Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
220248 tn?1204273389

fentanyl withdraws the same as hydros

ive been cut open100mcl patches and eating them and was wondering if the withdraws are near the same as hydros its basiclly day 5 w/o and dont feel to bad and hopin the worst is to come or just because i went through hydro w/ds before knoledge is helping
10 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
1006065 tn?1251478669
PLEASE do not eat those patches!  They are 100x stronger than morphine.  They are so strong that there is a class action lawsuit against one of the companies who makes and distributes them because of accidental deaths even when people were using them as prescribed!  I'm in the process of weaning off Fentanyl patches and am only at the 24-hour mark (almost exactly) and it's been pure #3LL!  I'm told that the worst is yet to come on days 3, 4 and 5!  I cannot imagine it getting worse than this and it's going to...I'm still wondering how I'm going to cope.  I have taken so many hot baths to ease the feet, legs and back pain, that I've lost count.  It has been excruciating.  I was only on the patches for four months...taken EXACTLY as prescribed for pain after back surgery and almost losing kidney to a horrendous infection (I'm terrified of narcotics) and it doesn't matter whether you have an addictive personality or not...the withdrawals are the same.  I expressed intense concern about ever going on Fentanyl because I knew they were strong (didn't know just HOW strong until I looked on the net) and my doctor gave me some double-talk about how I needed them for pain and that I didn't have an addictive personality and wasn't taking them to get me high and that my pain receptors override any high a junkie would get.  The only thing he was right about is that I never got the euphoria or "high" from them because I was in so much pain, the patches just made me feel normal.  But, I started having withdrawals during the last 24 hours of the patch life (it's SUPPOSED) to be good for 72 hours (HA!) and I suffered through the last 24 hours, with the last 12 being terrible, until it was time to put on a new patch.  The amount of pain relief I got from them was not worth the withdrawals I was having WHILE ON THEM during the last 12 hours of the patch life.  I changed doctors to one who would listen to me and told him I WANT OFF THESE THINGS AND I NEED HELP!  He was so understanding and gave me meds to come off.  I have only taken the Darvocet for the pain so far (prescribed by this last doctor) with the occasional Xanax.  I have been saving the Clonidine and Vistaril (Hydroxyzine) he prescribed for the next three plus days because he only gave me 21 pills of each (taken as prescribed @ 3 a day would give me only 7 days of pills) so I've been saving them for the "worst" of the withdrawals.  It takes about 24 to 48 hours for the Fentanyl to completely leave your system, so the first two days, you still have it in your body to keep SOME of the withdrawals at bay.  It's after it leaves your system that the really bad withdrawals begin.

All I can say is that you are truly taking your life in your own hands by eating Fentanyl.  It's NOT designed to enter your system in a megadose like that...it can stop your breathing or your heart with NO warning and you will be dead.  PLEASE don't eat Fentanyl!!!  I cannot even imagine having that much go into my system at one time!  I'm very scared for you!  Get some help and get the proper meds to come off...your life depends on it!

Blessings!

LissyH
Helpful - 0
228936 tn?1249094248
I think you get off easy because fentenyl is way stronger than vicodin which is way down there on the addictive scale with codeine. Make the most of this gift. Here on this board we are very fixated on detoxing and I say how about becoming fixated on not retoxing, that is  not goin' back to dope. You can have the best detox in the world (which I once did) and I kicked a methadone and heroin habit in a hospital with the best meds you can imagine. The problem was I left feeling ok but used in a few days. all the best
Helpful - 0
FENTANYL is by far the worse withdrawals I have ever had......EVER!
It is pure hell, and makes oxy withdrawal seem like a walk in the park.
I used suboxone to come off it, and it was a breeze.
Se my previous post

RICK
Helpful - 0
coming off fentanyl is 100 times stronger than coming off of heroin. that's what the fda posted and i know it's true. i am on my 5th days of coming off of fentanyl patches. i have been through hell and still going through it but the first three days are the worst. i have come off of hyros also. i have had 5 heart surgeries. you name it i've been prescribed it. coming off of hydrs was a walk in the park compared to coming off of patches. my doctor told me each person id different. when people take pain pills some become addicted after the first one and others can take them for long period of times and come off with no problems. good luck.
Helpful - 0
I was on the patch as well with percs for break through pain; I never heard of anyone eating the patch....did they taste bad?  Anyhoo....I had to use my percs to get off the patch and then taper the percs to quit...

Patches had a bad hold on me...

Guy
Helpful - 0
all i can say is the withdraw simpumes from eating the fyntynal patch are insane , you sweat all night with cold sweats , you get very crazy in your head like your going to snap you deffently need to ease your self off of them and good luck because i still dont no what to do if anyone nows what to take please reply
Helpful - 0
177003 tn?1266270355
I have been tapering from fentanyl pain patches. I started on 100mcg and am now down to 12mcg. Today I go to the dr. and see what she wants me to do. I found them to be extremely addictive and they're 80-100 times as strong as morphine. Maybe I'm just a wimp. lol

Take Care ......LS
Helpful - 0
220248 tn?1204273389
i geuss the worst part is over with thw/d it just seemed too easy when i was on the hydros w/d were f**kin nightmare. this time the 1rst 2 days were mildly bad and here it is mid day 5 and i feel good (not super) last week i ate 17 norco 10 in and hour and barley felt them,i needed to eat a patch to feel anything  mabye its just the support that this fourm can give thanks yall but i think i got it beat this time  
Helpful - 0
I was on fentanyl patches 150mg and I had mild withdrawal when I stopped using them It's been about 3 months since my last patch I didn't need to take anything to help It really wasn't that bad and I was on them for 3 years good luck
Helpful - 0
I don't know anything about fentanyl withdraw but to answer your question it really depends on fentanyls half life.  Pills have a shorter half life so it could be that your already as sick as your going to get or the half life is really long.  I think if you don't feel any worse in a couple of days then that is about as bad as its going to get because I never heard of an opiate with a week half life.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.