Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Freezing Legs at beginning of w/d

Ok, I am 4 hours short of 24 hours since I last used (vics).  I tapered during the last 2 weeks, but the last couple of days I went over my allotted amount but still less than when I decided to quit.

My legs aren't really achy like the flu but they are freezing!!  Also since I started the taper I cannot stand anything in my pockets, I wear dockers for work and use my pockets as man purses (cell phones, smokes, keys, change, thumb drives, notes, and anything else).  Now even a penny in my pocket is irritating...

Would potasium help, is this part of the RLS?  I hope to get through the weekend and think I will be pretty much in the clear if I do, but have to do some moving tomorrow for roughly 4 hours so it could be tricky not to make a phone call.  I did not know when I planned this that I would be working Saturday.. What would help me out the most?  I am taking One A Day Energy for Men and a combo Folic-Acid/B6/B12 (50mgB6,400mcgFolicAcid,100mcgB12) I found at the health food store (90 tabs for 4 bucks), and with these it definately has helped my energy.  Am I taking too much B vitimans taking these?

Too many questions..Sorry

S
9 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hey there,

Take the potassium for the legs and heart. It will make you feel a lot better. I know what you are starting to go through and will be here for you this weekend. Just give me a shout out if you need me. I am rooting for you my friend.

Tim
Helpful - 0
Do you have access to any benzo's for tomorrow? The first 3 days are the worst, at least for me it was. You circulation is making your leg cold. You should get into a hot shower or bath and it will help. The sneezing and chills should be visiting you shortly.
Helpful - 0
Here is the Thomas Recipe - just in case you haven't seen it:

THOMAS RECIPE

If you can't take time off to detox, I recommend you follow a taper regimen using your drug of choice or suitable alternate -- the slower the taper, the better.

For the Recipe, You'll need:

1. Valium (or another benzodiazepine such as Klonopin, Librium, Ativan or Xanax). Of these, Valium and Klonopin are best suited for tapering since they come in tablet form. Librium is also an excellent detox benzo, but comes in capsules, making it hard to taper the dose. Ativan or Xanax should only be used if you can't get one of the others.

2. Imodium (over the counter, any drug or grocery store).

3. L-Tyrosine (500 mg caps) from the health food store.

4. Strong wide-spectrum mineral supplement with at least 100% RDA of Zinc, Phosphorus, Copper, Magnesium and Potassium (you may not find the potassium in the same supplement).

5. Vitamin B6 caps.

6. Access to hot baths or a Jacuzzi (or hot showers if that's all that's available).

How to use the recipe:

Start the vitamin/mineral supplement right away (or the first day you can keep it down), preferably with food. Potassium early in the detox is important to help relieve RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome). Bananas are a good source of potassium if you can't find a supplement for it.

Begin your detox with regular doses of Valium (or alternate benzo). Start with a dose high enough to produce sleep. Before you use any benzo, make sure you're aware of how often it can be safely taken. Different benzos have different dosing schedules. Taper your Valium dosage down after each day. The goal is to get through day 4, after which the worst WD symptoms will subside. You shouldn't need the Valium after day 4 or 5.

During detox, hit the hot bath or Jacuzzi as often as you need to for muscle aches. Don't underestimate the effectiveness of hot soaks. Spend the entire time, if necessary, in a hot bath. This simple method will alleviate what is for many the worst opiate WD symptom.

Use the Imodium aggressively to stop the runs. Take as much as you need, as often as you need it. Don't take it, however, if you don't need it.

At the end of the fourth day, you should be waking up from the Valium and experiencing the beginnings of the opiate WD malaise. Upon rising (empty stomach), take the L-Tyrosine. Try 2000 mgs, and scale up or down, depending on how you feel. You can take up to 4,000 mgs. Take the L-Tyrosine with B6 to help absorption. Wait about one hour before eating breakfast. The L-Tyrosine will give you a surge of physical and mental energy that will help counteract the malaise. You may continue to take it each morning for as long as it helps. If you find it gives you the "coffee jitters," consider lowering the dosage or discontinuing it altogether. Occasionally, L-Tyrosine can cause the runs. Unlike the runs from opiate WD, however, this effect of L-Tyrosine is mild and normally does not return after the first hour. Lowering the dosage may help.

Continue to take the vitamin/mineral supplement with breakfast.

As soon as you can force yourself to, get some mild exercise such as walking, cycling, swimming, etc. This will be hard at first, but will make you feel considerably better.

Shelby
Helpful - 0
Thanks Tim, I knew I would here from you..

Being on this site for the last two weeks I think has and will help while getting off the darn vics.  Were you taking vics or percs, don't remember...
Just jumped back to the thread, yes I do have 1 1mg xanax and enother klonipin for as long as I would need it.. Been using these to sleep and not taking any through the day (with the execption of now, so syched about starting I could not sleep last night for sh*t, fell asleep about 4:30 and got up at 6:30 for work).

I was going to jump in with a smart*ss comment about your feminine side earlier today but the thread was just tooooo nice to do it ;-)

Steve
Helpful - 0
LOL, I went and put on the slinky red thing and walked down to the beach. I got a few dates but my wife didn't go for it. She can be a ball and chain some days, j/k. I have the nice hairy legs and it is very Euro. heh heh
Helpful - 0
Hey Shelby..

I have most of these items..The hot baths will be strange for me, been taking showers for as long as I can remember.. The last bath I took was in the hospital when I was 16 years old after being shot in the head by a hollow-point 22 from a saturday night special.. Long story but a close friend was playing with a gun while we were out drinking and smoking pot.. I am remarkably normal after recovery of the accident, I have no speach or right-hand movement in the brain but since I was young another part of the brain took over these functions.

Thanks for all of your advice, both you and Tim..

Steve
Helpful - 0
Thanks for the visual you two! lol

Love,

Shelby
Helpful - 0
Trust me the baths are a life saver!!

You are doing so great!

Hugs,

Shelby
Helpful - 0
Still too funny with the red dress...

Hairy legs I don't have, and the hair on my head is catching up...

Thanks once again for the advice, both of you!!

Steve
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.