Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

I need to get off of OXYCONTIN

I have been takin oxycontin for almost a year.  I went from percocet to oxycontin 10mg to 40mg then to 80mg.  I'm at the point now where i take about 4 to 6 80mg oxys a day.  The most embarrassing thing is that i crush them up and snort them.  I'm sick of depending on them.  They are too expensive and i'm wasting too much money on them.  I've tried SUBOXINS i guess the name is.  They got me off of them once before.  But i quit cause i had to (i couldn't get any) not because i wanted to.  Now i'm back on and now i'm ready to quit on my own terms.  I didn't taper off at all and started taking the suboxins they didn't work as well as last time.  I had hot and cold flashes, off and on sleep, odd dreams, and body aches.  So sadly enough i started back on I couldn't take it no more.  I think that i should slow down by going from 80mg to 40 mg to 20mg 10 mg then start takin suboxins i figured tapering off would work a lot better than just go from taking like six a day to quiting.  So if anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you SO much!!
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hey FD. I have been a heroin addict for three years now. I am now taking Subs and the thing about them is that you should only take it when you are really feeling bad. You should not take them like a prescription. When you start feeling really really sick, that is when you should put on under your tongue and let it dissolve it works faster then swallowing them. But that really is the trick cause you can very easily get addicted to subs just as fast as you can get addicted to heroin or in your case Oxys. I hope that my advice helped somewhat and I wish you the best of luck :-)
Helpful - 0
221182 tn?1199263667
Hey Funkdoc
     I hope yer able to taper off the oxys seems like all these long acting drugs are kinda hard to get off of, they stay in your system longer half life and all thats why they give em to people with chronic pain... But if you got someone around you can give whatever you have to and let them detox you your chances will be much better. Even tapering off you will feel some discomfort and you know how temtation is I hope you can do it I hate drugs they really put the hook in you I'm sorry can't write more too hard to focus take care my friend ....a-wakan
Helpful - 0
Hey Funk Doc......:)
Ya I wouldnt just stop taking the oxy's especially if u r taking 4-6 80mg's.....I personally think that would be too much of a shock to ur system if u just stopped like that.  Your withdrawls would be too much, I remember when I had to stop cold turkey and it was the worst kind of flu like symptoms...but nothing like how I'm feeling now...which is weird-i'm methadone withdrawling now...
anywho, sorry to get off topic....ya I think u should go down how u were saying, from 80mg, to 40mg to 20mg to 10mg or at least the number of oxy's u take in a day.  that way it wont be as bad when u do give it up.
I used to snort my oxys....now I chew them, so they work faster.  sad i know.  I had been on oxys for 5yrs and then had to quit and go on methadone for pain-and now im off of that and back on oxys, but not taking as much as b4.  
This is a great forum, I just came on and found this yesterday morning, and already have found some great information and the ppl here are awesome! and the BEST part about this place is that ppl UNDERSTAND.  I wish I had found this place last july when i first started the methadone.  Have u ever been on that b4?  My advice is to never go on it.  I had a very bad experience with it, had all the side effects, gained weight..UGHHHH had NO life-was a slave to it...it was craziness!  
So good luck to u FD, and take care of urself!!!:)
Laurie
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.