Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Calcification and breast cancer risk

My recent mammogram indicates:A group of few newly developed calcifications is seen in the lower outer quadrant of the left breast which probably represent adenosic calcifications
However a follow up mammogram is recommended after 6 months to ensure stability
No spiculated lesions,vascular or skin changes are demonstrated.

I am very worried: what are my risks of having breast cancer and in case I have some malignancy  do you think I am still at a very early stage
43 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A related discussion, confused was started.
Helpful - 0
A related discussion, scared-have to have another biopsy was started.
Helpful - 0
I am so sorry about your news.  I definitely agree with the mastectomy.  Get rid of it for good.  May God bless you.
Helpful - 0
It sounds like a lot of information and big decisions to make in a short amount of time. But, I'm sure you want to just get it done at this point and move on. What would we do without the foundation of our faith in God and prayers of our friends?
Helpful - 0
Well, another sentence of waiting!  The waiting is what is so bad...so drawn out.  I went to my surgeon this am.  He called and got me in with a plastic surgeon.  I went over there and consulted with him.  Now I have to go back to my surgeon's office next Tuesday afternoon and then back over to the plastic surgeon's office.  But I will be seeing the person who sets up the surgeries that day also.  So hopefully this will be over in a couple of weeks.  It makes you just want it to END!  My emotions have been a yo yo.  My husbands' job sent him out of town this morning so I went it alone.  I had a couple of friends who offered to go but I told them the Lord was with me and I would be fine.  And I was, except when I got home...I kind of went down.  I have to decide between now and next Tuesday whether I want the Tran Flap or the implant.  This will be done at the same time as my surgery.  So if I do the tran flap this part of the surgery will last 4-6 hrs.  However, if I do the implant, they will put in the extender with saline solution and I will have to have them keep adding the solution every so many days, then will have to go back and have more outpatient surgery...so I think I would rather do the Tran flap and be done with it.
Just keep uplifting us in your prayers.  It's really like it is a nightmare, happening to somebody else other that you.  I also stay so sleepy.  When I stress out that is what happens, I just want to sleep.  That's the way I was when my mother was dying.  I just wanted to sleep all the time.
Thanks for your support.
Helpful - 0
After reading posts at this sight for several months, I think that I would chosen a masectomy in your situation, too. Wondering if cancer will be found again, and just not knowing is so difficult. Of course, a masectomy is not easy, either, but hopefully it will give you the reassurance you are looking for. Yes, I will continue to keep you in my prayers.
Helpful - 0
127512 tn?1193742216
I am so sorry you are having to go through this. It will be a very scary journey but you can do this. I had what they thought was DCIS but after a right masectomy (August 25th) they found invasive cancer. Lots of women have this to happen to them and were glad they had masectomies because otherwise it would not have been found because of their very  dense breast. Not trying to scare you. It sounds like you caught it very early. If you want to talk more go to breastcancer.org and look for bonnienclyde there. Type in my name under the search, click on bonnienclyde and send me a personal PM. This is also a wonderful site for breast cancer information. You will be in my thoughts.
Helpful - 0
127512 tn?1193742216
I am so sorry you are having to go through this. It will be a very scary journey but you can do this. I had what they thought was DCIS but after a right masectomy (August 25th) they found invasive cancer. Lots of women have this to happen to them and were glad they had masectomies because otherwise it would not have been found because of their very  dense breast. Not trying to scare you. It sounds like you caught it very early. If you want to talk more go to breastcancer.org and look for bonnienclyde there. Type in my name under the search, click on bonnienclyde and send me a personal PM. This is also a wonderful site for breast cancer information. You will be in my thoughts.
Helpful - 0
I'm sorry to hear your news. Stay strong! I will keep you in my prayers.
Helpful - 0
I wish I could say that we got good news, but we didn't. However, it could be a lot worse. The doctor said he had good news and bad news. The good news was: it is precancer; the bad news: it is cancer. It is DCIS-Ductal Carcinoma In Situ. (not sure spelling is correct) However, he gave me 2 choices. One-to have a lumpectomy and radiation; two-to have a masectomy with reconstruction. He drew it out and showed us; he gave us some pamplets to read and go over and said he wants to see me on Tuesday. If I have the lumpectomy with radiation and another calcification appears then it is to do all over again. With the masectomy, a plastic surgeon can do the reconstructive surgery immediately after the masectomy and I won't have to have radiation. I would only be out of work about 2 weeks max, he said may even be able to go back for 1/2 days the second week. So I can't stand thinking about having more surgery later on the same breast, so we are going with option 2. Masectomy. I feel at peace with my decision,but, today, I am down.  I have been reading up on everything and now I am feeling overwhelmed.  It just seems like there are so many decisions to make and I want to make the right ones.  I woke up at 2:30 this morning and did not go back to sleep until around 4:00 am.  My husband is taking this extremely hard, so worried about me, and he is a heart patient and diabetic so he does not need this stress on top of his job stress.  Please just pray that God's peace will continue and uphold me through this and my family.  One good thing is that I will be having so many holidays coming(I work at an elementary school) up with which I can rest and recoup.  We are out a whole week at Thanksgiving.  Just please, please uplift me in your prayers.
