Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Methadone vs.Suboxone

Good morning everyone. I have a question that maybe someone can answer. I am at 20mgs. of methadone, can anyone tell me if it would be easier to quit c/t or would I be better off going on Suboxone. I have detoxed from methadone once before but only lasted for 15 days. It seemed the withdrawels never ended. How long before you start feeling ok from w/d ? Any help would be great. Thank You
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
217599 tn?1202850952
i agree with Ffladdict.  the methadone has a really long half life, so a good taper would be best.  i hear that suboxone really helps so long as you determine to taper off it and time the end of your taper for a few days off if possible.  you can do it.  i quit 30 mg's methadone, 8 norco and 3 xanax daily.  quit the norco and xanax cold turkey, tapered the methadone, no suboxone.  we were falsly told that no-one gets off the suboxone or i would have used it.  anyway it's day 14 totally out of everything, i flushed it all, except the norco, which my hubby needs.  still weak and a little trouble sleeping, but so glad to be free.  once again, you can do it.   it is worth it.  God will help, just pray a lot.

Lucy
Helpful - 0
214607 tn?1287677559
Paul, I took Methadone to detox once and it was worst then detoxing from 1000mg a day of Oxy. It was a nightmare. I am not sure, but I would think it would be better to detox with Sub...Ask Fladdict. She would know...

Lisa
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
Will they let you wean down more from the meth???  The ones that make the switch to Sub have the best luck weaning down as low as possible.. I would do it.. YOu will have to be without methodone for 48 hours before making the switch.  You may need higher doses than some of us.. for the first few days to a week. then start tapering off of it.. A 21 day to a month for methodone would probably be best. Any longer and you will just become dependent on the Sub. which you want to avoid.
I am on day 5 of being off SUb and I feel good... not 100% but definatly 85%-90%. I only took it for 10 days.. long enough for my DOC to be out of my system and then long enough to taper...
If you need anything just ask...
Helpful - 0
183879 tn?1189755823
Hey there. I am like FLaddict.. I am also on SUB.. I also can only speak for me and no one else,. BUT... I have been on methadone and I got weaned off of it by being lowered   2 mlg at a time, and I wound up going back out.  This time around,. I was on Oxys, Perc's, Xanax's Herion and Coke. I have been eight days clean now. and I owe this to my three day detox and my suboxone. You have to weigh it all out paul. and remember my friend, to thine own self be true. What works for me, might not work for you, and what works for you, might not work for me. I wish you well, let me know how it turned out for ya. I can tell you this, there is alot of conterversary over the soboxone, some say we are trading one drug  for another and other's (Like myself) well say that it is a life saver.. cause you can't use as long as your on it. It has a blocker so if you tried to get high while your on it. you won't. Buit it does work for me. I have found that I can get on with life now and not be high. I am starting to have a halfass decent life now. I wish you well.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.