Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
192332 tn?1189755828

The worst part of being clean for me.

I was reading a post below.A part of it questions the fact of being happy w/o the drug after quitting.I think we have to re learn how to enjoy life again.I quit drinking several times in my life.everything i did revolved around alcohol.especially fishing.i still can't imagine fishing w/o a beer in my hand.therefore i don't fish much anymore.
  Now i am getting clean from my lil pills and trying to figure out what the he11 am i going to do for fun.WEIRD HUH?I can beat these pills but now i have to learn how to live again.sometimes i think I'm crazy.I don't know.What do you people think?I could use some input.Bruce
9 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
im certain if you stay clean you will be able to enjoy fishing again and without the beer, in fact, you will probably enjoy it more.

your mind is trying to convince you to use something, stay strong, stay clean and all things will get better.

ive done a lot more clean than i ever did using.

life is much better clean, it just takes time to learn how to do it without the drugs.

and our minds can be our worst enemy.

best defence is to get, out of our mind, go do something....anything :)

got a bike, a dog, a movie theatre, a coffe shop, a park, a friend, a job, a local pool, a gym ?

anything but sit still with our mind.....
Helpful - 0
I feel the same way right now.  I just keep reminding myself that "this too shall pass."  It's a beautiful day here on Long Island and I won't even be able to enjoy it as I am in day 3 of my detox and feel horrible.  Have a bad headache that won't go away and RLS and creepy, crawly feeling all over.  I just sneezed like 20 times in a row.  

I wonder how will I even have sex again without being on the pills.  They were my lover, my best friend, my life line.  Then they became my worse enemy.  

I am so glad that I found this forum because it helps me so much and I don't feel so all alone.  What a wonderful way to help each other through the hardest thing they ever had to do...detox.
Helpful - 0
All true, I was lost myself.......
I had to cut off all my friends the ones that were not in jail or dead anyway.....

Making new friends and finding things to do is very different,,,,I guess it must feel like after being married 30 years getting divorced then wondering how the hell do you get back into the game.......

Lonliness can be a trigger, depression etc.........
N/A has a lot of stuff going these days its even sometimes nice to meet someone who has shared your experiences.....you don't have to lie to them because you can be honest they will understand and won't judge you.....

In the meantime there are some great drug counslors out there that understand and can help you get through these tough times......

Give it time it took years to screw your self up don't expect everything to be good right away..........
Helpful - 0
192332 tn?1189755828
You are right.it did take years.it will take years to fix this.26 years of damage to fix.WOW!
Helpful - 0
I feel the same way right now.  I just keep reminding myself that "this too shall pass."  It's a beautiful day here on Long Island and I won't even be able to enjoy it as I am in day 3 of my detox and feel horrible.  Have a bad headache that won't go away and RLS and creepy, crawly feeling all over.  I just sneezed like 20 times in a row.  

I wonder how will I even have sex again without being on the pills.  They were my lover, my best friend, my life line.  Then they became my worse enemy.  

I am so glad that I found this forum because it helps me so much and I don't feel so all alone.  What a wonderful way to help each other through the hardest thing they ever had to do...detox.
Helpful - 0
you're not being selfish buddy.  and this sounds perfectly normal...

give it time, my friend.  you will find yourself.  it will just take a little time, that's all.  and the happiness you will feel in even the tiniest of moments will be so much more joyful, so much more beautiful and meaningful, with a clear head.

you have to trust me on this.  give yourself a break kiddo, and give yourself a little time. and know that you will find yourself again, what makes you happy, and that things will soon be good, and true, and real.... and you WILL be happy.

with luv...
:)
mj
Helpful - 0
you're not being selfish buddy.  and this sounds perfectly normal...

give it time, my friend.  you will find yourself.  it will just take a little time, that's all.  and the happiness you will feel in even the tiniest of moments will be so much more joyful, so much more beautiful and meaningful, with a clear head.

you have to trust me on this.  give yourself a break kiddo, and give yourself a little time. and know that you will find yourself again, what makes you happy, and that things will soon be good, and true, and real.... and you WILL be happy.

with luv...
:)
mj
Helpful - 0
192332 tn?1189755828
That makes sense.I think i will help others.it's not about me.Thanks for reminding me.I am so selfish sometimes.Bruce
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
Get a new hobby... start reading stuff you didn't think you would be interested.. Go out and find what ever it is.. There is no right answer.. as long as it doesn't involve a pharmaceutical illegal drug or alcohol..
Get into meetings.. throw yourself in.. I know the first time I got clean my life outside of work involved meetings, going into the ghetto and holding meetings at half way houses, making coffee before meetings, giving rides to people who couldn't drive to meetings.. then when I started working at the rehab I through myself into that.. so then it was work and free time..At one time i was working at the rehab, going to hair school, going to meetings.. I had two days off a month.. and I loved every minute of it.. Being busy helping others.. doing something for myself..
You just have to search it out and find it..
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.