Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Benzo Equivalence Chart Variations and more

I have a feeling this post will draw some fire, so that's fine with me. Let me start by saying that I have researched the subject matter extensively, consulting MDs, Pharmacists and the good ole Internet. In the UK a Dr named Heather Ashton is worshipped as a saviour for benzo addicted people and insists that the only way to come off ANY benzo is to switch to the equivalent dose of Valium. This is problematic in a number of ways.
1) She states 1mg xanax=20mg valium  accepted in UK only as conversion estimate

2) Virtually ALL US and Canadian medical professinals estimate the equivalency to be between 5-10 mg of valium per 1mg xanax

3) Xanax is a 1,4 triazalo benzo targeting completely different receptor sites than valium

4) Many unfortunate individuals attempting this have wound up with a dual dependency because of this fact

On the subject of the UK and it's benzo forums, I have been there and in my opinion most of the people making posts, including the administrators, suffer from some sort of untreated mental illness ranging from OCD to Schizophrenia. It is blatantly obvious by their religiosity regarding anti-benzo thinking, much as the Scientology group condemns the field of Psychiatry. Lay persons should NOT give holier than thou medical advice to those who have become dependent on ANY drug. A competent MD should ALWAYS be the first line of action in treating a medical condition. Support is one thing...self prescribing is another. Prescribing is for licensed physicians only.

As far as DEA Scedule 2 narcotics are concerned, they are reserved for the most serious medical conditions and certainly NOT for recreational use. Around here we have a heroin epidemic with MANY addicts being found dead with the needle still in their arm due to the purity and high added dose of crystalline fentanyl added to the mixture. This is absolutely Russian Roulette, and I would strongly advise anyone buying street narcotics get into rehab ASAP before they die. IMO.

And for those who religiously claim that benzos are evil and brain damaging, for the record I developed 3 clean energy patents in the past 3 years while taking these "evil" drugs and earned close to $2 million as a result. So much for the debilitating effects of benzos. One final note: Years ago I was legally prescribed valium 10mg 4 x a day and kicked it after 5 years. The night terrors were absolutely horrific. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. BTW am doing fine with my direct taper off xanax. OK, bring it on... God Bless      Steve
34 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
198154 tn?1337787265
this thread is 2 years old.  This person is no longer here
Helpful - 0
You are very aggressive and confrontational for someone full of benzos.  
Helpful - 0
388261 tn?1215399844
Oh noooooo....whatever shall I do? I take........shhhhhhhhh......Xanax.

And Zoloft.

And Halcion.

And Vicodin.

And and and and........

Am I reading this right? There are people at some forum putting people down for taking benzos? May I ask why? Is there not more to do than argue over such petty benzo issues.

By the way, I just named my new timber wolf "Benzo". Tee hee! Is some Benzo Internet Police going to jump out and cuff me?

I love it when someone finds out I am a nutter and thinks I am going to hurt them, or talk to them with my eyes crossed.

Do I need a benzo exorcism?

*sigh*

Stupid people shouldn't breed.

I take Xanax, Zoloft, Halcoin, etc etc etc......and I am damned lucky. Because if it were not for these drugs, I would be a walking nightmare. Not a published author, not own my own business, not live in my dream State of Alaska, and not be able to raise my wonderful son.

So for all of the freaks who think benzos are bad bad bad....bring it on. No but seriously, are benzos like the Devils valium or something? I don't get it.

Xanax saved me from falling in love with the worst kind of gentlemen. Let's see, one was Mr. Jack Daniels, Mr. Heroin, Mr. Smack, Mr. Cocaine, and last, but not least, that b*tch Mary Jane. And let's not forget to mention all of those various nasty withdrawals.

By the way, I have been on Xanax and sometimes Atavan for the past 4 plus years. And I only take them when needed. And occasionally, I will sleep with Prince Valium in order to be sure I get a full 8 hours of sleep. But as for being addicted to them...nah, I like opiates much better. And like I said, I detox very nicely with Xanax......so someone please enlighten me.

Am I bad?

*rolls eyes*

Peace
Helpful - 0
over the years, i've had valium, rivotril, xanax, klonopin, atavan (sp?), and the worst for
me was valium.  it was a difficult time to get off them.  i have no problem with the others
at all, and can stop and start at will.  go figure.  we are all different seems to apply.
but i have to say, my brain takes a beating on benzo's, but it seems to recuperate (i hope).  
fb
Helpful - 0
i agree with the fact that benzos are very adictive,however if it used as a last solution then so be it.the big problem with the benzos are that people start to tolarate them rather quikly which leads to taking more then prescr..
i may case im on rivotrils 2mg twice a day(social phobia).
ive lived the ups and downs.
docs  usualy give bezos after giving you all kinds of meds.
ive got ssri anti depr.. seroquel. xyprexa.. name it i probably had it.
doc now a day like to believe everybody is bipolar.
Dont get me wrong, if u decide to stop go for it.. if realy have anxiety i recommend you
think twice before you stop.
out of my own exp.. i would sugest you you reduce your dose slowly.
(check what doses are available with your bezo)
EX RIVOTRILS come in 2mg 1mg .5 mg .2mg
Helpful - 0
195648 tn?1231812118
You're doing a great job and your posts are appareciated so please do not think that I'm knocking you for your efforts.
You don't have to know about a topic to offer support and your experience in general. (just food for thought)
Bless you too......
Helpful - 0
Dear mom,
   The reason I've been limiting my posts to the benzo issue is twofold:
A)It is still a topic among people here

