Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Day 8 Isn't Going So Well

Well Its day 8, and things have went down hill from the previous 7, I really thought that once I made it this far, the worst would be over...Wrong! Its been the worst day I have had.  Sweats, weakness, aches, I feel like I have been beat with a ball bat.  My mind is foggy like I was on a big drunk.  Something I haven't done in years.  Even my eye sight is off, and seems to fade in and out.  Wow!  My hands hurt so bad, that even hurts to type this.  I took a vitamin, and a potassium pill, and have been drinking grapefruit juice.  The taste of the grapefruit juice seems to help with the bad taste in my mouth.  I took a shower after a bath in Epsom salt, but it didn't help much, sweating like a ditch digger again.  I also have been noticing I seem to smell these weird odors, like rotting meat, but there is nothing here like that.  I am having muscle spasm in places that I never had them before, my wrist, my feet, and my fingers.  I have no idea how much of the pain is real, and how much is because of the withdrawals. I took a couple of my Hydros earlier, and it helped for a while, but don't want to take to many of them either, so have been trying to just tough it out.  My temper is short, and my patience are none existent.  I try to just leave the rest of the family alone, and not interact, because I am so grouchy.  My memory is not working right, and I tried to make a phone call earlier, but after I dialed the wrong number three times, I just gave up.

I knew it would be tough though, after going off of morphine several years ago.  Some of that I don't remember to well either, at least now, but it seems to me if memory is close to right, that by the eighth day I was doing better than I am on methadone.  Don't know if anyone has ever went off of both cold turkey, but if so, they might tell me if my memory is correct.  I really thought that by the eighth day, things would be better than they are. I am wondering if methadone stores differently in the body than none synthetic narcos, or if I just don't remember right now.  Of course, it could be my age too.  Back when i went off the morphine, I was in my mid 40's now I am 55.  

I have hardly slept now since Friday night, and then worked 12 hours Saturday, so I am wore out to boot.  Don't have any Valium or Zanax, can't seem to take those kinds of meds because they take my blood pressure up for some reason.  I never did like sleeping pills, so don't have any of them, either.    

It rained here today, so I didn't have to work, thank God for that, don't thin I could have done it.  Don't know if I will work tomorrow either, may just take a few days off till this all subsides.

Thanks to all of you for your encouragement and support.  Hope all is better for those of you on this road I am on.

Will write more later.
Ren                      
8 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
i am so so sorry to hear how you are feeling...

all i can tell you is day 8 for me (saturday) i was a complete and utter disaster. (if you check the posts - you can see just how miserable i was...) i thought i was past it, but boy, was i wrong... it was just miserable.

today - day 10 - it is literally night and day.  it is the best i have felt yet.

our drug of choice was different, by i imagine you are in the home stretch.  it won't be much longer... just try, try, try to get through today.  tomorrow should be a much better day...

thinking good thoughts for you...

very warmly,
mj
Helpful - 0
217599 tn?1202850952
better take a few days off if you can.  Methadone is a long acting drug and the hydros just make it take longer.  i was two weeks flat out in bed with the methadone wd's.  you are having the exact same symptoms as i did, even down to the b o.  and other strange odors.  your sense of smell will get extremely sharp.  all your nerves are on edge.  i found bed was the only place for me fo 2 weeks, then i could start getting around a little and by the end of week 3 i was going to church again.  still weak though, although i just found out that it may be the xanax that i went off of ct that is causing that.  they are both extremely long acting.  you have been through the worst, it should slowly start getting better.  wish i could tell you that you are out of the woods, but i can't in all honesty.  youwill beat it though if you are determined and if you don't want to lose all you have been through already.  i am praying for you.

Lucy
Helpful - 0
im on day 16 (i think) i lost track the other day.
i went cold turkey and i do remember that i had a few good days after about day 5 then seemed to feel worse on my day 8 also..i remember this because i posted about it and someone(who i dont think is here now) told me i shouldnt feel bad on day 8 but good. well i knew how i felt and it was like you. my fingers and wrists ached really bad..i wanted to sleep but couldnt for the pain.
its a roller coaster ride up n down but for me around day 10 i really started to feel alot better. day 16..the only problem i have is staying awake..i want to sleep 24/7. but the vitamins help with that and i drink some energy drinks.
my emotional issues seemd to be gone today and i actually feel normal..so please dont give up..it does better. i know on a daily basis you ask yourself over n over..when does this stop..and i cant tell you what day for sure..but i do know it does. keep taking the hot baths n showers and doing what your doing and hang in there ok.
Helpful - 0
177036 tn?1192286635
I got to day 8 twice in detox and was pretty medicated and then day 8 off of suboxone... I got about 2 weeks off of that and went back on, because I have some extenuating circumstances which prevailed.  I didn't like the way I felt after 2 weeks and just caved in.  I will be on for at least a couple of months until I'm completely ready to wean off on a long taper... that's my choice but I would preach a shorter method.

