Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Am I addicted to Loracets???

Hello,
I have been on Loracets for two years now.  I started out on the 7.5 (I think) for one year.  Then I started the 10mg and cut them in half and took a total of one a day.  Sometimes I would take two sometimes just one and a half.
I have stopped taking them as of two days ago and I feel like I have the flu....I'm freezing to death.  I have my air conditioning set on 88 and it's 80 outside!  

I don't want my doctor to know about this because I have been getting the pills without a script.  I'm embarrased to tell him and afraid he will fire me.  I have some autoimmune problems as to why I started the drug and it helped of course.  It gave me energy to work my 50 hour work weeks.

I have to say I wanted to take one today and thought about it often.  Am I addicted???  I know I have an addicted behavior because I smoke.  If I enjoy something I can't ever do anything in moderation.

Should I go back on Lorcets and taper off?  Am I taking enough to be addicted?  Why do I want to keep taking it??  When the good feeling wears off I'm so mean to people.  I think it altars my personality.
Please help!
Lacey
14 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
i have been taking loracets valumes(diazapam) adipex and occasionally other medication for about 5 to 6 years and getting a perscribed to me for the last 4 in a half years. i never thought that you could get addicted to medicine that is supose to help you from a doctor.  (i hurt my back really bad } that is when i started taking pills to help the pain. of course it didnt help that my ex-husband was taking them when i meet him he pretty much introdused me to them.at first they made me get sick but they helped my back so i finnally got up a tollerance to them and didnt get sick anymore, it got where i didnt have to eat(so i wouldnt get sick) to take them next  i went from half a pill to a whole then more and more till i was popping two or more at a time.at one point i couldnt count how many i was taking to kill pain and emotions, problems in my life. so it would kill not only my back pain but the pain everywhere else that the pills where causing. especally my legs. almost like restless leg syndrom. i didnt know that you could have D. T. 'S from them until i got sick one day and it turned into a nightmare i stayed soooo sick for three weeks or more. fevers chills urine problems, headaches, hurting ALL over throwing up upset stomach no will to eat or drink and more.i thought i was dying.then my ex told me to take a pill i didnt want anything in my mouth he said id feel better i told him no im very sick but i finnally did and i got better. that was the 1st year.i try not to take as much now i go up n down . what can i do? and how long will it take this time? i have tried to stop on my own but it never works i stay in constant pain. have problems going to sleep then i cant hardly wake up i feel like im in a coma. a have bad mood swings. i dont think i could describe how awful it is to be addicted to pills. if anyone has any advise please let me know. i have called hotlines and they say i would have to take other nonnarcatic meds. to get off of them and have canceling. but rehab and the other options cost alot of money.especially when you have six kids. WHAT CAN I DO TO STOP TAKING THESE PILL? THEY ARE RUINING MY LIFE AND MY FAMILY! are these really my only options or can i find a program that isnt so costly, try to stop on my own again,(what will help me to do that!) SOMETHING! please let me know if you have any info to help i want my life back!!!!!
Helpful - 0
hey. let me tell you something. being addicted is not fun. MY HUSBAND HAS BEEN ON IT FOR TWO IN AHALF YEARS. HE WOULD GET A PRESCRIPTION FROM DOCTOR (LORECET PLUS)45 PILLS PLUS GOT BYE SOME OFF STREET. FOR THEM 2IN AHALF YEARS I SUFFERD. HE TOOK EVERYTHIG I HAD THAT I CHERISHED AND POND IT FOR PILLS. HE WOULD MAKE A GOOD CHECH IN A WEEK AND I WOULD NEVER SEE THAT MONEY. I HAVE TWO KIDS. NOW HES IN JAIL FOR DOMESTIC VIOLENCE TOWARDS ME BECAUSE HE DIDNT HAVE ANY FOR ONE WHOLE DAY BECAUSE HE BLEW ALL HIS MONEY ON IT.  IF YOU JUST ASK GOG TO HELP YOU AND ASK FOR STRENGTH HE WILL HELP YOU. WHAT I WOULD DO IS THROUGH ALL THE PILLS AWAY OR BETTER FLUSH THEM WHILE YOUR FLUSHING THEM PRAY TO GOD TO HELP YOU BECAUSE HES LISTENING. YOU DONT WANT THIS I GRANT YOU THAT. ALL THE PILLS ARE IS IS THE DEVIL TRYN TO TAKE OVER YOUR BODY. DO YOU WANT THAT? YOU GOT TO BE STRONG. GO TO CHURCH HANG WITH PEOPLE THAT DONT DO DRUGS. MORE PEOPLE YOU TALK TO THE BETTER CHANCES YOU ARE TO GET OFF PILLS. BUT I HAVE HOPE FOR EVERYONE. I HAD TO PUT MY HUSBAND IN JAIL TO GET OFF THESE PILLS BECAUSE HE WAS ANGRY HE RAN OUT. JAIL FOR HIM IS THE BEST RIGHT NOW. NOW WHEN HE GETS OUT HE WILL BE SET FREE FROM THIS DRUG. YOU HAVE A CHOICE. IS IT WORTH YOUR LIFE,KIDS,FAMILY,? WHATEVER YOUR SITUATION IN LIFE IS THINK OF THE GREAT THINGS IN YOUR LIFE AND ASK YOURSELF IS IT WORTH IT? I GRANT YOU WILL FEEL LIKE A NEW PERSON WHEN U GET OFF THEM PILLS. BUT IF U STAY ON THEM IT ONLY GETS WORSE IT GOES TO ONE PILLS TO TWO PILLS TO THREE PILLS THEN IT GETS TO25  A DAY. OVERDOSE CAN KILL YOU. YOUR LIFE IS FAR WAY TO PRECIOUS TO LET THE DEVIL CONTROL YOU AND DIE.
bUT I HOPE IN ME TELLING YOU WHAT I WENT THROUGH CAN HELP YOU. GOD IS THERE FOR YOU JUST REMEMBER THAT ALWAYS!!!!!
    bEST OF LUCK,  kIMBERLY
Helpful - 0
Duh, I saw the "June" post date, and tried to answer a year-old question.. Hmmm.  My ability to notice detail seems to be skewed.
Helpful - 0
Also, are you sure they are lorcets?  I find it hard to believe you were feeling "high" from a 1/2  a pill especially for the length of time you were using them?
I only ask since you were not prescribed them.
Helpful - 0
You are more dependent than addicted.  Your withdrawals shoud be minimal considering the dosage you are taking.  
I am fairly sure you are more worried about quitting than what the quitting willl actually do to you.  I took 15 a day!  I went through a very hard 3 weeks, and still have  to deal with some withdrawal, but I was dependent AND addicted.  Hard to say,because in general terms I am NOT an addictive personality.  Yet I got sucked into the vortex of hydrocone over use.

