Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

what should I do

I had a lumpectomy jun 21 for DCIS ( high grade)they said it had clean margins but when I had follow up mamog. July 9, they saw residule microcalcifications.  Aug 1, another lumpectomy, nurse called yesterday and said the lab is still looking at tissues that the margin was clean but very close.  They will call back  Tues and tell me if another surgery is necessary.  The Dr. at the Breast Cntr put 2 wires in my breast before the surgery 'to make sure everything was removed this time'.  I really like my surgeon and believe she's good but can't understand why the 3rd surgery may be necessary if everyone is doing their job right.   Have been told I'm not a good candidate for reconstruction but very seriously considering mastectomy.  Especially since I wouldn't have to have any radiation(which scares me).  I think I need a second opinion but don't know where to go since I thought I was seeing the best around here. Thank you.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Dear Ivysgirl:  The problem with breast tumors, especially things like DCIS, is that they don't necessarily look like tumors.  In other words, when a surgeon is inside the breast, there may be nothing that looks "suspicious" other than the wires.  These DCIS cells may extend beyond the area of the wire and no one would necessarily see it with the naked eye.  Situations like yours is a down side of lumpectomies.  Reconstruction can be done two ways.  One way is to take tissue (muscle) from the abdomen and tunnel it up to make a breast shape.  This usually cannot be done if a person has had abdominal surgery before.  The other reconstruction technique is to use a tissue expander and an implant.  This is usually an option for people who cannot have the other procedure.  It never hurts to get a second opinion and if you feel uncomfortable, you should do this.
Helpful - 0
I do not know what the initials stand for in your letter.  Please write and tell me. ( DCIS)  

I had an aggresive grade 3 lobular cancer(also in 14 of 15 removed nodes)  in one breast that came very quickly, and it was hard to find the margins for it, so I had the mastectomy.  I am glad I had it.  Of course I am probably older than you.  I am 69, and just glad to get rid of the cancer. A younger person would probably be interested in retaining a better breast look.  Me,  I do not care. Can't tell the difference when I have my clothes on anyway! Best Wishes to you.  Please post what DCIS stands for.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breast Cancer Forum

Popular Resources
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.