Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
220248 tn?1204273389

please have some questions from the great people in this forum

hi my wife has a depression problem i was wondering if any one could recomend a decent anti -d pill or ones to stay away fromshe is seeing the dr today but dr can somtimes not be to smpatatic like this forum ive been readin posts for months but never posted we are both quitin opiates its day 4 thanks thomas and his mirical methed
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
177003 tn?1266270355
There are different kinds of depression. Environmental and situational can cause depression, but an antidepressant won't really help much. If it's chemical due to lack of serotonin in the brain, then the right antidepressant could help a lot.
You mentioned mood swings and said they run in her family. That is worth looking in to.

I hope YOU can get away from the fentanyl. I know some people eat it, as you do, and some even shoot it. I guess I just hate fentanyl because I should never have been put on it. I was Rx'd for me for post op pain. It says on the box to not use it for that reason. If you aren't addicted to it, I'm jealous. lol  Maybe you're just not an addict.

Good Luck to Both of You......LS
Helpful - 0
220248 tn?1204273389
yes i do cut them open and eat them well not in almost 5 days my wife has issuies from her childhood with her mother that whont listen.some days it seems like she dont whant to live others she is pretty ok but she has a family history of bipolor grandma and her mom is a little of her rocker so im shure shes got some kind of mental difunction
Helpful - 0
177003 tn?1266270355
I was dx'd with chemical depression when I was 19. Many years ago. None of the new SSNI's and SSNRI's work for me. I am on one of the oldest antidepressants. Amiltriptyline (elavil) They're in a whole different family of antidepressants. I can't tell you what your wife will do well on, but her dr. should be following her progress so he /she would know if it's working for her.
I wish her all the luck in the world.

I couldn't help notice your nick name. Do you cut the patches open and eat the fentanyl?? I'm on the fentanyl pain patches and I'm finally almost off of them. Boy....talk about addictive!!!!

The Best to Both of You......LS
Helpful - 0
I have to deal with depression like others have to deal with diabetes.  some of us have such low serotonin levels that it just doesn't help to go off anti-depressants.  I've been on/off for 27 years. Unfortunately there's no test for serotonin.  I know Cymbalta worked great for me, 'cause  it helps with pain AND depression but it worked counter to some other necessary meds I have to take (not opiates).  I was also re-diagnosed as being bipolar, so I'm on Lamictil.  It helps as long as I take it regularly.  Every one that needs antidepressants needs them for different reasons; some are 'organic' like mine, and some are 'situational' meaning  the depression will pass.  Only a trained psychiatrist can adequately Rx for your wife.  Good luck.  
  Hang in there with your detox...  
Helpful - 0
Is there a way to find out what is depressing her so bad and try to fix the problem instead of medicating her?
Helpful - 0
214607 tn?1287677559
Well, I dont have too much experience in the depression meds dept. I know I probably could use them...lol..

I have heard good things about lexapro and prozac....Good luck to you and your wife....
\
Lisa
Helpful - 0
Day 4 and you are feeling ok?  That is wonderful - I guess the Thomas Recipe must be working!  Are you taking the any benzo's?

The anti-depressant I am on is prozac - helped with my general depression - still got very depressed when I went cold turkey though.  I tried to just stop taking the anti-depressants last year and after a few moths I felt very, very depressed. I need to talk to my doc about getting of the anti's now - or how to go about doing it.  

All my best,

Shelby
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.