One to 2 pills a day, is truly a very low "mainetenace" dose for most anyone.  I think you will be ok but you need to stay mentally strong.
Helpful - 0
I realize this thread is an old post, but I saw your comment and wanted to respond.  My husband of nine years at the time began acting distant from me ie: took a 2nd shift job with out even discussing it with me (it took him away from seeing me or the kids all days minus his off days...which off days he would sign up extra and still be gone) he would leave or not come home and when he was home he'd sleep all day.  He had several affairs over our marriage so after a year of this I began to believe he was having one again, although all the other times he had it was a "one night thing".  He always denied the affair, but I couldn't understand the changes if he wasn't (not being around us, angry, mean, distant)  He went to leave on night again and I asked him not to go...just just looked at me and I told him I was going to see a therapist the following day...to see whether or not I think this marriage can work..or if we needed a divorce...he just shook his head and walked out the door.  I got the divorce and ended up in a relationship right away (yes not a good idea, but I wanted to be happy and it was so weird to be appreciated after such a long time of not being) my ex was angry about the relationship but still didn't act like it was interested in me...after the relationship ended and I was depressed, my ex came to me and told me at the time of our divorce he was abusing pain pills.  He had easy access through his work.  I was so upset and disappointed in him for not telling me this, I'm a nurse and would have been there for him...he knows that, but he said he couldn't tell me. dumb me because I kept find stuff but he kept telling me it was his brothers...I knew he was an addict at the time ...I'm nurse and he told me he didn't think I'd understand)  We are still divorced and he has a new relationship...and I worry about this because He has all his anger towards me again although I don't really do anything to him.  I'm not too excited about his new relationship due to the fact that she has abused pain pills as well and ended up in detox herself...she's bipolor and she told me my husband was the one who got her addicted...she also threated to have me and my kids "taken out" by her brother who is out of jail on parole...broke that and is now on the run...their relationship ended after that threat but I recently learned they are back together and his anger towards me is like it has never been before...minus our divorce...I'm scared!!!  Oh gosh, I got off track with this...just wanted you to know I can relate to how you feel...anyways, I have had lots of exp with addicts my father, ex hubby, brother in law and uncle...I know I can/could easily my self...i self medicated with alcohol after I learned of my hubbys 1st affair.  People with addictions can very easily distance themselves because the doc of their choice takes precedence over other important relationships in their lives...Please don't think he can't over come it...he can....but he has to want it ALOT.  And you can't make him do it, you can only support him when he choses it.  I'd try a support group if you can that helps family of addicts...you can learn alot.  Usually most addicts have to hit rock bottom or have a big "realization" to get help...my ex's was learning that his brother relapsed...big time in a bad way as well as his girlfriend at the time...he quit on his own, his brother is on sub now, and the girlfriend had the three day detox...my ex bro in law is doing very well now by the way...as for my ex I'm worried he is very different in his emotions again, he is under alot of financial stresses right now and still has easy access to pills...I'm hoping he's just being hateful because of his girlfriend not liking me (she never has) but this is the first time he's really hated me too..good luck to you, take care of yourself..you need to do be in a good place with lots of understanding so you can help him through this if he decides to get the help....but remember it has to be his choice...and he has to be ready...and lastly...yes, if he thinks that he can have both his independence to do as he chooses...and you as well on the side when he wants you....he will most likely keep it that way...at least until something goes wrong with it...Be strong!
