Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

LIZZIE LOU

Hi there I was hoping you could help me out. From a mother's standpoint should I tell my mom about my addiction. I am just nervous that she wont understand but I feel like I haven't been like a son should be i.e. i am really short with her and i feel like she is getting on my last nerve. I haven't been the same fun old Alex and i think she is worried but she keeps on hounding me about things and I WANT to tell her i do but I am just worried. As a mother would you have wanted to know earlier? You give great advice to others and I am hoping for the same. In that same respect, i have been clean for 16 days - i just don't want to worry her about this too? any advice?

thanks in advance

Alex
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
217599 tn?1202850952
tell her.  i told mine and got total support.we live three states apart and i will get to see her toward the end of next week.  she will see that i am back to my normal personality, with a lot more wisdom, and humility.
i know i would love my kids through it, but i am blessed that they don't do pills or street drugs.  they are both very responsible and i am very proud of them.  my son will haardly take any kind of pill.  my daaughter is allergic to every antibiotc that is regularly used.  man my mind is fried tonight.  i have to concentrate on spelling, and that is usually my easiest subject.you need someone physically near, if possible. to keep an eye on you in case you need medical help. and if tapering, you need someone besides yourself to hold the pill bag.  best wiishes, and even much betterMay God bless you and keep you may he make his face to  shine upn you and give you peace.have a great nite.and i think i am headed that way right now.

Lucy

PS the reason for the lucyred  ismy name is lucindaa(lucy) and i have red hair
Helpful - 0
Thank you so much. I guess I just needed to hear this from another mother. I have a great relationship with my mom and I will tell her. Thank you for the encouragement and advice.

Big HUG back

Alex
Helpful - 0
186166 tn?1385259382
i would hate to know that my child was going through all of this alone...and that i was not able to be there to hold his hand...wipe his brow...and give him unconditional support and love.

i met a girl recently who was diagnosed with HIV on the same exact day that my son was.   she, like you, was going through this alone for fear of telling her mother.  she was afraid that her mother would judge her for the mistake she had made...one that could possibly take her life years before her time.  

i don't really know your relationship with your mom...but it sounds like it is good since you are wondering whether or not to tell her.   never doubt a mother's love AND understanding.   i strongly urge you to come clean with her.   addiction is a disease...just like HIV...for a lifetime.  you may not need her help and acceptance right now...but there may come a day when she is the only friend you have left in this world.   a mother will stand by your side when everyone else is gone.  i think you will feel better in the long run and i'm sure that after the initial shock is over...that she will probably educate herself about addiction so that she will have the knowledge to know how to help you if needed.

good luck alex...and tell your mom :)

huggs,
kim
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.