Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Lump near Surgical Scar

I had a partial mastectomy with lymph node disection on my left breast in Nov. 1999.  There were 2 out of 12 positive nodes.  I had 8 rounds of chemo. and 25 radiation treatments.
My underarm was feeling like I had pulled a muscle and when I was feeling it I found a small soft lump at the end of the scar.  I was wondering if it could be a recurrance or just something else?  I just had an exam by my oncologist last week with blood work done too.  Would a recurrance show up in blood work too?
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Than you for your information.  I did not find the lump till after the oncologist appointment.  Today I had an appointment with my radiologist oncologist.  She also felt the lump and is sending me for a Ct. Scan with contrast dye.  Would you please tell me what to expect?  Another question thatI was wondering about is when the lymph nodes are removed, do they take all of them?  Thanks,
         EllenJean
Helpful - 0
Dear EllenJean, The lump you are feeling could be a recurrence or it could be something else.  It would need to be further evaluated.  I wasn't sure by your comments if your oncologist had been aware of the change and examined it, if not you might want to bring it to the oncologist or your breast surgeon's attention, just to be on the safe side.  Blood work on a routine exam is usually checking your blood counts and general organ function, recurrence of breast cancer doesn't directly show up in the blood work.  Specific to the lump near the surgical scar, blood work would not determine if this was recurrence or not.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breast Cancer Forum

Popular Resources
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.