Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Opiate Withdrawal

I've been taking prescription painkillers for almost a year and a half now. It started when I had a wisdom tooth operation and was prescribed 5mg Percocet. Since then, my use has increased incredibly so much. I was spending hundreds of dollars a week; since I lived with my parents (I'm only 19), I was able to afford it. It began as taking just a couple of those to deal with the pain, which I couldn't get through due to a serious infection. I saved some for after I was well to experience a feeling of bliss that I had researched, and I enjoyed it very much. After that, I was asking around with my friends if anyone could find painkillers. As such, a friend of mine began hooking me up with a steady supply of 70-100 Watson brand 10mg Perocet ever 3 weeks. In addition to that, I began purchasing some Lortab's and Vicodin's off another friend. I would make a big purchase every so often, and it'd last me almost a month, and I'd share with friends, but before long, I was taking more and more myself, and not even selling any to my friends.

This led to me beginning to develop a very strong tolerance to the drug, where the point of a 10 mg perc wouldn't even give me a slight buzz, or if it did, it'd last maybe a half an hour. I never went as far as snorting or cold-water extraction, but I did consider it many times. After about 7 or 8 months of the 2-4 pills a day routine, I began to up it, and soon, I was taking almost 8-10 a day, easily, sometimes more. I wonder how I was coping with the 7500-15000mg of acetaminophen I was taking.

Anyway, this binge went on for many more months, and I began to find 30mg Oxycodone tablets with no aspirin, which made me feel a little safer as far as taking them. Those I was going through probably almost 5 or 6 a day. It was ridiculous.

A couple months ago, a friend of mine introduced me to Methadone. I did some research and read about how well it works as far as a detox drug. Since I was embarrassed to go to a local clinic and figured it'd roughly cost me the same to detox myself as it would at a clinic, I went with purchasing close to $1000 of it. I finished off whatever I had and began to attempt to detox myself.

I started at 30mg of it per day, and lowered down to 20mg later on, then dropped down to 10mg for the last two days. Unfortunately, I am still feeling the same withdrawal symptoms that I had before when I was fully addicted and would run out. The very upset, sickly, burning stomach feeling, the sleepless nights, the inability to focus, anxiousness, diarrhea, etc. All the normal feelings.

I'm looking for any suggestions as to what I can to help ease these pains that I suffer through for a while until I can at least completely call it quits and just be over and done with this whole damned thing. Any suggestions and I'd greatly appreciate it.
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Your body thinks Imodium is an opiate nod calms withdrawals. Check it out. Bluelught.ru. Google or erowid it.
Coming from a person whose had to detox on the fly many times.
Helpful - 0
Imodium AD. Why doesn't anyone know about using the twin effects of Imodium to help with WDS? Google it!
Helpful - 0
your story is very similar to my own except back to the part where you were taking 5to6 a day of the 30s, I was up to about 20 or 25 plus taking oxydose on top of that...That was at my worst, and my tolerance was MASSIVE, I met a few people that got that bad off...Most were dealers like myself at the time.  Thats the only way to afford that much.
I am not telling you this so you think i am a badass, but u prob wont belive how much i was taking anyways, and i dont care.  I definitively know more about oxy addiciton than any doctor so listen up.

1st Suboxone and Methadone you are saying, hey I wont take this pill as long as I can have this pill...Do you see the problem?

There fore here is my suggestion for a detox...take methadone 2 10s the first day...1 10mg the next day...the next day take 1 suboxone(NOT A SUBUTEX because you will cheat if you have subutex)...Then gradually step the suboxone down by quarters, take 3/4...Then 1/2...Then 1/4

Finally when you take that last 1/4...Go buy your self some multi-vitamins, and melatonin REMEMBER TO GET THE MELATONIN, some ibupropfen, and possibly even a pint of whiskey unless you are addicted to that too...in which case no whiskey...

Take all of those items and go way far out into the middle of nowhere stay at a farm prefably and just detox naturally after about a wk of steping down...It is important that you leave your car keys when you go, get someone else to take you, leave your cell phone, and your laptop, or any other communication device...Otherwise you will leave...I dont have time to explain the WHYs on any of this it is just so...Oh yeah and stay at this REMOTE place for 3 to 4 weeks before moving on....really 4....but it can be done in 3....Serious thats how long it takes...expect the insomnia to last about 10days

You may skip to the Vitamins and natural stuff any time after the first dose of suboxone, but you want atleast 1 dose of suboxone before you go, and you can skip the methadone and go straight to the suboxone.

When you re-enter society, go somewhere different where you know NONE, and change your environment...dont talk to any of your old running around pill friends for at least 1 yr it would be better if it was 2yrs...Then become a good influence on them if you must.

Listen to this, dont listen to this i dont care this is the way of 100% sure fire to get you "OFF the ****"
Helpful - 0
I Syntis,your not alone here with this type of problem. I too,have a horrible
addiction to oxy,I mean like taking upwards of 450mg a day. I stopped,or lets
say ran out of my pills and since I stopped Methadone cold turkey a month ago,thought I could kick this too.Oh, boy was I wrong,At least with the Meth
w/d's I had some sort of appetite.It's going on day 4,with the chills,insomnia,
runs,and just feeling horrible with no appetite at all.It will get better,I can feel it.
Since everyone said the Methadone was 10 times harder to kick than the oxy,
I was just sick of all the pill counting and abuse,so I just stopped,you can too.
It's by no means pleasant,but you will live and if you can get some Benzo's,
which I have been taking to sleep,you'll get by,but whatch the w/d's
of them,I've heard they are not too pleasant either.Good luck with whatever course you choose.
Helpful - 0
For some reason I thought you were tapering off of the pills..not off of the methadone..
my mistake.

You go through withdrawal with Methadone too..and it's still unpleasant..
Suboxone..also you have to deal with withdrawal.

replacement drugs aren't usually meant to help you taper fast...i mean you might as well just taper with  your drug of choice, what's the difference..Methadone incidentally is supposed to suck more..not as acute but withdrawal lasts longer.

replacement drugs..are meant for a 6 month to 2 year taper..gives you time to get your life in order..stabilise your dopamine levels and help you give you some nonwithdrawal time and nonhigh time so you can prepare to come off altogether..
Helpful - 0
if you have the money or health insurance, look into using Subutex/Suboxone to help you get a hold of your addiction.
You are tapering and that's good, but even during a taper, esp if it goes kind of quick which yours has..you're going to go through withdrawal..you'll still feel like **** but just not as bad as if you had totally jumped off.. You will have to jump off completely to take Sub..because it's going to send you into withdrawal anyway if you don't and then you probably won't want sub either.

Suboxone is similar to Methadone..big difference is that you don't have to go to a clinic all the time, can get up to a months supply and it isn't as strong.
It will prevent withdrawal though and it will get you off of  the poweful opiates you are now taking. It is also an opiate though, though not as strong (it won't get you really high)..it's big thing is it binds so strong to your opiate receptors that if you were to try and get high while on it, it wouldn't work.. Plus it kills cravings.

I saw a show on HBO called addiction..the chances of not relapsing without replacement therapy (methadone,suboxone) are not good, 80 percent relapse (might be bigger number)..Not saying it can't be done, but it's really,really hard..And the first 5-7 days are not the worst..the worst days are the period of PAWs that comes after initial detox..post accute withdrawals..anxiety, fatigue, depression..not feeling good in general..that's what most people relapse because of and that can last for years, though usually not longer than 2

You can do it without replacement therapy..taking vitamins,looking after yourself..look into all sorts of over the counter remedies.
anyway this is really long..
I hope some of this info helps a little.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.