Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Pain mgt. dr. stopped my meds; dependent on norco; scared to death

Hi everyone. I have been taking Norco for management of my chronic pain (neck, back and fibromylagia) for 6 yrs. During my last monthly visit to my pain management dr. 3 wks. ago, he abruptly informed me he is no longer doing pain management and will no longer prescribe my pain medication. My body is very used to it, I have built up a tolerance and have needed more than what he prescribed; have been obtaining additional pills from friends. I have experienced withdrawals from having too few pills but have never been completely out because I KNOW I have to space out my remaining pills. I cannot find another dr. who will prescribe them and my family dr. adamantly will not. I am almost out. The doctors in my area (Ohio/PA)are all becoming very strict with pain scripts, cutting patients off left and right. I know I am dependent on them. They do help my pain and allow me to work. I am a single mother, 50 yrs. old, a professional and work two jobs. Prior to starting on Norco, I went through a 12 step program for chronic pain management about 7 yrs. ago and did very well. I was well aware of the recommendation to never start on narcotics. Then I was involved in a 2nd car accident and the ER dr. gave me a script and I admit they truly helped my pain. They still do, but I require larger amounts to have the same effect. My question is, what is the difference between dependance and addiction; is there a difference? I am considering going into detox. I know I cannot detox at home. I would not be able to get through it. I am familiar with addiction; my ex-fiance, now good friend, is a recovering crack addict, who I lived with for 2 yrs. during his drug use; I got through it by going to Al-Anon. My sister is a recovering drug addict, clean now 20plus yrs. I am reaching out for help and would appreciate anyone's suggestions. I find this forum comforting. Thanks, K in Ohio
9 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I have been on and off of different drugs for a long time.  I was sober for 4 yrs, then prescribed pain meds for migraines.  Never knew they were addoctive, took them as prescribed, has a scrpt for mos.  After my daughters birth, I had a stomach condition which they recommended surgery and put me on pain pills for 3 mos.  My ins ran out and I couldnt get the surgery so I stopped taking the pills.  2005 I moved to CA as a single parent with my 15 mos old at the time.  I developed chronic back pain, and again, was put on pain meds.  After 2 mos of recognizing my dose was going up, they put me on subutex, which stays in your system for longer for my chronic back probs.  A lot of people never heard of sub being used for pain management; however, I took 1-2 mg a day, and I was fine.  I moved back east, reconciled with my then fiancee, now husband (worst mistake i ever made) and became pregnant again.  The docs at our ocal well renowned hospital took me off the subutex, and put me on pan meds.  I have told them over and over I wan to be off well before this child is born so I can nurse.  So Im starting my own taper.  You should ask FL about taperong.  She did a fantastic job and is doing well.  Ive been tryig to cut a half a pill a day for 5 days, then another half for another 5 days, etc.  Everyones body is different.  I just know for my pregnancy I want to completely off my 36 weeks.  Peple here are very helpful.  ask a lot of quesions, and there are 7 day outpatint doc who will do a 7 day suboxone detox for you, and it works wonders if you so exacrly what they tell you to do
Helpful - 0
Actually my Dr said there is a big difference in dependency, and addiction....and you have to figure out which one you are...not saying I agree, just saying....By the way....Hello....Happy 4th everyone....I have two young boys that are some serious little pyros this time of year.....
Helpful - 0
hi.. and welcome.

may i ask how many you are taking a day?

warmly,
mj
Helpful - 0
I take them every 3-4 hrs; about 2-4 of the 10's, 2 to 4 times a day, depending on how long my day is. also depends on what I have. Today I had to get up at 3:45 am to be at work at 5am then went to my daughters softball playoffs and am going to sleep soon. Other days that I awake at 6 or 7am, I may take less.
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
That is great you are gonna go to detox... will help you get on the right track..
I find some people start out dependent and become addicts... something in the thinking changes.. Most dependent people do not take extra pills from friends. most can keep to their recomeded doses. or talk to their doc instead of raising it themselves. Only you can say whether or not you are addicted..

I welcome you to the site and hope you can find the support you need to get off pills and find other ways to manage your pain.
Helpful - 0
hi... i asked how many because i was wondering how many you would be coming off of.

i think maybe it doesn't really matter whether you're dependant or addicted, because it sounds like you are taking quite a bit (10+ a day maybe?) so it's probably enough to where it has had an impact on your life at this point.. emotionally, physically, etc. -  usually a negative impact, btw.

(and I do understand the chronic pain, I have chronic pain as do many people here on this forum.. it's very, very tough.)

so.. do you want to stop taking them?  i guess that would be my next question... and then we can go from there!  (and it CAN be done, if you want to.)

very warmly,
mj
Helpful - 0
Yes, marcatj is correct. It doesn't really matter. Only you know where you are in your dependency, or your addiction. I think by coming to this site I realized I have some issues, and some worries. A friend in AA said to me a long time ago if you think you might be, or you are worried you might be....you probably are....just food for thought.....Have a great night...
Helpful - 0
177036 tn?1192286635
I don't think your doc can legally take you off medication like that abruptly... I think you have legal recourse and if you threaten litigation over this, he might warm up to you a little donutink?
Helpful - 0
very good question is there a difference between dependency and addiction...

Is there a difference between lucifer and satan.....

I guess there spelled different.....but in my opinion there are very the same......
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.