Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

painkiller abuse

my boyfriend has taken painkillers in the past not for pain.  he says he doesn't want to take them, knows they are bad, etc, etc.  but he tells me that he still thinks about them every now and then, when he has a bad day, or isn't feeling well.  he took four at one time a couple of weekends ago, and felt awful about it, promises me he's not going to do it again.  before that, it was over 3 months.  i think he has a problem.  when i try and approach him about it, he says he wants to get help (see a psychiatrist), but he doesn't do anything about it.  i don't want to push him too hard, so he feels like he has to do something for me, i know that he has to want to do this for himself, but i think he is denying a problem, and i don't know what to do.  any advice?
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
thank you all for your thoughts.  to answer your questions, as far as i know, he hasn't been taking them without my knowledge, and i feel pretty confident about that.  he has had a very short stay at a rehab facility, but he decided he didn't need it in comparison to everyone else there.  that was before i knew him, about 5 years ago.  he has never seen a CAC, but has been to some sort of counselor who he never felt comfortable with, and since we met, i have been trying to get him to try that again, but he's being stubborn and dragging his feet.  he tells me he's scared, which i understand.  addiction just scares me, though.  my concern is what i do in the meantime, until he's "ready" to see someone.  any ideas?
Helpful - 0
Has he ever been to an N/A meeting?

Has he ever seen a CAC,,,(certified addiction counselor)?

These are you best two bets for him.............
Helpful - 0
It sounds like he may have an addictive personality and be craving the drug.  It is not wrong for you to want him to address this issue but he has to ultimately make the choice.  Are you sure he hasn't taken pills without you knowing?  If he has only done it once in 3 months then he may just be craving the pills and I think talking to a psychologist or a recovery person would be a good idea.

The psychologist would need to be experienced in areas of addiction and relapse prevention.

Best of luck
tzt
Helpful - 0
220248 tn?1204273389
i read your post agian was he an addict in the past?
Helpful - 0
220248 tn?1204273389
what hes doin doent seem like an addiction but it will be ecspecally if its on his mind alot, could he be takin more than you know about ?
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.