Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Breast Mastectomy Recovery after six weeks.

I am six weeks past a right Breast Mastectomy. The Surgeon said at my visit yesterday. Iam completely healed.  I still have pain under my arm and across my chest.  He said this is caused by the healing. I wonder how long this pain will last.

Thanks
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I too have the exact same thing as you.  I feel the underarm numbness/pain and tightness across the left breast area where I had a mastectomy.  I've read, and asked my surgeon and my oncologist about it and spoke with support group participants too.  They all say it is normal, and the underarm numbness/pain will not go away soon.  In fact, it will be a long time.  All seem to say it was nerve endings that were cut and what will happen is that we will get used to that feeling.

I hope you are progressing well.
Helpful - 0
Ask your doctor if you can be referred to Reach to Recovery.  They can instruct you in simple exerices and offer to support from a woman who has gone through this before.  This is sponsored by the Amereican Cancer Society but requires approval of the doctor before they can see you.
Helpful - 0
Dear Happy4825:  Pain and discomfort following surgery is very variable and depends in part on each individual woman.  As tissue heals, scar tissue can form and this can be very stiff and painful.  You might ask your doctor when you can start exercising as this sometimes help.  His office staff may be able to provide you with some specific exercises to help with the pain.  
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breast Cancer Forum

Popular Resources
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.