Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
216878 tn?1196037520

Why some get addicted, and some don't???????

Everyone is different when it comes to pain meds. For example, my best friend was in a horrible motorcycle accident almost 4 years ago. She almost didn't make it. She has been on percocet eversince then, and she will need to be for the rest of her life, (unfortunately)...She has had about 22 surgerys since then, and still has to have more. She takes anywhere from 4-8  5/325 percs. a day.  She gets 90 a month from her Dr. and there are many times whe would run out of them, and just last month she ran out 2 weeks before she could get her refil. For some reason this does not bother her what-so-ever. How can this be? If i was to run out more than 6-8 hours after taking one, my body would feel just awful, i would start the w/d's (BIGTIME)...So how can this be for some people? I just don't get it...LIke i said it does not effect her at all....and she has been taking them for 4 yrs. (Nonstop)....

Just wondering how this can be? I know others that have taken for years and years as well and if they run out before they can get their refill it has no effect on them at all....

Makes no sense to me, Guess some ppl. just don't have the same immune system as others...

Anyone know the answer to this?  

Just curious is all........I run out for more than 6 hrs. and they can run out for weeks at a time and they don't care, it don't bother them...

Hope
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I've wondered that same question, why do some automatically gain an addiction and some seem, or appear as they don't?
I can tell you, when I run out of my meds, sometimes a week or 2 before I can refill, the most I go through is the pain I'm trying to get rid of in the first place. As far as having withdrawels, I have none. I can wait, the time to gain my refil, maybe it's knowing that I am getting a refil.
I have been on pain meds for abou 15 years, I suffer from severe neuropathy and 4 blown disks in my T-Spine. I also, suffer from M.S as well. I started out on very low dosages in the beginning and of course, slowly they begin to not work as good, the pain is to severe to handle so they give you a higher dosage, then move you to a stronger pill.
I believe some people do have addictive personalities. My husband is a good example. I've gone for 6 months once, trying to save my liver from not taking anything, but I couldn't manage working and doing every day activities due to the pain. So back on them I went. I've had surgeries as well, which ended up making a few things worse. All in all, why do some people have no problem and others have such a huge problem? I guess if we all knew the answer to that, we could help cure alot of people.
Helpful - 0
Everyone is effected the differnce is time........

Some people have addictive personalities.....where very little time will result in addiction......

Don't be so sure this person is not developing a habit.......if the patient has to have them and their supply is threatened that is a different story....

If you take percocett for years everyday you brain is being altered.......
That is what addiction is all about when the brain starts to change,  rational thought, emotions, logic, dependency the narcotic will no longer be an option for pain it will need the pills to feed the dependency.....

Nobody is immune to addiction and addiction takes no prisoneers.......
Helpful - 0
I find that being here sometimes makes me want a pill... listening to the stories of addiction can make me take another pill if I need it or not.. go figure..

I was going to be on day one without pills but someone tried to give me a couple, I accepted, and took those today... I know I am going to quit but it is hard as you know.. I don't think I will be able to get any tomorrow and have told myself that I will not buy anymore, so tomorrow I should be clean...

I think one a day is terrific, I can easily do this on weekend days (much less stress than a work day, even though I have 4 children at home).  I think someone could take one a day for life, but if I have plenty that one turns into ten.. I think I am ready, the w/d from 1-3 per day doesn't seem that bad, and I have some klonipin and xanax to help with sleep (and melentonin if that runs out).

So don't be like me and let that one or two a day turn back into the **** we were in.. I will be on some in the morning also if work is not too hectic, maybe talk with you more then...

Take Care,
S
Helpful - 0
216878 tn?1196037520
Ya, i can't figure it out either, but thanks for responding to me...
I have been trying to keep myself busy over the last few days...
It's been helping alot...
I hope you are okay, how ya doin anyway?
Sorry I haven't been on too much, like i said just trying to keep busy....
I will be on tomorrow in the morning for awhile, so if you are here give me a yell, ok?

I need to get some sleep soon, i will check back in about 20 min. then gotta hit the hay........LOL

xoxo
Hope

PS...I have been taking one pill in the mornings, (BAD GIRL)..I know...
This seems to be all i really need though, i am gonna keep doing this for another week or so, then gonna try to get off that again, but just one a day is much better than what i was taking, up to 10 a day....so if it is helping me, this is good for me, for now...

Helpful - 0
Good question...I have no clue on why...

Been looking for your posts today, nice to see you on here..

hope, you seem soooo much better now than your first week or so of posts.. after taking that one last pill that made you sick it's like you woke up and accepted your new life without drugs.. it gives me hope..
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.