Close

I was watching the NEWS and a segment on Addiction was played !! PLEASE READ

Well first let me say i was suprised at the findings:

1 out of 4 people take a prescription
1 out of 2 become addicted

Average age 21-35 female
Average age 23-39 male

On average when an addict runs out of a prescription they turn to street drugs

1 out of 10 teens 14-17 abuse prescription drugs -  of these teens most are going through depression

there is a new study that links certain pain meds to depression which may result in suicidal thoughts

The segment talked about how even with the overwhelming evidence of addiction doctors still prescribed the same meds when hey should be tapering down a schedule so you don't get addicted. For instance if you are prescribed 60 lortab first month, the next month if should be 40 at the same dosage, and the next 20 with a slight lower dosage; finally a prescription of 10 should be given and the doctor should monitor your intake. The program went on to say that doctors over presribe and patients unknowlingly become addicted and then the doc one year later decides your done - then the patient expieriences w/d to combat that doctor recommends more drugs. It is a vicious cycle that people have to go through all because the doctors get the insurance money or kickback if they sell their drug to an unknowing patient. Ever wonder why doctors always prescribe the same drug by the same drug company - 50% kickback at the end of  the year. WOW!!

I think all addicts together should unite and sue the pants out of the drug companies and doctors. This was so wrong on many levels. They are getting rich off our addiction. This doesn't seem right at all.
20 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
They really never covered that. It was on CNN though you might be able to look it up.

Thanks

Alex
Helpful - 0
do you have any stats showing how many people use meds as prescribed and NEED these meds, I"d bet they far outnumber the people who abuse them
Helpful - 0
Alex - those were some interesting facts.  Surprise, surprise I am in the right age catagory.

fishmeal - You are too funny.  I was doing the math in my head too.  I figured that anyone has a 12.5% chance of becoming an addict with those figures.  

Shelby
Helpful - 0
Damm,,,, your deep.
Helpful - 0
My doc is way cheap with the norcos. He always has been like that and maybe I am lucky in some way. I am happy to see you are doing so well!!!

Tim
Helpful - 0
Hi dear,

I didn't see you this morning. (((((lonote)))))  I hope all is well with you.

Tim
Helpful - 0
Yes thinhs are great, and its Friday thank god! How about you?
Helpful - 0
I am hanging in there. My wife gave me some valium this morning and it really helped me with the cravings. I was just about jumping out of my skin. I just get discouraged at times. I want it now and that is just not going to happen. I still look at Pharmacys on line and even started to order more. They called on my cell phone and I cancelled. It is just a real struggle for me. I am taking amino acids and B6 now. I also am taking gabentin and OC cough syrup at night.

Hug to ya,
Tim
Helpful - 0
Hi Tim,

I know you are having a tough time.  Have you looked into an NA meeting?  I just want you to succeed and I am looking into them for myself.  Just trying to give myself every opportunity to stay clean and sober.  God knows this is hard enough - why not get some help with it?  Just a thought.

Hugs,

Shelby
Helpful - 0
I am looking into one in my home area. I think it will help because it is hard for me. I need something else or I'm going to go back.

Tim
Helpful - 0
177036 tn?1192286635
Hmmm let's have some fun here.... the last time i counted the people living

here in the US it was...295,469,285 people.  let me get the stupid calculator out...

1out of 4 people take a prescription

means 7,386,746  persons take a prescription.  That's 7,386,746 times and average of 140 bucks a month buying the prescriptions with some insurances paying for it but the drug companies are taking the full ticket  that's $103,414,444.00 X 12 months ==== one billion two hundred forty million nine hundred seventy three thousand 328 dollars.. and that's a low estimate!  No wonder the docs get kick-backs for prescribing drugs... HUGE!

3,693,373 become addicted. (whenever you feel terminally unique??!!)

1 out of 2 become addicted

i have a feeling half of those doc shop. 1,846,686 (I think the DEA people are looking to bust the dealers and not the small fry like people doc shopping for personal use).

Average age 21-35 female
Average age 23-39 male

On average when an addict runs out of a prescription they turn to street drugs

1 out of 10 teens 14-17 abuse prescription drugs - of these teens most are going through depression

there is a new study that links certain pain meds to depression which may result in suicidal thoughts

295,469,285 people should pull together and come up with a plan...

