Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

withdrawal from IV drugs

hi everyone,
some of you may have seen my recent post (addiction of a loved one: contin, adderall and more)...

i ran into my fiance yesterday (he asked for 1 week away from me) and it was because i was just returning the keys to his brother's car. he had never told me he would be home (again just lying a lot to me) and when i saw him, he was curled up in a ball with a blanket over him. i said hi and he said hi back. he said he caught the flu from his friend (i have to tell you, i'm so sure this is a lie) and because i knew he wanted 1 week away from me to "sort stuff out," i decided to leave.

he knew my little siter was with me (visiting from the west coast) and he was so out of it to even think to say hi which was a little disappointing but i'm trying to figure out if he's possibly trying to go through withdrawal or is still on it?

can anyone offer any feedback/information?

thank you
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hunny, I'm an addict n have spent those weeks curled up in bed wanting to die but the minute I get the money I'm back doing the same thing. This is the case for 90% of opiate addicts. Without inpatient intensive treatment relapse is almost guaranteed. It's ruined everything n most of my relationships n I've done awful things to people I love n who love me. Watch your money n valuables. If He works n gas no money... Ding ding ding, long trips to bathroom , long shopping trips with no groceries, burned spoons n qtips of cotton balls laying around r huge signs. Jul
Helpful - 0
Hi, I just went back and read your previous post and I felt the need to reply again. As I said before, I do believe that it's withdrawls and to not take it personally...ok...with that said....I don't want to scare you but I think you've got a major problem on your hands. If your BF is injecting himself then his drug problems more than likely have progressed to the point that he is going to need intervention. Besides that he is lying and being manipulative. The mere fact that he still won't come clean with you about this is some serious *red flags* !! The ONLY person that can get an addict clean is the addict themselves and all the begging, pleading and crying is not going to get him clean.

I know from what you stated that he needs a week...that's good, he's trying...what is bad is that he won't tell you WHY he needs this week. I believe that in order for any of us to recover we need to be totally honest with ourselves and the people we love and it seems to me he hasn't reached that point yet. Not good.

I also wanted to let you know that I speak from experience from BOTH sides...I am an addict...prescription meds (still struggling..tell more later), cocaine and crack cocaine. I was able to quit using coke in any form by going to an inpatient rehab. However, the opiates are kick ass!! Once they get a hold of you you are literally in a battle for your life.

I also have a BF that is an alcoholic and he smokes crack...I quit using coke 6 months into our relationship and I have been on a roller coaster ride for the last 2 1/2 yrs. because of his struggles with the drug. Now, my BF is a great guy, I know, I know...he really is and that's why I am still around (co-dependent anyone?). It has been only in the last 2 months that I can say that we are having a normal relationship and that's because he went to detox.

The reason he went to detox is because his life was spinning so out of control and the last straw was when he became violent with me because he was high and I caught him. He was arrested and MY and HIS FAMILY'S conditions were that he was gonna be on his own if he didn't get help and we meant it!!

2 months later and our relationship is SLOWLY healing. The problem is he has lied so much and even though he is doing everything right, I still doubt him...right or wrong this is what it is. The reason why I am telling you all of this is because you need to know what your future MIGHT hold (everyone is diff).

My advice to you is let him have his week...see what happens and if YOU don't feel comfortable or he dosen't start being honest with you then YOU have some decisions to make. I know how hard it can be to let go but please don't let him ruin your life in the process. Quitting drugs can be done but HE  has to want it...good luck to you sweetie.

Helpful - 0
i am very sure he wanted the week for him to go through the w/d's without you seeing him...i am not saying to beleive everything he says,  i understand alot about trust and lies...i have a hard time trusting people and don't have time for lies..But then i lie now about my pills....i really would give him the week..then go sit with him and tell him to be honest with you about everything, marks on arms everything...He will need your support..
i am sure he is  a good guy otherwise you would not be marrying him..he may need you more then you think..
BUT tell him no more lies..
good luck..
R2R
Helpful - 0
221016 tn?1196973461
It sounds like withdrawal and the worst will be 5-7 day. Support him and realize he is doing this for his future. I am hoping that everything works out for you.

Bless,
Tim
Helpful - 0
Here he can be honest and unknown ,no judgement . we are all in this fight together.  BUT only if he is ready do admit the firt step, he has a problem.
good luck to you but if he does not want help and has to pick between the drug or you guess who wins EVERY time.

lol
jill
Helpful - 0
If he asks to be alone, try to understand that this is one of the most difficult things to go through physically.  I know all I want to do is cover up, try to knock myself out and sleep (yeah right)  It is a week of solid hell, I will avoid everyone I care about during these times.  all motivation and energy is gone, on top of fever, diarhea, vomiting and the chills, not to mention for a lot of us the restless legs and the body aches all over.  I can easily see why people want to die when they are withdrawing, I am currently at school, this is my third day of kicking heroin.  I have to ride my bike to school (15 miles) and to work (8 miles)  I just want to die...this is why it is so hard to stay clean, because I know if I just got a hit I would be restored my energy, only for a few hours, but I could still stand to peddle to school and pay attention in class

Truly Hurting
Airquest57
Helpful - 0
Sounds to me like withdrawl. Please don't take the fact that he needs a week alone to " sort things out " personally, he probably dosen't want you to see him that way and sometimes people need to go it alone. Good luck to you all.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.