Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Itchy Nipples - Breast Cancer

I am 23 years old and have been experiencing itchiness on my right nipple for a while now.  (It is only the right nipple) It has been coming and going for the past couple of months but its rather uncomfortable at the moment.  There seem to be a few small bumps on and around the nipple.  The reason I am concerned is my mother was diagnosed with Stage 2 breast cancer at the age of 43.  And they found it after testing because she kept complaining of an itchy nipple.  Should I make an appointment with my Doctor ASAP or am I being over cautious?
Many thanks
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Dear KMD005:  Skin on the nipple and breast is like skin on any other part of the body and is subject to a variety of skin abnormalities.  You may want to consider whether you have used any new soap, lotions, fabric detergent or softener or new bras that may be causing irritation.  Nonetheless, given your mother's experience, if you are concerned, have a doctor take a look.  
Helpful - 1
A related discussion, itchy nipple was started.
Helpful - 0
A related discussion, itching nipple was started.
Helpful - 0
A related discussion, itching nipple- age 43-not breastfeeding was started.
Helpful - 0
A related discussion, itchy nipple was started.
Helpful - 0
I was diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma June 2005 after discovering a very large lump right above my nipple.  Upon reflection I realized I had spent the entire previous winter putting lotion on that nipple because of constant itching.  The left one did not bother me at all.  This may be nothing but do not take that chance.  It is not worth it.
Helpful - 0
Gif
Please have your doctor check it.  I noticed a rash (no itching) around my left areola about 1 1/2 inches in diameter.  It was smooth, not warm to the touch. Though the nipple hardened upon touch and the areola crinkled up and was pale, much different than the right.  As soon as my doctor saw it, he made an appt. for me to have a mamo, and see my surgeon.  It was cancer.  Don't mess around or postpone ANY suspicious symptoms.  I have a medical background and yet I had never heard that a rash could be a symptom of cancer....  IT CAN!  Good luck.  Mary
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breast Cancer Forum

Popular Resources
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.