Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Understanding Mammogram result (First time mammogram) 38 years old

my mammogram result came back with the following impression:

Focal asymmetric density in the left breast. inner quadrant. Spot compression and 90 degree mediolateral projection is recommended. Notice that the spot compression should be performed in the CC view where the asymmetric density is more conspicious.

Needs additional imaging evaluation
11 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I always to check back to see how things turned out for all of  you but don't see any postings. I'll wish for the best and keep you all in my prayers.
Helpful - 1
A related discussion, I am waiting! was started.
Helpful - 0
So how did you make out?  I just got my mammogram results today with the same worfing "focal abnormalities".  Trying to be cool--a little bit freaked.....hope you found out it was nothing--most of this stuff usually is---prayers with you and prayers requested for me for anyone reading!!  Damn boobs!
Helpful - 0
There is a wonderful website for you to check out. Hopkinsbreastcenter.org. You can ask a question. I am only 43 & went through a Bilateral prophylactic mastectomy. (Both breasts removed) left breast cancer, right not. When all of this first started I would constantly go on the above website because it is expert advise. It helped me so, so much! Hang in there. From my experience of your results you will be fine. Ask questions & keep asking. Research on the web, ask your doctor, have a list of questions. My prayers are with you!
Helpful - 0
I know what you're going through. I had the same diagnosis when I went for my first mammogram almost a month ago. I too, go back on 3/8 for spot compression and ultrasound on the right. My doctor told me the same thing as your doctor. I'm trying to stay positive. Best of luck to you.
Helpful - 0
We are so good at worrying ourselves sick. I know because I do it, too. But so often these suspicious areas turn out to be nothing. It's just that we have to wait so long to find out! Your doctor sounded pretty upbeat. Try to dwell on your doctor's positive view and  good things happening in your life.
Helpful - 0
I know the fear.  I had a baseline at 36 also and had to have surgery for microcalcifications which proved to be benign.  I wish I had words to calm your fears.  The only thing I can say is try to remain calm and think positive.  Also, remember that they have to check every little thing...they don't want any lawsuits!  Your doctor doesn't think it is anything so hold onto that thought.  Even though it doesn't seem so, most follow ups like this turn out to be nothing.  And also remember that if it is the worst case senario, it was caught very early and therefore very treatable.  Please let us know how things work out.  You will be in my prayers.
Helpful - 0
I'm 36 years old and just had my first mammogram - baseline.  The test came back with additional views need on right breast with breast ultra sound recommended.  The test indicated asymetrical density - additional follow-up neccessary. I'm very nervous about these results.  My doctor said she could'nt feel any lumps in my exam and not to worry it was probably a shadow.  I'm afraid it means cancer.

I go for a follow up mammogram/ultasound on 3/8.  I don't know what to think.  If anyone has any reassuring words, I could sure use them right now.  
Helpful - 0
Hi!

Just wondering how things went with you spot compression.

Let me say this..........I had a spot compression this last Tuesday (the 20th) and I was so nervous as well.

The tech took a couple of pictures and said it looked like a cyst, but did not know for sure since she's not a doctor.  

So she did the spot compression, and said wait a minute. Apparently, the spot evened itself out and she said the doctor said I could go home.

What a relief............and ever since then I have been posting info on this site.  Believe me, the waiting is the hardest part of all of this.

But, be positive. Postive in, positive out.

The important thing is to get your results back and go from there.  A large majority of these are not cancerous!!!

So, be patient and let up know what happens.

Mammograms:  Saving lives, one woman at a time

God Bless
Helpful - 0
Thank you for your response. I have scheduled my spot compression imaging for tomorrow morning. I am a little nervous though.
Helpful - 0
242527 tn?1292449140
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Dear pattycd:  Focal asymmetry means that there is an area that does not appear normal as compared to the rest of the tissue. It means that further investigation, such as a spot compression and/or ultrasound are needed to further characterize the area. This could be as simple as some tissue folding over on itself in the first mammogram and this will resolve with spot compression. It is not uncommon to be called back for further evaluation. It does not necessarily mean cancer. It just means that further evaluation is needed.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breast Cancer Forum

Popular Resources
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.