Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

oxycontin withdrawal

Can someone explain to me wat I will go through and the timetable because I am on hour 11 of quitting oxycontin and percocet cold turkey and iwas taking about 120 mg's a day of either one that I could get my hands on (not 120 mg's of each a day, just 120 mg's of both together) ...any help would be much appreciated.
thank you.
22 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Well you really need to go back to ur doctor or to the er and let them know you are having wit drawers thats nothing to play with you can actually die so plz go to a doctor and tell them the truth about whats going on with ur condition.
Helpful - 0
15467613 tn?1440738485
I feel bad for the person going thru thus..I've done it..wd's last longer for me  but the wd symtoms that person will feel is cold sweats, hot sweats, flu like symptoms (skin even hurts to touch or b touched)  if it gets to bad , ur bp can get high n u should go to hospital or nearest urgent care...they can treat u to lesson the symptoms if u just b honest...if it gets bad enough u willl go but as long as u tell dr the truth they will understand and help..they gave me shot of morphine and it eased it so much I could tolerate the wds for awhile n was able to sleep for a bit..the er dr told me to come back the next night n he'd help me again!
Helpful - 0
Hey Oldspice,

This thread is several years old.  Post your question as a new post and you'll get some good answers.  I'd answer but I don't know.  Never took drugs for actual pain.
Helpful - 0
What about merijuana as a pain relief?  The percocet works, 1 to 2 a day but our unavailable.  I can get the marijuna easily enough but I quit smoking over two years ago and hate to start up again.  I'm 71 and should be able to choose my own pain relief but the government intrudes.
Helpful - 0
I have been batteling oxy addiction for quite some time. I was up to 80 mg 3x-day, and that was 45 days ago. I have cronic pain that will never go all the way away. I'm discussed with having to be dependant upon a pill. I have been weaning myself off and havn't had a pill for 2 days now. I'm going crazy!!! I hurt all over, can't sleep, can't function, can't do a lot of things including function. Not sure what the heck to do...
Helpful - 0
Why would someone join a program based on honesty,openmindness,letting go of secrets and on and on but start of with a lie at worst ,,a secret at best ? How about "I have a desire to stop using  and thats the ONLY requirement for membership" ?
Helpful - 0
forget counting the hours honey, im on day 18 and i was doing 180 mg of oxycontin a night, on top of percocets. i still have completely numb hands, cant walk on my feet in the morning, my spine aches, all of my muscles ache, my joints and bones ache. and on top of that im in a methadone program at 75 mg of methadone and still not up to maintenance level which is 85 and they are saying i might have to go higher..if this is what im feeling and i at least have medication, you are going to feel worse and dont listen to these idiots who say six days thats how long you would be in a detox program, but you will be feeling withdrawal symptoms for up to a month. dont listen to the people who brag about suboxone because its ********! i met personally with a clinician who headed up a study of suboxone vs. methadone..suboxone does not bind to the opiod receptors in your brain, and it is an opiate blocker. so basically if you do oxys you wont feel the effect but your brain still craves the drug. people who only need about 40mg of methadone to maintain do fine on suboxone, but for people like us, it wont to ****, and its been proven people relapse more on suboxone. yes its a pain in the *** tos go to the clinic every morning but the longer your clean, the less you have to go--they'll give you take home bottles. the taper for methadone is very long, so that you wont feel withdrawals from methadone seeing as it is a legal opiate drug used to wean addicts off of opiates, so plan to be in the program at least a year. and weaning yourself off of oxys by tapering off the drug itself (going from 80 to 40 to 20 mg) might be easier but it is illegal. go to a detox facility, then go to inpatient 28 day program, and then do an intensive outpatient paired with the methadone program or the suboxone if you want to be an idiot and relapse, **** NA meetings people go there that still use to try to make other connections, go to AA and replace the word alcohol with oxy, work the steps and get a sponsor and you'll do great--but tell neither organization youre on methadone or suboxone..they dont see that as clean.
Helpful - 0
Im not trying to be rude..but you keep asking the same questions.  Vicodin, Methadone...they are all opiates.  SO, YES YOU WILL SCREW YOURSELF OVER AND OVER BY TAKING ANY ONE OF THOSE.  You will be sick for a week or so then you have to deal with not sleeping, depression and anxiety.  I quit 5 weeks ago and i still feel very manic, depressed a little.  The worst is waking up every morning with the worst anxiety.  Suboxone is also an Opiate.  I went to a doc in O.C. California and decided that i didnt want another pill to take so i stopped seing him.   The opiate in suboxone wont get you high but will probably make you very dizzy at first.  Suboxone basically replaces the "Bad" opiate on your receptors throughout your body.  I guess it is better than quitting cold turkey but its expensive for the doc visits and is sometimes very difficult to find depending on where you live.  Good luck
Helpful - 0
How are you doing????
Helpful - 0
216878 tn?1196037520
Another thing is getting NO sleep, for the first 14 nights for me and alot of others on here it was almost impossibe...Think this was the worse part of the w/d''s for me. I was so tired, but just could NOT lay still at night. So if you are able to take nap during the day - by all means do it...

