Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Getting off vicodin - FOR GOOD

I have heard pros and cons about tapering instead of going cold turkey.  I have done CT in the past and thought I was going to die.  In my past I have taken 100 vic in a 24 hr period and done God knows how many oxys a day.  I decided to try to taper this time.  Yesterday I was down to 2 1/2 5/500 vics and today it will be 1 1/2.  I have been having depression, etc, but have been handling it.

I am serious about this and this is MY TIME to quit.  Has anyone had a better experience tapering?  I know it's hard with the self control and luckily I have my husband helping.  I have 180 ES vics in the house and haven't touched them.  I guess I'm kind of "testing myself" and trying to make myself strong by having them right there.  Maybe not a good idea, but I figure if I can do it with them in the house I can get through anything without these pills.

So does tapering really help in the end?

Thanks,
Jen

7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
If you don't think it through so much and agonize about it, it is much easier. I quit cold turkey after 10 years and not oe symptom.  Just do it!  And good luck.
Helpful - 0
Well just found this site so i figured id tell my story...the basic one from what it seems.had back problems asked my doctor for something for the pain and here we are 10-12 vicodins a day the past yr....luckily i have a supportive family to help as i am a singlr father of 3 minor children and if anyone had kids i try to think of them alot.....do it for yourself first but my kids im always thinking of too.....well im only on day 3 of cold turkey but today is alot better than yesterday.........just take it 1 day at a time as the saying goes..ive been going to aa meetings which has been helping     well wish me luck......i know im gonna win.......kinz in Massachuttes
Helpful - 0
177036 tn?1192286635
I liked the way RCS put it... if I had 180 pills, I wouldn't be detoxing.  Also I agree with her that CT is easier in the LONG run.... I'm still using.. suboxone, which is replacement therapy,,,, or is IT drug company enrichment?  Do please get the ativan,,, give those to hubby ....and get clonidine.. you can keep those, heehee. best to you and please post your successes and help the newcomers along the way.
fish
Helpful - 0
I am going cold turkey day 3 for me and I could never taper off.  If I had 180 es pills I would not be detoxing.  Cold turkey works the best for me and is the easiest in the long run.

Right now I am pretty miserable but it will pass.  Good luck to you.
Helpful - 0
198154 tn?1337787265
My first day was the worst.

I'm only on day 2  and really sick but 10x better than yesterday
Helpful - 0
omg, I know exactly what you mean about it being Christmas time when you pick up your Rx.  i would be driving there with a smile on my face just KNOWING i was going to get my fix.  i would run to the car, barely able to wait to even get inside the car to open the bottle and eat a handful.  then when they were gone - life was HORRIBLE.  nothing mattered.  i was miserable.  the worst cycle to keep going through.  over and over and over.  

i think it's probably a good idea to give them to hubby to hold.  i don't really need any extra stressers right now.  Lord knows i have enough.
Helpful - 0
177036 tn?1192286635
Hi Jen, yes on the taper if you can do it.  I was one of the people that had to go to formal detox.  If I had 180 pills, I would always, "put off" the taper until ~~~ of course it was too late!  I would go and get my script and feel like it was christmas time for a couple of days and then... well you might know the rest... Maybe you could give the pills to your husband and forget the test?  Just a suggestion... maybe with a written contract?  I dunno!  I just know I would like you to win.. below I have saved in Word and will paste it for you in hope you can get something out of it.

It
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.