Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Dextroamphetamine (adderall) Taken Partying With Alcohol

Recently I have been taking adderall when I go out and party. I have 20mg pills and I usually take one before dinner before we head to the bars/clubs. Sometimes I take another 20mg while in the club, but that is very rare. The amount of alcohol I am able to consume and continue to function coherently is increased very greatly. Excess drinking is defiantly involved, but I am able to completely function. This is generally a weekend only and social event.

I understand dextroamphetamine is prescribed to patients with add, what side effects and long time problems arise from taking adderall with large amount of alcohol, and not in fact having add?

Some negative side effects that I have noticed is the inability to sleep, I usually stay up for long periods of time and I am unable to rest. The ability to sleep is go great often I only get a few hours of sleep in a 24 or 48 hour period of time. It is not that I don't want to sleep, just I cannot sleep. I lie in bed and my mind is going a million miles per hour.

Also, I have noticed impedance, occasional headaches, loss of appetite, and dry-mouth.  

I am growing a little concerned about possible addiction, because I am completely an anti-drug person; I have only smoked marijuana a few times, and this is the only time I have really abused any drugs, besides alchohol. I don't think that I am currently addicted, as I don't require it, it is just a positive bonus when going out.

The positives for me are, greatly increases the amount of alcohol I am able to drink while staying focused and coherent. I am generally in a friendlier than average mood, and it improves my self-control while partying. In addition, it seems to aid in my memory of words and vocabulary and overall intellectual sharpness, which includes heightened speech and talkativeness. In addition, when I get home from partying often times I will pick up a book, or browse the web and be totally focused even though I just completed a full night of drinking.

So, to recap, I guess I want to know the problems related to abusing adderall with alcohol. I would assume heart problems. Is this an addiction that can become a serious health and mental concern? After all, adderall is prescribed to many teens and young adults on a daily basis, but the difference is that I don
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Taking adderall while drinking is a common thing at college parties.  However, very few people actually know the effects of it outside of the medical profession.  Alcohol is a strong toxin expecially to the liver.  The function of the liver is to clear the blood of such toxins, so when consuming excess amounts of alcohol, you have to understand that the liver is put under a great deal of stress in order to clear the alcohol.  This process takes the oxygen used to make ATP for energy and uses it to make lactic acid while clearing the alcohol.  This is why alcohol is considered a depressant.  Adding adderall to the mix puts the liver under extreme stress as it also wants to clear the adderall.  I would avoid the practice of drinking with adderall because your risk for acute liver failure increases greatly and could possibly lead to death if not treated appropriately.
Helpful - 0
My best friend years ago had a simular problem he loved taking Valium while drinking a lot of Crown Royal.........

One night after closing a local bar he tryed to cross a four lane highway walking home......he was hit by a car doing 60 miles an hour......

They said his body tumbled and rolled for 100 yards.........
Helpful - 0
Hello there fellow San Diegan

Adderal is in the speed family.  I was a speed user many years ago and it was common practice at parties to give a drunk person speed before they could drive cuz it has a way of instantly making one feel sober.   All the symptoms you describe are the same as crystal meth side affects.
You may need to google and research long term affects of using adderal with alcohol, I don't know that.

I do know that alcohol is one of the most widely used and destructive drugs around if it is used in excess.

I guess it depends how often you take the adderal.  Is it a daily basis?

tzt

Helpful - 0
Good morning and welcome to the forum.  I've never used that drug but I'm sure in the next couple of hours someone with some knowledge on that one will answer soon.  I just wanted to welcome you to the forum.  There are alot of supportive people on here with some helpful advice.  Good luck and you are in my thoughts and prayers.  Take care and have a good day, Lil.  :)
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.