Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

methadone detox

I've been on methadone for over a year, 90mgs a day.  If I get down to taking only 30 or 40mlgs a day for 2 weeks can I start on suboxone at that point and not go into withdraw.  Then take Suboxone for a 2wk. period and stop and be completely detoxed from methadone without being so sick.
8 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Ive been on methadone for 3 weeks and now have been on 90mg for aboute a week but 2 days ago i stopped going to the clinic and tmrw will be day 3 no methadone. Can i switch to suboxone tmrw when WD really sets in. Will it work? And also a i herd of people taking 1/4 strip and not being sick. I only have 3 8mg strips and im really Praying that i can get off with what i have. Is this realistic?
Helpful - 0
480448 tn?1426948538
You've posted on 2 very old threads.  You may be better off starting your own thread, if you're looking for input.  You can do that by clicking on the orange "post a question" button on the top right of the page.
Helpful - 0
I am one who has been doing methadone for 6 and half years I left and went to subozone clinic they have put me on lower tab every 6 hrs ,I was down to 60 mg of methadone and he said I would go in to bad withdraw s which I am anyway it makes u want to hang yourself to make the pain go away would I had been alright going on to suboxone without trying to detox down
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
YOu have to make sure that the methodone is leaving your system.. b4 starting Sub.. IF you are not in WD at least mild when you start the SUb, it can and will send you into WD.. 48 hours is the general wait time some docs may even want you to wait 72 hours..meth has a long half life. The reason I say 3 weeks on SUb instead of 2 is because methodone WD is so long.. The sub is there to keep you from feeling methodone WD.. it will still be leaving your system during the time you are on Sub.. since meth's WD is usually longer in general 3 weeks on Sub sounds more likely..Make sure you wait and have them give you a small tester dose of Sub while at the docs... I know someone who was thrown into precipitated WD from switching to Subs from methodone..
Helpful - 0
so what your saying is get down to 30mlgs a day for 2 wks. then go 48hours with no methadone at all then start on suboxone for 3 wks and then I will not go threw the horrible withdraws from the methadone.  I just want to be clear about this because some told me Suboxone would send me into withdraw due to the methadone in my system. thank you.
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
Why would you need either??? If you do cocaine in any amounts.. methodone and suboxone are for opiate addiction like heroin and pain pills.. I am not aware of why either would be needed?? Please explain your question??
Helpful - 0
222597 tn?1189755822
IS IT TRUE THAT IF YOU DO COKE,,SNIFF OCCASIONALLLY   U CANT GET SUB'S JUST METH??  THATS WHAT MY SSMT SAYS/  STRATFORD  E15
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
Getting down to 30mgs would be best. You would have to wait 48 hours from taking methodone to start Sub..  I only used Sub for 10 days and I felt great. Not sure about methodone.. you may wanna be on Sub for 3 weeks.. just to makes sure the methodone is out of your system..
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.