Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Going to the Dr. tomorrow - looking forward to saying goodbye to Vicodin for good!

Thank you FLaddict and Fishmeal for your responses!

I am going to the Dr tomorrow to see what he can give me for vicodin withdrawal. I called him on Thursday and explained that I have been taking vicodin for 2.5 years (everyday for the last nine months). I usually only take about 3-5 10mg Vicodin a day. However today I took about 9 or 10.

I have tried to stop before but was very anxious and had HORRIBLE restless leg!

I am getting married in 3 months. My fiance believes he can kick it on his own. I know that I need help with the withdrawal symptoms.

For those of you who took Clonidine for Withdrawal symptoms. How long did you take it for? weeks, months? Also, since I took 10 pills today should I try to taper for a few days then start? Or just go for it tomorrow?

I can't wait to get back to my old self!!!!!
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
182493 tn?1348052915
That is awsome.. please let me know how ir goes with the doc...
I took clonidine for 2 weeks..  as prescribes at first and then tapered off.. they suggest tapering it since stopping abruptly can cause a spike in BP.. it helped me soooo much.. as well as Lunesta for sleep and phergan for the nausea.

I would try to go for it without tapering... You sound determined and ready.. tapering will just prolong the inevitable..

Good luck to you.. I am in your corner cheering...
Helpful - 0
just wanted to tell u - good luck and hang in there!!!

I took Clonodine at times and really did not have a lot of success with it, but I know there are many others that say differently!!  HOPEFULLY, it will do you right and help with the w/d.  I know the Highlands Restless Leg (OTC) helped many as well so if you have not tried that - maybe it would give you some relief as well.  If your doctor is one that will listen and really help...I know that there are many things out there now that are quite helpful for EVERY symptom, so just be really open and honest and I hope he/she is one of the good ones!!

When I read about your fiance I really wanted to reply to you.  My husband and I started and stopped together and he was not real KEEN on quitting when I said so.  However, with a little prodding, and making him read up on Suboxone...he did finally agree (thank goodness) and we are hanging in there together.  Im telling you that to say, if he does have trouble quitting without any assistance, please carefully push him in the right direction!!  I dont know what I would have done if mine wouldn't have gone with me.  I do know the statistics for couples where one quits and the other does not - so help him if he seems to falter in anyway and you are staying on path!  I am really hoping and praying that things go well for you and the w/d are somewhat under control.  Please stay around here - the support is worth sooo much!! AND WILL BE A BIG BIG HELP!  There are those times when meds just dont get it and only those that have been there will.  You'll be in my thoughts!

Sincerely,
tracy
Helpful - 0
Thank you guys so much for your support! I will post tomorrow night after my appointment.

We are both determined to get over this. My Finance has wanted to stop many times before but I convinced him to continue until I was ready. To complicate this addiction my sister is in the same boat as us. We are all ready to quit and move on. However, I am the only who is going to the Doctor. They said if it gets too bad and everything goes well with me, then they will be going to the Doctor too.

I am so ready to get over this!

Thanks again for your support!
Helpful - 0
that is really too weird - my brother in law was in our boat as well.  He got on suboxone too (the following day) and is now on nothing and doing great!!

I know you all will pull through this without issue - we are here for u when u need us - just hang in there.

sincerely, tracy
Helpful - 0
177036 tn?1192286635
I said the same thing 6 months ago on this forum and meant it... I think I said, I'm saying goodbye to the hydros for good and didn't last that long... I really hope you do and pray that you do.. finally I had to admit total defeat.  I went on suboxone which was the ticket for me but keep in mind I do have some other thing happening that are pressing so... try to do without the suboxone.
Helpful - 0
177036 tn?1192286635
PS  since you took so much today you will probably not really experience wd's very much tomorrow but they will start the next day... least that's the way it was with me... definite yes on clonidine... might have to take it for 2 to 4 weeks... everybody's different...
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.