Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Complex Cyst and Fibroglandular Tissue

I had a mammogram and ultrasound 3 months ago that came back as Probable Benign Complex Cyst in Left Breast and had to have follow up recently which came back as demonstrates fibroglandular tissue and study is not significantly changed since December's test.  The Doctor ordered the Ultrasound and Mammogram because I was having pain in my right and he had felt a lump in the right.  The doctor did not find anything in the left.  The first test assessment categorie is Right 1 and Left 3, the second test only list Right 1.  I really feel the last test may not have been read completely, due to the fact that I had the test on Friday and got the result card in the mail on Monday. The December test took over a week to get the results. I am concerned and would like to know if I need a second opinion or is this something to be concerned about? I am 32 years old, and I have an Aunt who had Breast Cancer.  
With the study saying not significantly changed, does this mean it has changed some?  I am very big breast, (DDD).
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I'm concerned with a section on my mammogram.  Below is the exact section and wording:

FINDINGS:
There is dense fibroglandular tissue bilaterally.  Focal areas of asymmetry are noted in the inner right breast and upper left breast.

THE ABOVE IS A 2003 exam results,  2004 exam results returned normal, 2005 exam I'm due to take this summer

I INSISTED THEY DO A DIAGNOSTIC BREAST EXAM AND I BELIEVE I MADE THE EXAMINER MORE NERVOUS THAN I WAS. I am just so frightened that I may get the horrible disease of breast cancer one day.  I lost my Mother (colon cancer) 1996, Father (lung cancer) 1986, Grandmother 1955 (stomach cancer), Uncle (stomach cancer)1985, Uncle number 2 (carcinoma of the skin) 1996 and I just get paranoid walking past a hospital now.

SHOULD I BE CONCERNED?  I have been reading stories on that word "FIBROGLANDULAR" and each and EVERY story CONNECTS it to the early ages of cancer.  I recently turned 47 and I have not gone through menopause.

I just browsed the on-line American Journal of Roentgenology about "Lobular carcinoma in siti of the breast: clinical, pathologic, and mammographic features by BJ Beute, L Kalisher and RV Hutter at the Department of Radiology, St.Barnabas' Medical Center, Livingston, NJ  07039.

THE LAST SENTENCE OF THIS ARTICLE STATES (and frightens me more) that:  "large amounts of fibroglandular density postmenopausally supports the concepts that mammographically dense breasts are a marker for increased cancer risk in women 50 years and old and older.
Helpful - 1
A related discussion, Fibroglandular breast tissue was started.
Helpful - 0
A related discussion, help with mammography results was started.
Helpful - 0
A related discussion, Fibo Glandular was started.
Helpful - 0
Dear worried2much:  A BIRAD score of 1 indicates normal breast
tissue.  A BIRAD score of 3 indicates a radiologic abnormality which has a 2-4% chance of being malignant and requires short term follow-up.  Since the report you received is unclear to you, the best way to get clarification is to contact your doctor.  Then he/she will be better able to make a future
recommendation.  Of course, if you are concerned, a second opinion is always an option.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breast Cancer Forum

Popular Resources
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.