Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Calcifications in both breasts

I'm 42, I had a screening Mammo on Dec.28th, was examined by a Nurse - no lumps found, all looked good. I got the shock of my life when they called me back last week as they found "calcifications in both breasts" and want me to go back for Mag views at the beginning of February.
Scary stuff to say the least, but even moreso is the fact they told me that I would have Mag views done and THEN they've booked me in for an appt. with a Surgeon right after and don't book anything for the rest of the day as I might be there awhile (!) I have NO history of BC in the family and this was only a regular Mammo for screening as I had no specific complaints and have never found a lump.
This is at an fine Breast Clinic in Toronto - could this be regular protocol: to book time /w a Surgeon after the Mag views are done, just in case? I'm really trying NOT to panic and pray to God I'm on the right side of the statistics. I have 2 young children to raise and dying from cancer is not an option.
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi There, I had a stereotactic biopsy in November, The dx was DCIS and had surgery last week to remove the very small cluster that had formed under my nipple.
It took about one hour from start to finish and it was performed under local anaesthetic. I returned home right after.
I am  waiting for the results of the lumpectomy. My question is if I have already been diagnosed with DCIS than what am I waiting for now. I am sure I have been told but I am still scared. I do know that I have to have radiation for three weeks. From what I am reading this is standard procedure. I am in Montreal and And I am finding that the wait time is long to get on with it. My appointment is February 14th for my checkup.
One more question,when is the right time to start radiation??
Is there a time frame. Too many questions perhaps but i worked in the operating room as a professional for many years and I guess professionals know to much. Thanks for listening, and helping. This is a great site.
Helpful - 0
I had a mammogram in dec 05, This was suggested to do before I had my breast implants done later that month. One week after surgery I recieved my letter about abnormalties in my left breast. I had a mammogram 5 years ago, got the same letter and had a cist checked and it was all clear. Since its only been three weeks now since my surgery. I had my docter schedule me for a ultrasound. The ultasound tech. ask me if she could have the doctor on call come in to check a few things that she saw? Ok now Im a little scared. After what seemed to be a careful check of all kinds of cists in my breast he seemed to be concerned about me getting another mammogram. He said i had calcifcation that should be cheked further. I know that you can still get mammograms with implants but can they get the picture of everything they need to see? My implants are gel cohesive aka(gummy bears) and are above the muscle.
Helpful - 0
Thanks for the quick response. It is very difficult not to start thinking WAY too much about this and I appreciate the feedback.

After a week of obsessing about the unknown with no information (bad idea...), I've decided that it is what it is, no amount of worrying will change the outcome. I will know more after my appt. and am glad I am at such a great Breast Clinic. Wish me luck, I'm going to need it either way!

Helpful - 0
Calcification on x-ray is a relatively non-specific finding.  Most breast calcifications seen on mammogram are not related to cancer.  However, in those with breast cancer, these small calcifications can be a good way to catch it early.

You should not be to worried about your procedure.  It is protocol to obtain a biopsy specimen with any suspicious finding.  Your appointment with the surgeon is most likely to obtain a biopsy either thru a FNA (fine needle biopsy which is just like inserting a syringe and withdrawing fluid) or a stereotactic biopsy which would involve actually taking a small piece of breast tissue.

Either technique will not leave you with any noticible deformity.  The specimens will then be used to determine if the calcifications represent a malignant process.

You must realize that these clinics are famous for having a high success rate in treating breast cancer because they jump on everything even slightly suspicious and thus can catch cancers early.  Dont misunderstand this as a likelihood that you have cancer.  You cannot diagnose anything with anytype of x-ray.

Please feel free to ask any other questions you might have.

-Dr. J
Helpful - 0
Dear Hope2BLucky:   Microcalcifications are small calcium deposits found within the breast tissue and these occur normally. There are different types of microcalcifications, and based on their pattern on the mammogram it gives the radiologist clues as to their cause. For instance, microcalcifications that are more scattered are probably due to a benign (non-cancerous) cause, a "cluster" of microcalcifications may increase concern that there may be an underlying abnormality. This could be many things but generally requires further investigation. Most of the time, these turn out to be benign.  It may be routine for your center to have a surgical appointment available so that if the mammogram suggests that additional investigation is needed, you may be able to be evaluated that day.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breast Cancer Forum

Popular Resources
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.