Thanks
Helpful - 0
With your family history of breast cancer they probably don't want to take any chances that they missed something but I'm not a medical professional. If you want a medical opinion you need to post a new question at the top. Also, this thread may close in a day or so since it is on the bottom.
Helpful - 0
I am 35 with a strong family hx of breast cancer.  I have been having mammograms since I was 31.  My most recent one showed a change from last year and I had a biopsy done a couple of weeks ago.  I was told that my biopsy was benign.  Some calcification was seen, but they had to look very hard to find it.  The surgeon seemed concerned that he either didn't remove all that he was trying to or that he missed it.  He scheduled me for another mammogram in a few more weeks to see if what they were seeing is still there.  He said it was benign, but should I still be worried or is he just being thorough?
Helpful - 0
127512 tn?1193742216
We will be praying. Let us know.
Helpful - 0
I finally had my procedure done yesterday(Fri).  Everything went good.  Except I thought they were going to kill me in radiology taking all of those mammograms and trying to pinpoint the area where the calcification was located.  They said it was very small and was really surprised the mammogram picked it up.  I had to stay depressed in the mammogram machine for 40 mins!  That was horrible.  But they were able to pinpoint the exact location, stick the needle and wire in and then readjust the depth of the wire to hit the spot.  The actual surgery only took 30 mins.  They gave me twilight sleep for that so that was good for me.  Dr. said he thinks the spot was benign, will get results when I return to his office on Tues.  I can't go back to work until he sees me though.  So I guess I will return on Wed.  No driving for 48 hrs. nor no shower for 48 hrs.  I am wearing a soft sports bra which is helping with the moving around, not bouncing.  thank you so much for your prayers and support during this time.  You all are wonderful to those going through these experiences.  Just continue to pray that the pathology report will be good news!  Thanks..
Helpful - 0
127512 tn?1193742216
Have you heard anything yet? What is your next step?
Helpful - 0
I'm still following your posts. Will continue to keep you in my prayers. Keep us posted.
Helpful - 0
Yes, as far as things stand now, I will have a small incision.  I'm going to call the Dr. office tomorrow to make sure of all the specifics.  I was really too nervous the day I went.  I normally have LOW blood pressure, but that afternoon it soared HIGH!  They said this is not unusual when patients first come in for consultation.  Anyway, will let you know what is planned.  I just truly dread this....I will be glad when this next week is over.
Helpful - 0
127512 tn?1193742216
I would have responded to tell you my horrific tell of my biopsy but I thought my pain was because they could not give me the shot with the ephinephrine in it because of a heart condition I have so I wasn't going to share my story. Sorry it was so painful. Keep up posted on the results.
Helpful - 0
Lucky you! Most everyone I know just have a local. Does your biopsy involve an incision? The biospies I've had have been core needle biopsies.
Helpful - 0
Just read about your biopsy.  I am scheduled to have one on Oct. 6 (my husband's birthday).  The surgeon I met and talked with told me I would be put to sleep.  I had to give them a list of the herbs I am currently taking so they could advise me of what I need to quit taking prior to my procedure.  They said everything was fine, but not to take anything with Garlic or Vitamin E because it will interfere with the anethesia.  So were you not put to sleep or not given that option?  Mine will be outpatient.  I really have a lot of questions, because this is my first.  I had 2 mammograms that came by showing calcifications...no lumps can be felt.  I have been going through menopause and had my last period last Dec.(2005).  Please let me know how you are doing!
Helpful - 0
I understand completely! My mother had breasy cancer and died 7 years later from secondary cancer in her bile duct/liver. Every biopsy I have is mental torture. It helps knowing we're not alone! Take care.
Helpful - 0
Thank you, sorry you had to go through the same thing and many other women also.  I just think the fear I feel takes over everything in my life, I can't stop crying and thinking what am I going to do if I end up having it.  I can't stop thinking about my sister who died and went through it also.  I will let you know what the outcome is again thank you and everyone else that has given me advise, much appreciated.
Helpful - 0
I'm sorry it was so painful for you. I have to say, all three of mine have not been fun either. I also had them keep giving me shots, to no avail. Finally I just squeezed the nurses hand really hard and told the radiologist to 'just get it done!' If I have to do this again next year, I want a sedative...and not valium...I want something much stronger!!

Keep using ice packs, then switch to warm compresses the next day. I found I recovered pretty quickly. Hopefully you will too. Wishing you the best...and the best results too!
Helpful - 0
Had my biopsy yesterday which was very painful from the first shot to the last, I made them keep giving shots because I felt everything. I was so nervous could not stop shaking and almost past out, I ask if they could give me something to relax they said no. Now I have to wait to hear the news they said earliest would be Friday lastest would be Tuesday.  Anyway, now I'm in pain and still worried.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breast Cancer Forum

Popular Resources
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.