Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Fibroglandular Tissue on Mammogram / U/S

40YO W/F, No Maternal Fam Hx of Breast Cancer, Unknown Hx on Paternal side, Surgical Menopause/LAVH 2 years ago, use Vivelle Dot, no common risk factors other than overweight and starting menstruation at 10yo. Recently had annual exam w/GYN.  Although I have always in past had small "lumps and bumps" in my breasts he could tell by palpating them that they were normal.  This time he was very concerned when he felt a lump (I also recently noticed).  It's at 12:00 , very firm and immovable.  It is more long than wide - If I lay my fingers over it I can clearly feel it for 3 fingers. Feels like it starts in the flat part of chest and gradually gets more noticeable as it extends into fatty part of breast where it ends feeling "rounded" when you feel it on the end.  

Diag Mammo (supplemented by marker and spot compress) and Ultrasound came out normal - "...average tissue density.  Minimal benign calcif...No discrete abnormality seen...Normal fibroglandular tissue echogenicity throughout right breast, (only right was U/S), specifically, no sonographic abnormality is appreciated at the 12 o'clock region... Impression: Benign findings, negative.

I asked Gyn if he felt further investigation was warranted and he says he's very reassured by report and for me to just watch it, come back if it grows or new lumps, otherwise return in a year.  I thought anytime there was a lump that was not a cyst they would biopsy it, but Gyn says since US and Mammo both are neg that it is not neccessary.  I trust Doc, but am a worry-wart, (I admit it!). Is just "watching it" normal protocol?
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Dear matrixmom:  Whether or not to biopsy a lump depends upon the index of suspicion.  The clinical examination, mammogram, and ultrasound are all pieces of information that help to increase or decrease the index of suspicion. "Watching" often involves the physician seeing the patient back to be certain there is no progression of the findings. If you are concerned, you might consider seeing a breast surgeon for a second opinion regarding biopsy.  Your comfort with the plan is also important.
Helpful - 1
... To clarify my above post... The GYN did not request to see me after U/S and Mammogram, rather when I received the results from his nurse on phone I requested an appointment to ask him some questions, but his schedule is pretty booked so I asked nurse to ask him if he thought it required further investigation, so she asked him and phoned me back letting me know he was very reassured and wanted me to just watch it, perform monthly BSE, report back if anything new and otherwise return in a year.  I then went and picked up a copy of the radiologist's report which said basically what I posted above, and "Overall no imaging findings of concern for malignancy are detected."
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breast Cancer Forum

Popular Resources
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.