Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Interpreting Mammo

Results from my diagnostic mammo and ultrasound came back and I consider them to be favorable. Mammo reads: "Test confirms the presence of multiple calcifications in the lower inner quadrant of the left breast. The calcifications are loosely clustered (1 cm) and have a benign radiographic appearance. Several of the calcifications have lucent centers. The soft oval tissue mass identified on the outside left mammogram is not confirmed on the spot magnification views. Six month follow up with magnification recommened. Findings are consistent with ACR category P (probable benign) mammogram, BI-RADS category 3." Original baseline mammo said 1 cm cluster of microcalcifications in association with an oval density.

Ultrasound results: "Ultrasound of the left breat demonstrates no cystic or solid mass. Six month left mammo with spot magnification views recommended." Findings are consistent with ACR category P (probable benign) mammogram, BI-RADS category 3.

My OBGYN is sending me to a breast surgeon to review the films and I assume to just confirm the findings since there does seem to be a cluster appearance that we might need to keep track of. Why else and what questions should I ask? My mother has fibrocystic disease with calcifications, but no breast cancer in our family. Sorry for the long note ...thank you
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A related discussion, Help with interpretation of mammogram was started.
Helpful - 0
Dear gayegjones,   The radiologist is interpreting this mammogram as a probably benign finding by giving it a BI-RADS rating of 3.  Recommendations in this category are generally short-term follow-up to establish stability
of the finding.  Follow up with a breast surgeon to evaluate the mammograms, comparing this to baseline and give a second opinion based on all the testing and physical exam, makes sense.  You would want to discuss the findings with the breast surgeon, as well as their recommended follow-up for your individual situation.
Helpful - 0
Everyone wants to err on the side of caution with breast issues. When calcifications have lucent centers, it means they are most certainly little calcified cysts, and harmless. To get a six-month followup is being very cautious; likewise, getting a surgeon's opinion. Gyn's often like to let a surgeon be the one to have the last word. It's good to have doctors that are very cautious. It also sounds like your mammogram and ultrasound have made it very clear that cancer is as well-ruled out as it can be short of a biopsy.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breast Cancer Forum

Popular Resources
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.