My hat is off to you for getting this far... I know you are wondering if this is normal?  Did I really screw myself up?  Is it my age?

Age, Absolutely.
Normal, Yes!
The damage is temporary... The alcoholic brain, recovers much quicker than we do.  The rewards for hanging in there are huge.
Helpful - 0
182775 tn?1209736027
I wish there were some magic words that would help you through this.  I went off C/T back in January.   Last month I had to take codeine for pain and I am again going through W/D...fortunately, less severe and with more understanding on my part of the process.

If I could offer you any advice, it would be to do whatever you can to give yourself time without the daily stress of work and having to explain to people why you feel so lousy.

At first, I told folks I had the flu and needed 3-4 days.  When it became apparent that I was not going to finish W/D in 3-4 days,  I said, "They now think it is pneumonia".  That gave me several weeks without responsibilities or questions.

Also, throughout W/D I kept telling myself, "If only I could just take one pill and get some temporary relief from these symptoms."   Wrong !  The reality, of course, is that the one more pill just extends the W/D sypmptoms.  

Hang in there...soon the W/D symptoms will subside.  You will gradually rediscover your old self and wake up in the morning with a feeling of renewal and energy.  

BTW: I found cold water melon a great way to refresh my mouth during W/D and of course, lots of water to flush out the body.  

GEORGE

Helpful - 0
Wow! Thanks to all of you for all the compassion and understanding.  Where might be without all of you.  Been sitting here on the computer listening to music and reading from time to time.  About 2 hours ago things begin to let up at least for a while.

I know this is a mind over matter thing, and I just let it get out of hand their for a while.  As for the two months it will take to completely detox, I knew that from my experiences.  I was still getting leg snakes in the third month, but only for a few minutes, then they were gone.  

I know my mind is going through a lot of willpower adjustments.  All my life has been one adjustment after another.  Sometimes I have noticed in my own life that these are the hardest things to do, especially when there are physical ailments, and maybe even other mental stress as well.  Through out my life I have watched  people who could have made just a few adjustments, and made their own life much wasier, but they refused, and today many of them are no longer of this world.

i grew up in the 60's and seventies, went to Vietnam in 1971, was struck by a morter four months later, from there its been one adjustment after another.  The biggest blow was when I broke my back in three places in 1980.  From then until  last July, and a modern medical miracle.  My mind was always screaming at me, the depression and feeling of hopelessness was sometimes more than I wanted to take anymore, but I never gave up, and kept believing that things would some day some how get better.

This time last year I was scared to death.  What if things didn't work out.  What if it didn't work.  Fortunately, in my case, my surgeon was one of the top neurosurgeons in the Unites States, with over 1000 surgeries under his belt, and one of the most inspiring men I could ever want for my surgeon.  On the day of my surgery, i was so positive, and 16 hours when I woke up, my legs and feet were no longer numb, and most of the feeling had returned to my hands.  I have never looked back once and probably won't.  The pain that was there was more than I should have ever been able to stand, but somehow with some help from a lot of people, and a lot of pills, I made it through.  This w/d is another adjustment, but more than that it is a crusade.  Over the past year I have accomplished more than I ever imagined I could.  I have four sons and a 18 month old granddaughter, that are with me every minute in spirit if not presence.  My wife is behind me ever step of the way cheering me on, and I have a great life.  I just don't need these pills any more.  I am an example for a lot of people, and I won't let them down.  Just another step, just one more minute, just one more hour, one more day, thats where it got to start.

Sorry for rambling on, lol.  Wow!
Ren                  
Helpful - 0
Thank you for sharing your story.  I am on day 19.  This is my second longest period of being sober.  Recently, I went 3 months clean and was actually feeling almost completely normal.  I have been using Vic's for a decade now and also Soma (I would take them like candy).  When I read stories like yours - it helps me to hold on a little bit longer.  I have been having more and more good days - it is just my mind that needs the work now.  I am still getting tired easily.  I think I wear myself out mentally - I try to do too much.  I am sorry that you are having a hard time - your attitude is wonderful though.  You are staying so positive - despite the difficulty you are going through.  I am pulling for you!  I hope you feel much better tomorrow!

Shelby
Helpful - 0
217599 tn?1202850952
i am so proud of you.  you can make it.  you have been through hell and back already.. can your wife hold the pills while you taper or are you planning a cold turkey wd?  my hubby held mine wile i did a reall fast taper off methadone and quit the xanax and norco ct.  it was rough and i am still weak as a wet dishrag 13 days totally off, but it was worth every minute to not be a slave to the pills any more.  i'll say it again.......YOU CAN DO IT WITH GOD'S HELP.

Lucy
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.