Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

An additional note on medically prescribed and indicated benzo dependency

Up early as happens. Again, words cannot explain my gladness that I have found acceptance and support here...it's just that my Dr and staff nurse wants to know what I'm doing on a drug addiction forum on the Internet. The fact is I don't meet the World Health Organizations definition for addiction. I do , however, fit into the category of medical dependence for life, at a sane dosage, to manage my mental disorder.
They don't know about the love and real knowledge people here have about withdrawls in general and feeling terrible during them. It is entirely possible that I am on hi dose klonopin only 4=6 weeks while cutting to 2mg xanax at bedtime, then cutting back at 2mg every 10 days from 12 mg day back down to 2-4mg a day. The longer half life suits me better and the initial high dose will allow me to cut significantly. But my Dr states that in a study by Upjohn, the manufacturer of xanax, 30% of patients receiving long term high dose therapy of xanax were unable to taper to zero dose. This is published, medical fact and Dr's KNOW this. Add that to the much more sane dosage level (still high but sane) and access to the best medical treatments available ensure that I'll be maintained when my doc retires in a few years. He's treated me since 1979.Anyway, good to let you know I'm alive and well.    Steve
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi again...ceratainly didn't mean to knock addiction forums...NOT my words I assure you!! My thinking is that I will only go to 8mg klonopin while reducing even slower, like 1mg every 10 days, to 2mg xanax at bedtime and hold. Then, cut in a month or so down to 4mg a day of klonopin and hold. Such regimens are sane and indicated in many complex bipolar disorder accompanied by long history of temporary psychotic episodes.
I have managed to achieve quite a bit for a mentally disabled citizen. Before the atypical antipsychotics, like Clozaril 1n 1990, I was in the psych unit once or twice a year for 12 years since first getting sick in 1978, Unfortunately I developed a life threatening bone marrow suppression causing a drop in my white cell count as well as red cell count. We stopped immediately and started Geodon. All outpatient. Had and continue to have awful neuroleptic PAWS from being on the most sedating antipsychotic for 12 or so years. Went through ALOT of insomnia due to Clozaril discontinuation, but weekly blood draw is required for this most risky of meds in it's class. At least I never developed diabetes and metabolic syndrome. Geodon is the only of the newer drus not associated with these negative phenomena, but is potentially cardiotoxic. It is a fact I must live with until "Next Generation" antipsychotics like asenapine are FDA approved which wont be for a couple years yet.
. Even then, any competent MD would wait at least a year or more after it's introduction before switching, to observe patient response and side effects. Yes, Geodon has an uncomfortable though not deadly withdrawl syndrome like many SSRIs. I'll worry about that in 2 to 3 years. First, let's cut dose and remain stable.On benzos I mean.
So enough said on my end friends...hope I can find continued acceptance here in the future.BTW I am happily married and live a strong religious life. I'm definately NOT looking for on line love per se, as I know was an issue that lead to one forum consuming battle when I first came around. OK enough out of me.

Thanks again,   Steve
Helpful - 0
have you tried amino acids at all?

they are widely accepted now to help with many issues of the mind.
Helpful - 0
221016 tn?1196973461
I was so pleased to read your post. You are one of the family here and keep on posting. I think you offer so much to others that find themselves in the world of prescribed meds. I hope all is well today!

God Bless,
Tim
Helpful - 0
225213 tn?1213734690
Thanks for the informational post.  I agree with what Tim said.  You are part of the family here and not everyone here is an addict.  You are alwasy welcome here, Steve and I am so glad you are getting the help you need.

Have a great day and if your doc asks why you come to this forum just tell him that you have friends who are supportive here.

tzt
Helpful - 0
I wanted to let you know how happy I am to see you again.  You do not need to apologize for anything - I am just glad you are ok.  We were very worried about you - despite the horrendous situation that you were going through - you brought everyone on the board together.  You reminded me why we are here - to help one another.  I wish you all the best and you are in my prayers.

luv,

shel
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.