Helpful - 0
my husband says he is addicted to lorecets.  he has left me and i can't seem to understand! i know he is not seeing anyone.  he says he loves me and calls me everyday, comes to the house at least 3 times a week.  he says he started taking them for energy.  he works alot!  anyway, so i don't understand how a man that loves me so much and trust me at one time i was his life.  now he has been gone 5 weeks and doesn't seem to really be interested in coming back home.  he goes fishing almost everyday after work and says it is the only thing that helps him not to think.  he drinks alot of beer now.  I have never taken anything before so this is so hard for me to understand.  i would like to know does this drug alter your personality and make you feel detached.  he says he knows he loves me, but feels detached from me and the kids, like he is not a part of anything.  I am trying to be supportive and always be here when he calls or comes over, but i am beginning to wonder if he is enjoying the best of both worlds.  he has me when he needs me, but has no responsibility to home and life.  he can go fishing with his buddies after work and then just go back to his friends apartment and drink his beer and go to bed, while i am here constantly thinking and worrying about him and wondering why he is not missing me the way i miss him.  if anyone can help me i would greatly appreicate it!
Helpful - 0
401095 tn?1351391770
This is an old post...perhaps hit the post a questiom green button and title your new question so people will see what you need help with...Like "I need help with hydrocodone"  Is this person in your family a doctor by any chance?  I do know the control aspect as during my use I could feel someone who did the same for me...not daily but he gave me alot of pills....or sold them to me cheap....I did not like that feeling and felt he was gonna try and "trade out" if you know what I mean...I am so glad I got out before I would actually do something like that as I know some that have done that...if it is a concerned family member who loves you...this is not healthy for you and you know that....make a new post
Helpful - 0
i have been on loricets for 10 years now and other meds. zanax tempazepam soma other hardcore drugs that i am now off but still on prescripted meds. someone in my family has been giving me my weekly supply of these for years. i see this person everyday. i can't go without. i think about them constantly. i have 2 kids. 10 and 15. no one knows but the person giving them to me. it's like control. I am scred 2 death I will never be able to shake it, that this is it , me just some pill head trying to look normal and feel it. i don't even know what that is anymore.
Helpful - 0
The "being freezing" was when i realized i was addicted also.This was in the middle of winter in Michigan. Much better to quit in the summer (lol) !!!!!
Helpful - 0
I agree, get off them now!  The longer you stay on them,the harder it will be to quit and it sounds like if you are not already addicted, you are dependent and heading toward addiction!  Two days in, keep going, a couple more days and the physical stuff will be so much better!  If you were taking them without a script, that is another sign that you are addicted.  Good Luck!
Peace,
'Marcie:)
Helpful - 0
183879 tn?1189755823
Hey there my friend. First of all, your doing good.. Please, don;t go back to them and try to taper.. thats usally doesn;t work. I know, I have tried.. Just do what your doing.. get off of them as soon as possible or it will get worse,, your addiction i mean... alot of us here have tried to taper. but to no avail. its best to just get completely off of them.
hope that helped.. Cody
email me if you need to. ***@****
Helpful - 0
I agree with the above poster, don't taper, just stay the course and it will be over soon.  You are on a very light dose and you can thank God for that, that you did something about your problem before things got worse.  Do not take another pill - do something about this now.  So glad you posted and will be thinking of you in the next few days as you finally get rid of this monster and take your life back.

Love, Cindy
Helpful - 0
I don't think you need to taper.  If what you are feeling is withdrawals you are going to feel much  better after the third or fourth day.  Stay strong and best of luck.
tzt
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.