Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

pleasure center of brain and effects of abuse on

do addicts really "lose" the pleasure center of the brain and are unable to experience pleasure without opitats after a while?
8 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
182493 tn?1348052915
Not "lose" exactly...I would call it disrupted...Due to the intake of opiates certain parts of our brains including the "feel good" parts are not working properly.. this can be healed it does take time though..
Helpful - 0
am on day one, need helps today
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
What are you coming off of?? For how long and how much?? Are you going cold turkey?/

I want to help if I can...

welcome to the site... my name is Stephanie
Helpful - 0
hi steph, what am i not coming off of, twenty years or more of getting \doing opiates of all kinds and types, lost my 26 yr old son 2 yrs ago this week which compounded my addictions one hundred fold/i miss him so much/i hate my life, the\is constnt cycle of wanting opiates, so tired
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
I am so sorry for your loss... I am sure the grief has helped maintain your addiction.. Now is the time though... Your son would want you to be the best you can be.. and be happy without the drugs pulling you down..
Helpful - 0
yes i know, but it doens't make it any easier to come off of twnety years of constant abuse, have been on and off of methadone for five years, cannot stand the clinic ****, seems 2 b the only choice 4 me, i don'tt know, u know the drill, all of u out there, cannot stand my life, the looking, the money, the doing, the not having, the all of it.  cannot ever seem to stop doing opiates.  was on xanax after my child left me along with the metadone, that was tuff 2 kick, but hen again it was never my drug of choice.  2day is my first day of wanting to really be done with this f'd up thing,,,,,,,it sucs, as u all well know, my head knows what to do, am strong, weal at the same time 2 thiese devel drugs
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
Stick around here and gather strength from others... until you have enough of your own to get you through... 20 years is a long time but people who have come b4 you have recovered.. Have faith that you too can overcome this and go on to live the life you have wanted.. I will be off for a little bit this afternoon.. but if you need anything just post and someone will help..

XOXO
Stephanie
Helpful - 0
hello there,

I am so sorry to hear about your son - and the problem with your addiction.  I was an addict for 10 years - I have been clean for 34 days - minus one day (I took one pill).  This time I actually wanted to get off of the **** rather then just running out or whatever.  You are taking a huge step in the right direction wanting to get clean.  

I went cold turkey - I am not the type of person who can taper.  I took Xanax the first few days and did parts of the Thomas Recipe.  It can be done - you just have to be determined enough to do it.  The support from everyone here was so important.  I have made some wonderful friends and I doubt I could have gotten this far without them.

I am on and off most days if you need anything.

Shel
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.