Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Lymphatic invasive versus lymph node negative

My wife has recently been diagnosed with lymphatic invasive ductal breast cancer, but prior to this we were told that the cancer was lymph node negative (at least in the sentinile  node that they used for the biopsy). Can both these things be true or does this mean that upon further investigation they have chnged the diagnosis. HELP!
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Timothius, your wife prognosis depends on a combination of factors such as tumor size, hormone receptor status, Her 2 neu status, etc.  Angiolymphatic invasion means that the pathologist was able to see cancer cells in the middle of blood vessels.  Chemotherapy is used to treat any cancer cells that may have left tumor to settle somewhere else.  Please look at the big picture; the fact that your wife was node negative is a good thing but lymphatic invasion grants chemo and aggresive treatment.  Be supportive and pro-active, educate yourself; there are plenty of books out there.  I recommend Dr Susan Love Breast Book.  Take care and good luck to you both!
Helpful - 0
Thank you for your response. I guess what I really want is an honest answer about what my wife's long term prognosis is when she has angiolymphatic invasive tumor. Does the fact that the cancer was node negative not mean much in this case?
Helpful - 0
Dear timothius:  Are they describing the breast pathology?  If so, the pathologist has probably described it as having angiolymphatic invasion. This is a pathological description that makes a cancer invasive (e.g. invasive ductal carcinoma).  The lymph node pathology would reveal whether or not the lymph node has malignant cells in it.  This is a separate pathology.  So, if I understand your information correctly, yes, both of these statements could be true.  I hope this helps clarify.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breast Cancer Forum

Popular Resources
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.