Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Heroin withdrawal

Hi all,
I stopped using heroin 12 days ago, went through inpatient detox, and haven't used since. The problem is that I'm still severely depressed. The inpatient doctor at the hospital took me off of prozac and put me on cymbalta, so this might be a factor (I'll be talking to my psychiatrist tomorrow), but I was just wondering how long this withdrawal depression lasts?
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
My heroin depression has lasted 3 to 4 months, and even resurfaced over a year.  My experience with cymbalta is that it didn't work following opiate use.  My ex says the same thing.  I had success with low doses of Paxil, but we are all different.. I would suggest to just go through it and not medicate the symptoms, try to excercise (i know that sounds ludacriss, but it worked for me)  stay active as possible and find a support group!  most important.   NA has been my savior, We already have all the odds against us.  An IV drug user has almost no chance of recovery to start with, and you might as well hang it up if your gonna try it alone, the meetings will increase your chances 10 fold.  If you medicate your symptoms you are setting yourself up to use again, because you will eventually either have to increase your dosage or quit all together and then your depressed again and most of us turn to what we know to aleviate those feelings, so I suggest you not medicate the symptoms and know that this is gonna be ruff for a while.  Make sure your docs and psychologist is well versed in addiction, the last thing you need is a doc that fixes everything with a pill, which is what we know so we gravitate toward that.  GOOD LUCK, write me anytime  
Helpful - 0
The depression will pass..
Each day will get better...Your 112 days clean, i agree with ga guy, changing aanti deps so soon after deetox was't the coolest idea..
Make th most of the time with ur psychiatrist..and doctors...so that when u leave the hospital u'll be ready..
The god days will soon surpass the bad...
We ALL use drugs for a reason, maybe its not an obvious reason....but do your best to find out wot the reason was?
You HAVE to be HONEST with yourself otherwise u will relapse...
Good Luck..your out of the trenches, away from the front lines....you must acknowledge UR accomplishmnts..WELL DONE!
Helpful - 0
i've also been taking the ambien i was prescribed, but more often that i should've (like three times a day), just because I couldn't deal with being awake. Now I'm scared i'm addicted to the ambien (30ish pills in the last week and a half). Things don't seem to be getting better.
Helpful - 0
Welcome to the forum.....

Depression is a natural emotion after getting off Heroin why do you need another medication?
Getting on your feet getting back your life will get rid of the depression.......

You have to fight your way out of it.........
Helpful - 0
222369 tn?1274474635
Depression is a symptom for the wd's. Changing antidepressants right before detox couldn't help either. I'd discuss it with your doc, but some depression is just a result of detoxing. I had it and still battle it on day 10. Just know that the good moments will start outnumbering the bad ones more and more as the days progress.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.