This is a few things that helped me:

Imodium - for your stomach - runs

Melatonin - over-the-counter sleeping pill (or anything that might help you sleep)

Bananas - for the potasium (helps with the restless leg syndrom you'll have)
Try to eat like 3 or so a day.

GingerAle - was all i could handle to drink

Long hot baths in the evening...helps alot

Heating pad - i used at night behind my neck and on my legs

I also started taking "Vitamin B complex" and "Womens one a day for energy pills"

You need to stay strong, and just take one day at a time, sometimes even hour to hour.

Remember the first 4 -6 days are the worse, just keep telling yourself you can do this, make it past them first few days, and you will be well on your way. I promise!!!

As soon as you are up for it, make yourself WALK, i know it is hard to do cause your energy level is very low, but it does help ALOT. You gotta force yourself, and after a few days you should start and notice a difference..

Let me know if i can be of any more help to you...

I wish you all the best!!

Hopeless
Helpful - 0
first off I would like to thank you for the reply in such a short time thank you very much i just feel so alone...cant tell any family members b'c I was a standout athlete got to college and the pills kicked in and took my life over so I dropped out n just decided to be a barber...took the easy way out of course so i cant tell them because they would flippp but whatever...and I am a little worried about one thing..I told my friend about it and he got worried about me so he got a methadone pill and i knew to wait to take it so i just took it a lil while ago when it was safe to take it and then i read all this stuff on the internet about how bad that is for you and to only take it if you want to take the long road to recovery and that is out of the question for me...so i took 20 mg's of it(half of the pill) ...and still feel like **** may i add but not as bad as I know i will feel....but how will this effect the time table now....will the 11 hrs of being oxy free be whiped out because of this....I will be so mad if that is so haha...well thank you for your help there is no turning back now i flushed everything I just want my life back and want to be able to live like a normal 21 yr old and have fun with my friends ...thanks alot for all your help buddy..
oh and woiuld darvocet or vicoden just delay the withdrawal time or could they actually help to get through it... thanks alottttttttttt i really do appreciate all your help.
Helpful - 0
thanks alot kim see i woulda never known....thats why this site is the best fr doin this...ah and no sleep is watever to me...wat about ambien tho? my aunt takes that , i never took it tho but i heard that can help alot during W/D....so i dno for right now im just cold turkeyin it but eventually ill prolly need some form of medicine just not a narcotic ....i just wish i knew for sure if taking a vicoden or darvocet would just be a waste of time or if that would help me get through some of the time cuz i can get darvocet from my nonna...i dnoooo whatever i was thinkin about not even puttin anything in my body after that 20 mg methadone....i just hope that that wasnt a waste of time itself and that i will have to start all over again when that leaves my body...i just wish i knew how all this stuff works!!! haha its rough bein so in the dark about somethin so ridiculously huge in your life....oh well ima keep fightin this thing no matter watt....thanks everyoneee keep the suggestions comin this site is one of the things keepin me goin :)
Helpful - 0
welppp its been 26 hrs now....the pain is prolly just about to pick upppppppp ohw ellll here goes nothinnnnn
Helpful - 0
216878 tn?1196037520
If you take another pill like darvocet or something, yes it is going to just set you back. DO NOT take it!

You can do this, it takes some time, but like i said the first 4-5 days or so will be the worse...

I know how you are feeling, i really do. I quit c/t on june 3rd, made it 14 days was so proud of myself then i slipped and started taking again, so now i am at day 1 all over again. I too, just want my life back, tired of looking for pills all the time, and tired of not wanting to go anywhere unless i know i have enough to take with me. Just tired of all that...

I was taking up to 10 sometimes more a day of percocet for 4 years. I ran our on June 3, so had no other choice but to quit. My life revolve around them...And just like you no one new. Except my husband. Had tohide it from my parents, friends, and everyone else. That is so hard to do.

This forum, has helped so much - just knowing there are so many others going through the same thing as you is amazing. So i would say to you, stay here and keep posting, it lets you know what to expect next and so on. This has been a life-saver for me, and for so many others on here.
Anytime you need help or just need advice, just ask here...Someone will always answer you, if they dont get to you right away don't worry they will...

All my best to you - remember ONE DAY AT A TIME - or - HOUR TO HOUR
whatever works best for you..

