Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

What does 10 mg of morphine every two hours do to ones ability to make decisions?

My father is receiving 10 mg of morphine every two hours while recovering from cancer surgery.  He has a hard time articulating questions or subjects.  Most of his interaction is limited to yah, o.k., nope, yep, etc..  Once in a while a subject may catch his attention but not for long.

Can someone describe for me what this level of morphine would do to his ability to make crittical decisions for himself?

Norm 234
11 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
the doctor of my mom suggested to take 30mg of morphine sulfate once a day but we have only 10mg of it... is it okay to take it 3 10mg of morphine at the same time?
Helpful - 0
It's actually 120 mg a day, assuming he never sleeps.

10 mg every 2 hrs. (10 mg x 12 = 120) isn't very much. But, I'll take 30 ten mgs of hydro a day if I have them. That's 300 mg's a day! I'm sure on some days I take even more than that.

Dang, looking at it like that is scary. Maybe I should write it out every day as a reminder of how much I'm abusing my meds!

Helpful - 0
It really depends on the person and the length of time he has been on it.  You will need a doctor to declare him incompetent.  I am so sorry you have to go through this and I wish I could be more help.

Shel
Helpful - 0
Have you asked his dr.?   My mom was on morphine before she passed away but she couldn't speak due to a stroke.   She just seemed more lethargic on the morphine.
Sorry you are having to go through this, I know it is soo difficult to watch our loved ones go through this.

tzt
Helpful - 0
I am going to follow up with the hospital next week.  Based on our current experience, the doctors are not very responsive.  That is the main reason I thought I would try the Web.

Norm 234
Helpful - 0
My father has already signed a document giving up control of his investment account.  I was told he asked no questions about what was going on.  I need to learn what this level of medication does to determine if he was incompetent.

Norm 234
Helpful - 0
198154 tn?1337787265
10mg. is a VERY small dose
Helpful - 0
I agree w/TrayCee yet again. 10 mg is a very small dose. Maybe something else if affecting his abilities?

Helpful - 0
10 mg every 2 hours is 140mg a day isnt it?
Helpful - 0
oops 70 mg, my math sucks.
Helpful - 0
My father was on high doses of morphine for cancer and his decision making ability was not there.  He could not even write with the levels he was at.  My mom had to make the decisions for him.  May I ask what the problem is?  Are you thinking about getting power of attorney?

Shel
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.