Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

i am taking 4 lortabs at a time, approximately 5 times a day, is there a way i can get off these without having to go t

I ama taking 4 lortabs at a time 5 times a day, is there any way i can get off these without having to go to a methadone clinic?
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
221182 tn?1199263667
Yes their is and I hope you don't end up at the methadone clinic, You need to take the time to kick taper or whatever works. But methadone is a bad way to go it is much stronger and harder to kick. Stays in your system for much longer than lortabs I don't know what your situation is weather you buy them off the street take them for pain from doctor. If doctor tell him you wanna get off of them and he will hopefully help, If off the streets try telling yourself I wont use second to second miunute to minute hour to hour day to day, get involved in N.A. you will get good support from people who are doing the same thing..And don't give up..a-wakan
Helpful - 0
Well, one thing you can try is to taper down your dosage until you are at nothing. This takes alot of willpower and is best if you have a friend that will hold and dispense your lills for you.

You can also try cold-turkey. Expect a few days of intense hell, then some more of just feeling like ****. It's hard, no doubt, but many have been able to do it, and YOU CAN TOO.

Since you mentioned methadone, a little thing I do when I'm out of hydro's is to take some methadone in a particular way. I wait for the feelings of withdrawal to hit, then take one 10mg methadone. The methadone will usually last 24 hours. I will usually take one a day for about 3 days, then stop. This gets me through the worst of the hydro withdrawal. After that, don't expect to feel great, or even good, but you will have gotten through the worst. Your willpower will have to take over at that point. Some good counseling is probably a good idea to help you recognize your triggers and some ways to get through the cravings. You will have some cravings. The good news is they only last a short period of time, like 10 minutes. Occupy yourself when you feel the cravings begin, and before you know it they will be gone.

I have heard too many bad things about methadone addiction and the withdrawals to recommend to you to get on a long-term methadone plan. The way that I use them is a short-term, low-dosage solution that helps me in the beginning. That is all I do with methadone. I know some use it to get a buzz, but I've never felt anything from it other than it helps w/the withdrawal symptoms.

Good luck, and come back to the board when you can. There is alot of great advice here if you don't mind weeding out the bs posts. Some get carried away in their aruments with others, some come here just to start shizit, and some get carried away with all of the "small talk" **** that should be kept off of this forum.

Helpful - 0
Some people taper, reducing 10% of the drug every several days at a time.  Others have used suboxone and many claim that it is easier to stop taking suboxone than it is to stop methadone.

Others just cold turkey and that works for them.   The important thing is to have a support system after you stop so that you are able to stay off of them.

Best of all and let us know how you are doing, ok?

tzt
Helpful - 0
What are you taking? 5, 7.5 or 10mg? Depending on that, I'd say the severity of how deeply you're involved with this will vary. In order for me to feel anything from Lortab's, I would have to take at least 30-40mg at a time. I self-medicated myself with methadone for almost a month, starting at 20mg a day for about two weeks, then dropping down to 10mg a day for the last two days. This left me not feeling the withdrawals as bad as I did when I tried to cold-turkey several months ago, and I know I had gotten much worse since then; I was cold-turking off of maybe three or four pills a day, and when I did the self-medicating methadone, I was taking nearly 120mg of Oxycodone a day, and probably the equivalent of hydrocodone when I couldn't get my hands on some percs.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.