Helpful - 0
I know Tim and I am sorry.  You just find a meeting and get to it!  You can beat this if you want to!!

((((Tim))))

Shelby
Helpful - 0
I think I'm doing a little bit better. I only had the one day when I broke down and took 9 pills. The valium is helping with the real bad craving and my wife doles it out to me. I think am ready for another and took the last this morning. You are my sweet thang lovey!!  One week ago tonight we had such a good time, LOL.

Love to ya,
Tim
Helpful - 0
I remember that and I will never forget what you have done for me.  

It is so nice of your wife to do that and the fact the she is supporting you is awesome!  You are tougher then you think.  The fact that you have come this far proves it.  Oh and I read somewhere on here that some states do track the online pres. orders.  Gives you one more reason not to go through them.  You don't want to start doc shopping online - imagine getting caught.  I never have thank God!  Would hate to see something like that happen to you!

Love,

Shelby
Helpful - 0
I worry about that and have never ordered from more than one pharm. I don't need anyone coming to my door. I would **** my pants if my doc found out. He has been my primary for 20 yrs. He is our family doc and it would embarrass me and he would be much more than angry. He is a personal friend now and real cheap with the painkillers. He knows me too well and I am not a good liar. It shows all over my face and have always been told I have a lousy poker face.

Tim
Helpful - 0
I just told you that so you would think twice - I wanted to scare you but I guess that was obvious. lol

You have come so far - you have been through so much!  When you look at those pills again online - remember that they WILL ruin in your life if you decide to take them again.  

Do you want to go through withdrawal again?  Did you have that much fun the first time?

Remember what you posted by Thomas?  Do you want to lose who you are to these evil things?

I love you Tim and I would not say these things otherwise.

Shelby
Helpful - 0
Hi Alex, thanks for the info, that is very interesting and I believe most of what they report to be factual but the part about docs getting the kick-back at end of year I am doubtful - I have worked for doctors all my life and opened every piece of mail and screened very phone call, and made every deposit that would come through the office and I know they never received any kick-back from drug companies, maybe some free fountain pins and note pads!  the company that sold the orthopedic prosthetics, like the total hips and knees, did offer to take my doctor to Hawaii once but he turned them down, but as far as drugs I never heard of it. Some doctors participate in "clinical trials" on certain new meds and for that they are reimbursed but they have to be particular about how the money is spent, etc.

Hi Tim, I caught what you were saying about how you would hate for your doctor to know you were doing anything behind his back as he was a family friend, so you can imagine the pain and humilation I have been through this past week and still cannot climb out of my depression.

Talk to ya'll later.

Love, Cindy
Helpful - 0
Hi Alex, thanks for the info, that is very interesting and I believe most of what they report to be factual but the part about docs getting the kick-back at end of year I am doubtful - I have worked for doctors all my life and opened every piece of mail and screened very phone call, and made every deposit that would come through the office and I know they never received any kick-back from drug companies, maybe some free fountain pins and note pads!  the company that sold the orthopedic prosthetics, like the total hips and knees, did offer to take my doctor to Hawaii once but he turned them down, but as far as drugs I never heard of it. Some doctors participate in "clinical trials" on certain new meds and for that they are reimbursed but they have to be particular about how the money is spent, etc.

Hi Tim, I caught what you were saying about how you would hate for your doctor to know you were doing anything behind his back as he was a family friend, so you can imagine the pain and humilation I have been through this past week and still cannot climb out of my depression.

Talk to ya'll later.

Love, Cindy
Helpful - 0
Alex,, your such a sweetheart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Helpful - 0
216878 tn?1196037520
This is true...Dr.'s prescribe scripts and most of them don't really care about what it does to their patients...I must say though, when i really needed to have those percs. i would go to the Dr. and all my Docs, would always preach to me, and they all gave me less and less each month. It ticked me off that they cared so much... I must have the good Docs. here...LOL

But you are right, most of them will just keep giving and not even ask questions. That is so sad...Just so they can make money, screw the health of their patients....

Thanks for the post, it was interesting..

xoxo
Hope
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.