Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Pathology Report Questions

Thank you for providing this service, it is a lifeline for many of us. Background: biopsy dx invasive ductal, Modified Bloom/Richardson 2/3. Mitotic activity infrequent, minimal tubule formation, er-/pr-/her2-, 1.3-1.0-1.4 cm by ultrasound. Tx A/C complete July 18th, Surgery Aug 15th bilateral mast. Pathology: The mastectomy was divided into two sections the first called: Lymph nodes, thoracodorsal nerve of right axilla, showed 3 nodes were taken all benign. The second section was referred to as: Right breast and axillary node, it showed
Small focus of residule invasive ductal carcinoma and DCIS measuring 0.4 cm in diameter, grade 3/3 Bloom Richardson, Nuclear Grade 3/3, prominent lymphoid reaction to tumour present,nearest resection margin (posterior) is clear. Sections confirm seven lymph nodes, on of these show the presence of a micrometastasis.

I am now being treated with taxotere for 4 rounds. I am 33 years old.

Questions:
1)What is a micrometastasis? Is it some cells, is it a small tumour? Can you tell by reading this report where the lymph node was located. Is there a chance that this metastasis is dead?

2)Is there any indication of vascular invasion?  

3)With the over all reduction in tumour size from 1.4 cm to 0.4 cm, would you consider this successful treatment?

Any other information would be appreciated. I am scared. Thank you for your time.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Dear Ctina:  1.  Micrometastasis means that there are cancer cells that are microscopic within the specimen - not generally a tumor.  Cannot tell from this report where the node was.  If there was micrometastasis, one would assume the cells were alive.

2.  Cannot tell from this report if there was vascular invasion.

3.  I would consider this successful treatment but as you are experiencing additional treatment was needed.
Helpful - 0
PS. Only one axillary node showed presence of a micrometastasis.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breast Cancer Forum

Popular Resources
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.