B) I have NO experience with opiates and am therefore not qualified to respond to such questions

Having said that I appreciate your kind remarks.  Gods' Best,  Steve
Helpful - 0
195648 tn?1231812118
Steve, it's wonderful that you're doing better.  With that said, I have to express my disappointment that all of your posts are now directed at this topic.  I rarely, if ever, see you post with encouragement to others about anything other that the benzo topic.  I appreciate your knowledge and experience but this is also a forum for us to help each other with addiction and I'm finding your here simply to educate us on the dangers of benzos in post after post.
No disrespect meant, just food for thought.
Have a great day!
PS
Have you checked out the anxiety forum at all?  Your thoughts might help someone there as well.
Helpful - 0
It encourages me to see other people with mental health issues finding their way into this forum. Perhaps in time this will help to de-stigmatize our illness. Drs write long term benzo prescriptions when they feel it is needed to maintain balance in a persons mind, depending on diagnosis. BTW if anyone wants "us" to leave the forum, just say the word.   Steve
Helpful - 0
I have the similar worries as you Gonzalo. I so find ssri to make me feel very down and uneasy all the time. I take xanax often and some valium very rarely. This helps my anxiety immensely. I do prefer the valium.

My point is trying a mood stabiliser called lamotrigine... or lamictal is the brand name. I was prescribed it for eilepsy but its also useful for other disorders as it has some sedative properties. It is helping me with my depression and helps my anxiety. it stops my panic especially with a benzo thrown in. I'm new to benzos but I adore them, they are changing my life for the better and allowing me to hold conversations with others... interviews... without exaggerated nervousness and self doubting. Have a look at the lamotrigine, anyway.
Helpful - 0
And try not to put the AT symbol, @,  because the computer will delete it. Put "AT" instead of the symbol as I did in my posts.
Lets try something more. Give your home email and I'll try to contact you.
Anyway, do you have msn messenger?
Helpful - 0
Try reaching me at my company email address :***@****.
Perhaps I can reply then  (??)
Helpful - 0
Not good...my computer won't allow the overseas email transmission!! Could have something to do with our domestic surveillance program and terrorist threats. Talk about loss of freedom. So sorry!! Be back later. Steve
Helpful - 0
I got your email before they deleted it! I will contact you soon, my friend. Meanwhile I have a cardiology appointment this morning that will take a few hours. Take care,  Steve
Helpful - 0
My email is gouzinhoATmsn.com   or gouzinhoATgmail.com
Helpful - 0
Try to add the msn email to your messenger if you have
Helpful - 0
Hi Gonzalo,
  First of all I had a complete ennucleation of the occular orbit as the stab wound went very close to my brain. It was a 17 hour facial reconstructive surgery, EXTREMELY painful.
  As far as your question about being Bipolar or something else, I can't diagnose but can say that many psych disorders begin with extreme anxiety and then evolve into something else years later. Again, it takes a really good psychiatrist to make an accurate diagnosis and prescribe accordingly. Don't be afraid to ask a new psychiatrist a few questions of your own and leave him/her if the chemistry is bad. It takes time to find someone you can work with.
   I could go on but don't wish to subject other forum members to the "psychobabble" as it is sometimes referred to.  Gods' Best,  Steve

PS I would give my email address but the rules prohibit it. They would delete it immediately as you have seen.
Helpful - 0
Incredibe, what a coincidence!.

Was the problem with your eye the fact which triggered the mental issues or you were with symptoms before? I think in my case, the problem with my eye has had a lot of influence in my state.

You have a prosthesis right now? Im going to get a prosthesis in a month, I wonder how would it look like my appearance with it, how to get used to go with it. I find it quite hard. I was trough surgery 2 months ago. I was done an evisceration and I was put a silicon implant. Now Im waiting to be put the corneal prosthesis.

Im interested in how did you ended up with your diagnosis of bipolar disorder? You had clear signs or it began as a simple depression anxiety and became bipolar disorder? I wonder if my case is something like that. Maybe bipolar people start showing symptoms of anxiety or depression and are diagnosed as GAD, depression, etc when in fact what they have is Bipolar disorder. And maybe it last years till the diagnosis of bipolarity comes clear.

