Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Breast cyst and followup

Recently had a mammo and had to return for additional films and an ultrasound.  Films showed an asymmetric density and ultrasound shows a small hypoechoic lesion which could represent a small complex cyst measuring 3mm in size.  Additionally, the initial reports states that the breast parenchyma is again domnstrated to be extremely dense making exclusion of small masses difficult.  Suggest a follow-up  of lesion in six months.  Rated category 3 probably benign.  Is six months too long to wait for further evaluation?  I have consulted with a general surgeon who did a breast exam and he did not seem too worried and concluded the same as the radiologist.  I am a 45 year old female with no breast cancer hx in the family except grandmother in the age of her 70s.  Could you also explain what a hypoechoic lesion is and what a complex cyst means.  Little worried..thanks.
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A related discussion, No Follow-up for Breast Lump was started.
Helpful - 0
A related discussion, BREAST  FIBROID CYSYCYST was started.
Helpful - 0
My doctor found a small lump during exam... after ultrasound they said I had dense breast and the lump was a fibroid cyst. No further follow up needed. Does a fibroid cyst go away and what is dense breast?
Helpful - 0
A fibroid cyst is a fluid filled cyst. Sometimes they can get larger just before your period and shrink a bit after your period. I do not believe they go away. Each year when you have a mammo, they will relook at the cyst to see if any changes of concern are taking place. If yes, then they will aspirate or biopsy. If no concern, they will continue to watch.

Dense breasts means your tissue is thick and/or cystic, making it more difficult to view on mammo, etc. Do not be surprised or worried if you start needing ultra sounds after your mammos. With dense breasts, they sometimes need many different views to make sure they are seeing everything.
Helpful - 0
Dear question06:  Hypoechoic means that the lesion appears to have some solid components.  A complex cyst is a cyst that has septums or walls running through it and may appear more solid on mammogram.  The usual follow up is a 6 month follow-up mammogram. Most level 3 abnormalities do not receive initial biopsy.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breast Cancer Forum

Popular Resources
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.