Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

how do i quit methadone

i have been taking methadone for appx. 3 months. i started taking vicodin a while back and when the dosage became so high i ended up taking methadone.tonight is the first time i have ever looked up what it is or anything.i had never been a drug user.this all started when i look back one night when i had sprang my ankle playing basketball.my mother gave me a vicodin and i was good.soon after i continued taking them more and more.the thought of my liver and how many pills i now had to take was to much.i took a methadone one day and found my cravings gone for everthing else.i dont drink and was pretty healthy.i am more informed a little now but still have questions.is ok to stop this cold turkey?im not even sure how much i take.it is a pretty big waffer as people call it and it appears to be able to be divided into 4 parts.it is orangy peach and i take one a day.i break it in half cuz of the size.i take it appx at 8pm after i get home from work every night.i have never altered my dosage up or down.should i start taking half for a month and then a quarter or what.the good news i think is i have only been on it for a few months but is my dosage high?please help this is the first time i have ever did a forum talk or whatever this is and i dont get on the cpu that often.anything somebody knows or suggestions would mean alot.i can afford the stuff but it bothers me to feel like i have to take something.how do i quit.i will go cold turkey if i can still function at work and home but maybe it would be better to drop down and give me a better chance to make it.what will i face,i want to be prepared .i think its great they have sites like this! i sweat alot at work is their anything i can eat or drink to help me along with this process.thank you so so much people!
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
MY HUSBAND IS ON METHADON THE LIQUID DOSE EVERYDAY HE GOES TO THE CLINIC TO GET IT AND I REALLY BELIEVE THAT IF YOU WANNA STOP YOU HAVE TO TAPER IT WEEKLY CAUSE MY HUSBAND GETS SICK IF HE DOES'NT HAVE IT AND VERY IRRITADED AND ANNOYED EASILLY I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT DOES TO A PERSON PERSONALLY BUT I KNOW HOW IT MAKES A PERSON ACT AND HOW MEAN AND HATEFUL A PERSON CAN BE IT'S JUST LIKE HEROIN ONLY LEGAL SO I REALLY SUGGEST YOU DO IT WEEKLY CAUSE YOU WILL FEEL IT IF YOU TRY TO STOP ALL AT ONCE MY HUSBAND IS ALSO BRINGING HIS DOSE DOWN AT THE CLINIC BUT THEY WILL ONLY BRING IT DOWN ONCE A WEEK TO MAKE SURE HE CAN STILL FUNCTION WITH EVERYDAY LIFE THATS HOW HIS CLINIC IS DOING HIM SO I THOUGHT I WOULD TRY TO HELP GOOD LUCK
Helpful - 0
Scroll down this page. About 12 posts from the bottom.The post is Methadone
Taper.You can email that lady Rita.Also, I had a friend who took those wafers.
They are 40mg. 10 mg per square.
Helpful - 0
177036 tn?1192286635
Hey, if you are not that deep into pills I suggest you run from it like your life depends on it because it does... taper, CT, Get to detox, get to a doc but whatever you do GET OFF!!!  I mean this from the bottom of my heart!
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
i would highly suggest not stopping cold turkey... you should figure out how much you take.. can you do a search for what the pill looks like on drugs.com  that way you would at least know your dosage...
methodone WD;s can be brutal and last for weeks sometimes... tapering is a good idea if you want to be able to function during detox.. even then you may need a few days off to get it out of your system entirely..
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.