Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Nearing Day 10, and More Questions

We I am closing in on day 10, (somewhere I lost some time, I have been a day off for the past parts of 2 days, but when I looked at the calendar I realized i had quite on Saturday June   a week ago not a Sunday) just 1 more hour before I get to it, because I took my methadone at 6pm every night. One 10mg pill, and had been that for nearly two months.  Wow, can't believe how long this stuff holds on.  What a terrible way to live no matter how it goes.  Still there is no way back now, I couldn't take a pill if I wanted one, even though their are bottles full here, I have come this fair to turn back, now.  I finally got beyond my headache with a little sleep, till I awoke burning up, and seeing red, literally.  I mean everything had a red tint to it, it was weird, reminded me of my hippie days 25 years ago, and well, you get the picture.

Anyway, we are suppose to have some friends over for supper tonight, and I am wondering some things.  1) My wife ask if I wanted to have a bottle of wine with the meal.  She has been so kind as to know that I need fruit, so she is making shrimp and fruit kabobs on the grill. (I married a great cook.) Should I accept or pass on the bottle of wine?  2) Am I being foolish by even trying to entertain company while going through these withdrawals?  When we originally made the date for the meal, I was in Day 6, and things were looking pretty great at the time, of course things have went down hill for the past few days, but I am feeling better as Day 10 approaches.  3.)  My wife ask if I was going to tell them what I was doing, or not.  I didn't know what to say.  These are old friends who have known me for years, and know all of the turmoils I have been through, but if were to for some reason fail, what would I say then?  I know this might all seem trivial, but I sure could use some insight.

Thanks in advances as always, and best of luck to all,
Ren        
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I too detoxed off methadone. I was at 85mg for 5 years and detoxed slowly all the way to 4mg before stoping and it was still hell. The reason I am saying this is because I still drink. I know I should and will eventually stop but the thought of stopping both was too much. If you are wondering if a drink or two will compremise your detox, I don't think so. Some may disagree, but you are doing great, just know it's the pills that are the problem and it is possible to have a social drink without going back to the pills. This is just my opinion but I think you'll be fine. Just stay focused on what was the real problem. Hope this helps.
Helpful - 0
183879 tn?1189755823
Hey there my friend. I can only speak for myself and no one else..But. I think (in my opinion) that you should pass.. Your only switching one for another.. I know for me. I have to do it all the way, not partway. remember.. TO THINE OWN SELF BE TRUE..... we are responsible for our own actions.. just remember to really check yourself before making that decision.... ask yourself, what are my motives in wanting to take that drink.. one things leads to our choice drug after awhile. I am asking that you please be careful.. think think think. take care and let me know how it turns out
Helpful - 0
First let me say you are doing great!  You have access to those pills but you have your mind set - that's wonderful.  

I have had a drink every now and then - but I never became an alcoholic.  My drug of choice has always been pills.  I am sure as addicts we need to be more careful.  Having said that - if we abuse one thing that does not necessarily mean we are going to abuse every other addiction.  Just becareful.

I have never told anyone besides the people here that I am an addict.  I know I feel so much better now that I got that burden off of my chest.  I still wish I could tell my family but I am not ready to do that yet.  I want to become emotionally stable before I start telling other people.  Those are just my feelings on the subject.  Have a wonderful night!

Shelby
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
I would not drink while still in WD.... it would be too easy to subsitute... also since your body is still fighting giving it alcohol probably won't help...
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.