though.  I am happier then I have been in a long time.  Sure I have moments that can be rough but I have been an addict for 10 years.  I cannot expect this problem to be cured overnight.  I am so glad that you posted.  It is a step in the right direction.  Please hear me though - life is so much better without that awful drug.  Everything makes more sense, I am forgetting less, I am starting to mend broken relationships - the drugs are all I thought of before - that was my life basically - just using.  Please continue to post and keep me updated of where you stand.

All my best,

Shelby
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.