Im glad you're ok and feeling good.

Thanks my friend,

Gonzalo
Helpful - 0
Gonz,
   You know I can't diagnose as I am not qualified to do so. Any lay person should be extremely careful about giving medical advice. By the way, I am without my left eye too...what a cooincidence, huh? It was stabbed out in 1989 and eventually lead to panic disorder.
   SSRIs and ADs make me very unstable. My pharmacy has me listed as allergic to them and won't fill any prescriptions for them. We are all different.In my opinion, you always have the right to seek medical counsel until you are satisfied with the results. I honestly don't know if you meet the criteria for bipolar disorder, but you obviously have a medical condition as I do. DO NOT go to the anti benzo forums in the UK!! They are very full of themselves and judging by their posts, the majority of them are untreated mentally ill and would do better without their holier than thou attitude. I, too, was insulted so I left. They had the gall to call me a nut!! Is that support? It is slander, clear and simple. So don't aggravate yourself, my friend. And welcome to the forum..many people here deal with issues different than ours, but no one has asked me to leave yet. If they do I will of course comply.
  The very best to you,  Your friend   Steve
Helpful - 0
Hi Steve,

My sleep patterns are not disturbed. And I really dont have mood swings, except when I take an AD that I feel a bit wired. When I am very anxious I tend to sleep more than normal and I dont want to do nothing, I feel blocked. I havent really experience those episodes of mania which are descripted in the literature. I've always been anxious and melancholic but my first  anxiety attack appeared 7 years ago ( I was 23). In that moment I was treated with Prozac+Amitriptiline+Xanax and I recovered totally in one week and i was fine for a period of 2 years. But, when I was quite stable I had a relapse and since then Ive been always very anxious with bouts of depression, never too deep. When I take an SSRI's I feel some kind of energy that enables me to function intellectually, but which I find very uncomfortable because I feel emotionally numb as If I were not myself, as I if I were druged. I become emotionless, and I lost interest in things, as if everything were not important for me at all. I've been treated by 4 psyquiatrist and none of them thinks Im Bipolar. They say I have treats of a personality disorder of the anxious cluster. Obsesive-Timid personality. It's been already 6 years since I first experience those anxiety symptoms, which arouse becasue of the exams and my eye-accident and now I'm worried of being misdiagnosed, maybe Im bipolar 2. How could I know if im bipolar for sure?

Gonza
Helpful - 0
I am NOT a Dr but can tell you that it takes time and luck to find a really good psychiatrist. If you were Bipolar you would have lots of anxiety with a tendency to have mood swings. Sleep patterns would be disturbed. Only a qualified Physician can make the diagnosis and prescribe correctly. As long as I take medications, I am quite functional. I will be back on the board in a couple of hours and would be happy to answer your questions to the best of my ability.

God Bless,  Steve

PS Today there is no shame to having a psychiatric diagnosis.
Helpful - 0
Hi again Steve,

How did you realize you were Bipolar, you knew from the first time? Did you had any tests? How many years passed till you were correctly diagnosed? You dont take any SSRI's or AD? In my family there is no treat of mental illness, we are all quite anxious but no one in my family has any record of mental illness of any kind. I know I could be the first of the line. Im scared of the misdiagnosis. Maybe Im suffering without sense. I wish I knew exactly which is my diagnosis. Do you think a psyquiatrist recognize a case of Bipolarity easily?

Thanks Steve,

Gonzalo.
Helpful - 0
Dear Gonz,
  I am Bipolar 1 and take a pretty high dose of xanax, as well as Geodon and Lithium. I too share your fear of antidepressants and SSRIs. The meds only keep me stable...they do NOT intoxicate me. Of course there is associated anxiety.I also have Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Panic. Thats partly what the benzos are for I really hope this helps.  Steve

PS As long as you take your meds as prescribed, you may be dependent but are not considered an addict in terms of drug seeking behavior. And time can heal us in the future with the advent of new meds.:)
Helpful - 0
Hi Steve,

Your objetive comments are very alleviating for some of us suffering from anxiety.
Are you taking just Xanax or something more? What is your diagnosis? I've been diagnosed with anxiety-depression by many doctors. Now they say I could stand with a benzo only but Im afraid depression could appear sometime. I find when I take an AD I can focus better and I miss it when Im withoout it, but when I take it I feel aggitated and emotionally dumb and I cant bear with the side effects.
Lately Im worry because Ive read some cases of anxiety mixed with depession could be Bipolar II. My doctors say Im not Bipolar but Im afraid they could be wrong. And on the whole, Im afraid in the future I could lead a normal and happy life. AD makes me unhappy paradoxically and some way more depressed, while benzos dont affect me that way neccesarily.

Gonza.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.