Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
My wife is ER- and is concerned that everyone she speaks to is ER+. This is making her feel as though she is missing out on a treatment option, namely Tamoxifen.

Other details are

DX 06/11/01
age 35
lump size 1.8cm
No nodes involved
stage 3 aggresive cancer
Mastectomy due to large amount of pre-cancer in breast stopping a clear margin being made with lumpectomy.

What I would like is to give her some re-assurance that ER- is not all bad.

Thanks
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi Golitta

Thanks for your encouraging words, love and best of health to you and your family

Mike
Helpful - 0
"Hypospadius is a relatively common abnormality of the penis that appears as an abnormal opening of the penis (meatus) on the under side of the penis rather than at the end."

Helpful - 0
what is hypospadius?
Helpful - 0
Mike,
based on what you described your wife is stage 1 which is early cancer.  If she had a mastectomy and chemo (since tumor was over 1 cm and grade 3)she should have high expectations for cure.  It is very common for women her age to have ER- BC cancer.  My best wishes to you and your wife.
Helpful - 0
Dear Mike,  Estrogen receptor status is one of the factors used to determine types of treatment that may be beneficial in the treatment of breast cancer.   There is no evidence that taking Tamoxifen will improve survival or decrease the chance of recurrence if your tumor is not sensitive to estrogen.  This does not mean that women with ER negative tumors do much worse, only that Tamoxifen does not benefit them.  
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breast Cancer Forum

Popular Resources
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.