Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

NY Times Article on Pain Dcotors

Hi Everyone,

I've posted a few times, but mostly on another forum, although I am going through the same process as many of you. I picked up the NY Times today and in the Sunday magazine the cover story is: 'When is a Pain Doctor a Drug Pusher?'. I've read part of the article (hard to get through quickly with the flu, 9 months pregnant with a rambunctious two year old and nursing a broken tailbone on meds!), and thought it may be of interest to some people. I am not sure if the article is on line, but thought I would let people know in case anyone was interested in picking up a copy of the sunday times and reading something that may seem to pertain to a lot of us. Light Sunday reading! Hope it helps - and again, I haven't read it all, so I have no idea what slant they will take, but so far, it is interesting.
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
177036 tn?1192286635
Try this?  You might have to sign up for NY Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/17/magazine/17pain-t.html
Helpful - 0
177036 tn?1192286635
It's a great article as I am reading it now.. very long in depth... singing up for NY time online is free if your browser does not automatically go there... Excellant!  A must...
Helpful - 0
fish - wow, i had a totally different reaction! i got angry!!

i felt she had no idea - and hardly stressed - the abusive and addictive nature of these opiates.  i felt it was almost an endorsement!!!

i have to believe in my heart of hearts that a pill can be created (or has been already) that alleviates pain as well as the opiates but does not get you "high."

i'm gonna reread it again tho... cause that's weird we both had such a different take on it...
Helpful - 0
177036 tn?1192286635
HI Marcatj

I haven't actually read the whole thing..(10 pages) and haven't really made a judgment on edorsment or not just thought that some of the info was factual.

I'm reading right now.. just got back from church
Helpful - 0
177036 tn?1192286635
OK I read the whole thing.  I was very sorry to hear the Doctor got 30 years for his so called crime.  I believe that he was doing what he felt was good for people... just reading the last few lines but it is interesting that they talk about the dualality of the opiates.. to help or to harm....  I guess the article is kind of an endorsement but gee, If I were writing it I probably would have done the same because of the massive sentence the poor guy got....I dunno... I wasn't at the trial and one of the jurors was completely shocked over the sentence.  I would be too.
Helpful - 0
i agree with that part.  i don't think he should have received 30 years.  i do think, however, he was incredibly negligent - not paying enough attention, not having a proper understanding of - the drugs he was so freely prescribing.

i didn't get the sense the guy was in any a pusher, or even ill-intended, but he was negligent because of his ignorance.  which - in his line of work, with those types of narcotics - not so good...

xo-
mj
Helpful - 0
177036 tn?1192286635
Yea just some real poor judgement and not a 30 year kind of guy.  Very Sad... I'm sure justice will prevail and he will win some kind of appeal.  (I HOPE)
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.