Hopeless
Helpful - 0
Hey there.  First off, I want to also say I admire and commend you for making the decision you have.  Way to go!!  I was reading this thread, and someone made a suggestion to you to make sure you have some ativan (generic = lorazepam) on hand to help you with the sleep issue.  I, personally, would discourage that.  Ativan is not a narcotic, true, but it is JUST AS ADDICTIVE as a narcotic.....and the w'ds are worse.  I've been there (accidentally, as I ran out of my prescription for ativan and didn't think anything of it......until I started withdrawing from it).  Bad news.  I don't think you want to trade one thing for another.....and it doesn't take long at all for the human body to become physically dependent upon ativan.  So, from my (horrendous) experience, I'd say if you can, deal with the lack of sleep issue in another way and try to stay away from ativan.  Hate to see you dealing with more problems than you have to!  Good luck and keep posting.  Hang in there!  Prayer does help.  Blessings to you.....   ~Kim
Helpful - 0
thanks cindy i appreciate it.....yea i cant sleep already and am beginning to feel it....its gonna be a rough few days but I use alot of diff things to make the time go by...movies, songs, prayer...all kinds of stuff haha...It really helps that I am between school and finding a job because i will have the time i need thats why it must be done right now...thanks alot and I'm sorry for your loss as i can tell by your user name. thansk again.
Helpful - 0
Hi, now roof and hopeless may have a different opinion and if so, I would listen to them, but I personally do not think it would be a good idea to take the Methadone, it seems to me like it would just be delaying the inevitable.  I have been on Methadone for many years and I would never recommend anyone taking it, ever.  You were asking earlier what you could expect with the withdrawal and when, I would imagine by the time you wake up in the morning, you will be feeling it, and I know everyone compares withdrawal to a bad case of the flu and I guess that is because there is really nothing else to relate to, but the few times I have experienced, it was surely worse than any flu I ever had.  It is just pure agony.  I think some people react differently though, and we will have to pray and hope that you are one of those people.  I hope you have as easy a time as possible and are able to stick to your guns.  Good Luck, you are to be admired and respected for what you are doing.

Love, Cindy
Helpful - 0
thanks alot guys i appreciate it...I am definitely going to stay on this site the whole time there is no other way to do it ..... I pride myself on defying the odds and getting myself in shitty situations just to find a way to get out of them no matter how hard it may be...I went through withdrawals once before but rushed it and decided i could go out with my friends after like day 5....wrong i got drunk and immediately the next morning needed somethin to relieve my hangover and god-awful feelings.....so this time i know not to rush it becasue it will be worth it in the long run..... my only remaining question is if I can keep getting my hands on these methadone pills and manage to only take 20 mg's a day.....will that get me through it or will that just prolong the process and then ill have to go through withdrawal to that? like i said either way im doing it im a headstrong kinda person (I thought that applied to everything in life until I met mr. perc/oxy) its amazing how it suckers you in...if i knew back then what i know now...jeez. welp no time to look back im pretty stoked to take this thing head on no matter how terrrrrible its gonna be...thanks alot guys. you and my friends are the only ones i can vent to it really does help.
Helpful - 0
177036 tn?1192286635
The time tabel vary per person.  What really helped me was asking the doctor to prescribe clonidine and ativan.  These two meications will help with anxiety and sleeplessness and are not narcotic.
best
fish
Helpful - 0
I'm not advising taking a hydro or a darvocet or any other narcotic at this point.  Trading one for another gets you no where.  You could try ambien for the sleep.  It is addicting as well (but in a much different way), and you most likely wouldn't have to take it for years and years like you've taken the other stuff.  There ARE prescription sleep meds out there that will work for some people.  You may just have to try a few (lunesta, ambien, ambienCR, sonata, etc) to figure out which works best for you.  And remember, this is only if the sleep issue becomes a severe problem.  Just please stay away from the ativan.  That would be a poor choice and could very quickly lead you right down the path to another (worse) addiction.  Stay strong!  Keep the questions coming....  Good luck!
Helpful - 0
thanks alot....yea i do have some ambien so that will help i guess...now my buddy told me he could get me suboxone??? can anyone explain wat that is to me... and i actually did get some sleep last niught because of that 20 mg methadone i took...i just really hope that that wont delay the process longer.....and can anyone compare morphine withdrawal to oxy withdrawal, or are they virtually the same? because i went through morphine WD once and that wasssss real badddd too... well thanks allll
Helpful - 0
216878 tn?1196037520
You should begin having the w/d's very soon. They will just be like having the flu. You will have absolutely NO energy.

This usually lasts (The major w/d's) about 4-6 days...Everyone is different!

Give me a minute and i will make a list of a few things that will help you while going through this, ok.

Hopeless
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.