Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Birth Control Pills and Breast Cancer

I'm 25 years of age, and my Grandmother died of breast cancer nearly 25 years ago. I am currently taking microlite-combined oral contraceptive, yet at my last doctors appointment I did not know of my grandmothers cause of death. On the side of my pill packet it says to take extra precaution if you have a family history of breast cancer. My G.P. is away for the next month, hence I have not been able discuss it with her. Do you think it's safe for me to continue taking these pills? or should I stop immediately? Have I greatly increased my risk of breast cancer by taking these pills for the last year?! Please help, as I will not be able talk to my G.P. for at least a month! Thank you for your time!
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Dear rachael_25, Many of the studies regarding the effects of birth control pills and risk of breast cancer are difficult to interpret.  The reason's for this is there are so many different formulations of pills, earlier pills had higher levels of progesterone and estrogen than current birth control pills do.  The increased risk of breast cancer due to family history is usually looking at mother or sister with breast cancer.  Was your grandmother pre-menopausal when she developed breast cancer?  I would not immediately change what you are doing in terms of your contraceptives.  You are much better off waiting and discussing with your doctor the actual risks in relation to your individual situation.
Helpful - 0
My grandmother was pregnant with my father when she was diagnosed with breast cancer, and died a couple of years later. Would this make any difference?
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breast Cancer Forum

Popular Resources
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.